Bring4th

Full Version: "Psychiatry Now Admits It's Been Wrong in Big Ways - But Can It Change?"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Supposedly an investigative journalist is shaking up the psychiatry community. This article is an interview with him. The author and interviewer is a clinical psychologist.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/22266...-it-change

Quote:"In Anatomy of an Epidemic, you also discussed the pseudoscience behind the "chemical imbalance" theories of mental illness - theories that made it easy to sell psychiatric drugs. In the last few years, I've noticed establishment psychiatry figures doing some major backpedaling on these chemical imbalance theories. For example, Ronald Pies, editor-in-chief emeritus of the Psychiatric Times stated in 2011, "In truth, the ‘chemical imbalance' notion was always a kind of urban legend - never a theory seriously propounded by well-informed psychiatrists."

edit: working link.
that link is broken xise? I'm getting a 'webpage is not available error'.

- -

but yeah, it always amazed me how quickly the Prozac industry took off in the mid-90's ... one minute people were just 'depressed', and then a few years later, millions upon millions of people were on pills.

I think mental issues are always going to show up as physiologically altered conditions (yes, physically measurable chemical changes), but the resolution is not in changing the chemistry, its in changing the mind/attitudes which will then reflect as more healthy chemistry later down the track.

whenever I suffered from periodic blues/depression for a period during college, it was definitely linked to circumstances and my response to them. Ie, there was causation and reactivity. And even then, I found ways to work with those 'moods'.
"The mind contains all things. Therefore, you must discover this completeness within yourself."
Bruce Levine rocks. I've been a fan of his for a while now lol