Bring4th

Full Version: Ephram's Tragic Flaw (Everwood)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
this is one beautiful scene from the tv show Everwood. Brought a tear to my eye. It speaks to catalyst, it speaks to change, it speaks to our long-held biases, and clinging to clings that are things from the past. It speaks to not wanting to readjust, not quite knowing how to re-adjust, but just repeating the same difficult behaviours over and over again, like the dull knock of a hammer on the side of a tree.

Everood Wrote:The more things change, the more they stay the same. I’m not sure who the person was to say that – maybe it was William Shakespeare or perhaps Sting – but at the moment, it’s the line that best explains my tragic flaw – my inability to change. I don’t think I’m alone in this. The more I get to know people, the more I realize it’s everyone’s flaw.

Staying exactly the same for as long as possible and standing perfectly still feels better, or at least the pain is familiar if you’re suffering.

If you took that leap of faith, one outside the box, if you did something unexpected, who knows what other pain might be waiting out there.

It could be worse pain, so we maintain the status quo and stay on the road always traveled.

It doesn’t seem so bad – not as bad as flaws go. You’re not a drug addict; you’re not killing anybody, except yourself a little. But when we finally do change, it doesn’t happen like an earthquake or an explosion or, all of a sudden, we’re a different person.

I think it’s smaller, the kind of thing people wouldn’t even notice unless they looked really close which, thank God, they never do. But you notice it. Inside, it feels like a world of difference. You finally become the person you’re meant to be forever, and you hope you’ll never have to change again.

-- From “Everwood.”

so beautifully expressed.
Touching. Yeah, it's hard for me to change too. To release my expectations.