Bring4th

Full Version: This Insane New App Will Allow You To Read Entire Novels In Under 90 Minutes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Melissa

"The reading game is about to change forever. Boston-based software developer Spritz has been in "stealth mode" for three years, tinkering with their program and leasing it out to different ebooks, apps, and other platforms.

Now, Spritz is about to go public with Samsung's new line of wearable technology.

Other apps have offered up similar types of rapid serial visual presentation to enhance reading speed and convenience on mobile devices in the past.

However, what Spritz does differently (and brilliantly) is manipulate the format of the words to more appropriately line them up with the eye's natural motion of reading.

The "Optimal Recognition Point" (ORP) is slightly left of the center of each word, and is the precise point at which our brain deciphers each jumble of letters.

The unique aspect of Spritz is that it identifies the ORP of each word, makes that letter red and presents all of the ORPs at the same space on the screen.

In this way, our eyes don't move at all as we see the words, and we can therefore process information instantaneously rather than spend time decoding each word.

Try it for yourself."

250 words p/m
[Image: l6l5s-250.gif]

350 words p/m
[Image: jvjj9-350.gif]

500 words p/m
[Image: ebhfo-500.gif]

Source
I can't really handle the 350 WPM and higher speed. I don't retain the meaning of what I am reading. The 250 is quite comfortable but I might prefer something like 275 or 300.

Fang

Haha that's pretty cool. A few years ago I taught myself how to speed read which has been a damn handy asset, this kind of thing could help peeps a lot. Thanks for sharing
speed reading is great and all, but at the end of the day, it's all about the comprehension.

because of the nature of my job which involves moving through huge volumes of text, the actual skill in 'reading' is being able to scan quickly, and identify the unique or the non-repeated or novel sections of text. Then you can hone in on what you need to hone in on, rather that diffusing the attention on things that don't need one's attention.
I like taking my time reading a good book, particularly if it's on a topic I enjoy such as after life, or life between lives. Or the Law of One.
That's really cool. I'm surprised that I can understand the 500 wpm one quite easily. However I'm with Gemini, I like to take my time with books Smile

My reading style is usually read one or two sentences and then put the book down for a minute to think about what I just read before continuing on. Needless to say it takes me a long time to get through a book Tongue I do feel like I get a lot out of that reading style though. I guess it depends on what I'm reading though and how much 'unpacking' it needs.

Melissa

Don't think I'll use it, maybe for fun, but I find this stuff -the technology, fascinating. Had this been available for textbooks, 500 years ago when studying dreadful subjects was inevitable, it would've saved me a huge amount of frustration/boredom.
Could read it fine, but you don't really take it in properly at that speed. Maybe if it read every sentence or paragraph twice it would be a good tool.

Fang

In order to retain information read very quickly it's pretty important to be relaxed while doing it. My method includes a specific type of meditation beforehand that really gets me in the "zone" lol.

And really, like Spritz say, I found that when done well speed reading actually improves reading comprehension. It's just a retraining of the body, the way we're taught to read in school by focusing on one word then moving to the next is really quite inefficient I've found.
To be honest, I am not a big fan of the idea of speed reading in the first place. I think if you are trying to read and comprehend something too quickly, discernment goes out the window and you are simply memorizing something. Many (all?) people have a tendency to confuse something that is a memory vs something they like. It is very easy to indoctrinate someone who is hell bent on memorizing something because they don't have time to stop and ask them selves "does this really make sense?". This is why any form of commercial advertising works (even annoying advertisements) because your brain eventually mesmerizes the brand/product. For example, when you are at the grocery store looking to buy breakfast cereal, you see a brand that has been heavily advertised and think "that sounds good" but really you are experiencing "that looks familiar".

*Edit: Typo
I'd read this forum at that pace.