Bring4th

Full Version: antidepressants and spiritual progression
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are your thoughts on taking antidepressants and spiritual progression? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited due to TMI...
My psychiatrist prescribed Prozac to me when I told her that I was feeling suicidal. But it wasn't through depression. More that I was bored of life, and curious about what lies beyond. She told me last time to only take it when I need. I don't really get depressed though I do sleep a lot.

I am though on an antipsycotic, Risperdal. I used to hallucinate it was so bad.

Melissa

I think it's potentially dangerous to state that meds have a negative influence on 'spiritual progress'. Medication isn't less spiritual by any means (imo). What matters is how you feel, and if the meds enable you to work on certain issues then it's a great tool, not a solution, just a tool. I've been on antidepressants in the past but it made me even more apathetic so I decided (after consulting a psychotherapist) to quit after a few months. You could use the meds as a catalyst, to see why it doesn't feel 'right'?
Antidepressants are temporary relief from symptoms. Typically, people decide to take them in conjunction with other therapeutic or healing processes during the 'peak' of their distress. It may be a window of opportunity to set things in order while seeking other, more long-term solutions to problems. I doubt it stops spiritual process completely, unless one becomes rather catatonic while taking meds. My friend recently started taking a type of herbal antidepressant (bc she was breast feeding) and she described her relationship with the medicine as a temporary crutch bc she knew she would feel different once she went back to work. And she's doing great now. An alternative to psychotropic meds is more natural/herbal... those might take time to start working, but it does not have the same side-effects as psychotropics. Another one is probiotic, but not clinically tested. The most long-term effective solution for people is that they engage in some healing or therapeutic process. Meds are short-term relief. I think it's great that you are doing something about your situation.

What is normal like?

What differences are you experiencing?

Any plans for engaging in therapeutic or healing processes?

Big hugs!
(02-25-2014, 06:44 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]Antidepressants are temporary relief from symptoms. Typically, people decide to take them in conjunction with other therapeutic or healing processes during the 'peak' of their distress. It may be a window of opportunity to set things in order while seeking other, more long-term solutions to problems. I doubt it stops spiritual process completely, unless one becomes rather catatonic while taking meds. Meds are short-term relief. I think it's great that you are doing something about your situation.

What is normal like?

Big hugs!

My thoughts exactly. I continue with the healings and herbs. I think all will be well.
Edit: quoted original post removed by request.
Antidepressants and antipsychotics can be useful if you feel right about them.
Yeah, if one does research and knows benefits/risks of treatment + it's working fine for now, that's a great choice. We have to be in a space of 'safety' and some sense of normalcy to be able to begin to understand what is going on mentally or spiritually. Not all people are lucky tho, they may have adverse reactions to medication and use it bc they weren't aware of or have access to alternative treatment choices to select from.
I've heard it's bad to mix medication with alcohol, so I don't take my meds on nights that I have a drink. It's harder on the liver to do both.
I don't know anything about anti depressants. But I would say that a benefit to anxiety is astrology. For instance, astrology might show you something about yourself that you will never ever find from any other resource.
(02-25-2014, 06:36 PM)Melissa Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's potentially dangerous to state that meds have a negative influence on 'spiritual progress'. Medication isn't less spiritual by any means (imo). What matters is how you feel, and if the meds enable you to work on certain issues then it's a great tool, not a solution, just a tool. I've been on antidepressants in the past but it made me even more apathetic so I decided (after consulting a psychotherapist) to quit after a few months. You could use the meds as a catalyst, to see why it doesn't feel 'right'?

I agree. It's certainly more spiritual to take antidepressants than to top yourself. Also, when depression is very advanced, it might be necessary to take them to get oneself into a good enough shape to receive psychotherapy.

I was on antidepressants, too, because it was the best I could give myself at the time.

Now, we all know that antidepressants (as many other psychiatric and other drugs) are vastly abused. Sure, pharmaceutical co's make billions on pushing them to people who would do better learning a method to connect with themselves and manage their emotions (ranging from meditation to all sorts of self-help methods, many excellent).

This is my favourite method: Sedona Method & you can learn it from this movie http://members.lettinggo.tv/watch-letting-go-now/

It did more to me than all the antidepressants.

(02-25-2014, 06:44 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]Antidepressants are temporary relief from symptoms. Typically, people decide to take them in conjunction with other therapeutic or healing processes during the 'peak' of their distress. It may be a window of opportunity to set things in order while seeking other, more long-term solutions to problems. I doubt it stops spiritual process completely, unless one becomes rather catatonic while taking meds. My friend recently started taking a type of herbal antidepressant (bc she was breast feeding) and she described her relationship with the medicine as a temporary crutch bc she knew she would feel different once she went back to work. And she's doing great now. An alternative to psychotropic meds is more natural/herbal... those might take time to start working, but it does not have the same side-effects as psychotropics. Another one is probiotic, but not clinically tested. The most long-term effective solution for people is that they engage in some healing or therapeutic process. Meds are short-term relief. I think it's great that you are doing something about your situation.

I totall agree, you explained it in a great way.

What is normal like?
Is there such a thing? ;-) Especially for half-aliens? :-)))

More joy, stronger feeling that my life makes sense, greater ability for acceptance of what is and even appreciation of it. Inspiration. And, last but not least, more love and connection :-)

I think especially people like us benefit from engaging in some healing modality as a way of life. I have noticed that more and more it is becoming an attitude, a walking meditation. My "base-line" state is just so much more balanced and pleasant.

Big hugs!

Big hugs to you :-)
How about you, rie?

(02-25-2014, 07:14 PM)jacrob Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2014, 06:44 PM)rie Wrote: [ -> ]Antidepressants are temporary relief from symptoms. Typically, people decide to take them in conjunction with other therapeutic or healing processes during the 'peak' of their distress. It may be a window of opportunity to set things in order while seeking other, more long-term solutions to problems. I doubt it stops spiritual process completely, unless one becomes rather catatonic while taking meds. Meds are short-term relief. I think it's great that you are doing something about your situation.

What is normal like?

Big hugs!

My thoughts exactly. I continue with the healings and herbs. I think all will be well.

Yes, it will :-)
Talking with people who care helps a lot. You are doing great talking to us. Hugs :-)
I've had depression for most of my life, also been on a few different medications althoguh I'm not currently taking anything. I felt that a change of diet and walking everyday has helped me to get through it.

In regards to antidepressants affecting spiritual progression, I'm not sure if it does make any difference. I have a friend who is clairvoyant, she's on anitdepressants and all her spirit guides encourage her to stay on them and it hasn't affected her "sight", but I'm not sure if that's the answer you are after.
I feel that doctors often (usually at their authorities' discretion) explain peoples depression in a way that makes them sound like they are broken, sub-human, and beyond repair. This is then remedied with antidepressants, the most common of which (SSRI's) literally prevents the brain/body from destroying the old serotonin so it may be longer used. Kind of like how an MAOI prevents DMT from being re-absorbed.
My point is that a healthy lifestyle (including going to sleep and waking in rather regular intervals because serotonin and melatonin work on a reciprocal/ sinusoidal fashion (to inhibit one will inhibit the other)), fresh air, and last but not least; SUNLIGHT! can be helpful for restoring balance.
Who lives healthy lifestyles? Those who accept and therefore are here to enjoy life. Who gets depressed? People who are having trouble accepting catalyst (aka life). Distortions in the mind complex readily affect the physical apparatus through which experience is garnered (acceptance/rejecting of catalyst). This body is that medium.

edited for clarity
Quote:84.17: ...Indeed, the body complex as a whole is greatly misunderstood due to the post-veiling assumption that the physical manifestation called the body is subject only to physical stimuli. This is emphatically not so.
(02-26-2014, 01:11 PM)primordial abyss Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:84.17: ...Indeed, the body complex as a whole is greatly misunderstood due to the post-veiling assumption that the physical manifestation called the body is subject only to physical stimuli. This is emphatically not so.

All v true, P.A., I agree that nature is healing and that it's important what you think etc. And doctors do push drugs on people.

But, sometimes depression gets so far that those drugs are necessary, at least for a while. I wouldn't like anyone who decided to take them to suddenly feel guilty or weak.

I think most people do the best they can according to their knowledge of the moment.
It would seem there are various contributing causes of depression symptoms which would determine the relative severity (degree of dibilitation) of the condition. The most common, general cause would seem to be when an habitual pattern of mind has been established that forms the basis of the recognition of self. Depending on this pattern, the body itself may be guided in its expression. This expression, in turn, feeds back to the mind (emotionally and physically) which may help reinforce the pattern.
What Jacrob did was find out what worked for her. If it worked fine for now, that's a fantastic thing. Imagine living with paranoia and anxiety and whatnot and being unable to do anything about it. The inability to find some resolution might amplify whatever aversive experience she is going through. She made a good choice based on her experience and that's that, and, being a spiritually oriented person she's going to figure out what this catalyst is about and do what she needs to do.

Long term experience in distressing situation can lead to development of secondary conditions - like depression and anxiety. Some choose to take care of these secondary conditions so they could dig deeper to the core issues. It's really what works for that individual, not social commentary (with what we 'should do') or what doctors say. But most experts will dictate what needs be done, doctors and anti-doctors alike lol.
(02-26-2014, 11:33 AM)primordial abyss Wrote: [ -> ]..a healthy lifestyle (including going to sleep and waking in rather regular intervals.., fresh air, and last but not least; SUNLIGHT! can be helpful for restoring balance.
I'd like to add spending time in nature. Being in the presence of trees can be quite therapeutic.
From personal experience, use psychotropic drugs only as a last resort. I got put on Abilify (an antipsychotic) a few years ago and the side effects were so bad for me (nonstop restlessness) they prescribed a medication for that medication and I'm like screw this crap, it's going to kill me. Taking a med for a med? Never heard of it!!

So I quit using that stuff and never used meds ever again except for my herb which is FAR better for me. The meds didn't even do anything for me because I had no problem in the first place. I just ran my mouth too much and SAID crazy stuff because my ex-drove me crazy and SAID I wanted to kill myself so boom got put in the hospital. All I needed to get better was time.

"It's a genetic thing" works half and half with me. My dad is diagnosed bi-polar but he is a lot worse than me, plus he doesn't do anything and has a poor diet/diabetic, and has cancer....go figure.

With my "depression", it usually stems from my own personal issues and acceptance issues so I can't say there is a "chemical imbalance" in my brain.

I saw this video and it just reaffirmed my stance against head meds (unless you really really need them)..

And remember, whenever you are "depressed", there is always someone else in the world who is far worse off than you, so think about that.
(03-03-2014, 02:15 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]And remember, whenever you are "depressed", there is always someone else in the world who is far worse off than you, so think about that.
unless that's why you were depressed to begin with, then try thinking about things that you enjoy Wink