Bring4th

Full Version: None of Them Knew
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Joe Celebrity walks into an expensive restaurant in Hollywood. The restaurant is full of people. Some are there are on dates, others are hanging with friends, there’s even a marriage proposal going on in the corner. All told, maybe 70 patrons are happily dining in the restaurant tonight.

Joe Celebrity walks up to the maitre’d and whispers something in his ear. The host steps back in surprise and says, “Are you sure, sir? There are many here tonight? Why the bar alone …”

Joe Celebrity interrupts the man and says, “Yes, absolutely. And here’s my card. I’ll send someone to pick it up at closing.” Joe left the restaurant, walking back outside.

The maitre’d steps toward the center of the room and announces in a loud voice, “Everyone, may I have your attention? Tonight your meal will be paid for by Mr. Celebrity. Everything is on him!”

There is a loud murmur from the crowd, and applause breaks out. Smiling faces abound, and more than one person calls for his waiter so he can order more drinks.

But inside their minds something is happening…

“What a show off. That guy just wants attention.”

“What a nice guy to pay for everyone’s meal like that.”

“Who does he think he is? Does he think he’s better than I am? I’ll pay for my own meal thank you!”

“I always heard he was generous.”

“This is freakin’ awesome! I’m going to try that Scotch I’ve been wanting but couldn’t afford.”

“I don’t even know who that was. Is he famous?”

“That guy’s a horrible actor. I hate his movies.”

“What a fun story we will have to share with the kids!”

“What a class act! That guy is a real gentleman.”

“He sure made tonight special for us!”

“I wonder how many frequent flier miles he just bought.”

“If I had his money I’d donate most of it to charity. No one needs that kind of wealth.”

“What a pompous, arrogant prick. Who does he think he is?”

“That’s right, dick, buy your way onto the front cover of a tabloid with this ridiculous display of fake generosity.”

“I guess he needed the tax write off.”

Seventy opinions, seventy reactions, all in response to one single act.

But none of them knew why he did it. None of them could even guess. Because none of them actually knew him.

None of them knew that he was sitting in this restaurant a year ago when his mother told him she had a lump in her breast.

None of them knew that this was the restaurant where his world came crashing down upon him; when he realized that no matter how much money he had, he couldn’t save her.

None of them knew that this was the anniversary of the day he started counting the minutes that he would still have a mother on this earth; the day he dropped everything to spend as much time with her as he could. He had a year with her.

None of them knew the real reason he paid for everyone’s meal that night; to honor his mother, to pay homage to her spirit, her strength, her generosity, her love.

They couldn’t know, but they all thought they did. Their assumptions about his motives said more about them than about him. But it didn’t matter. He didn’t really need them to know.

He knew, and that was enough.

*sniped* from Erin Pavlinas blog
It's easy to jump to conclusions isn't it?
Neat example of the reflective nature of our reality. With the intentions of others hidden from us, we have the opportunity to project our own biases onto the actions of others. This gives us an incredible resource in the reflection that is our reality. The source of the reactions of these patrons lies in our unconscious mind. Perhaps some will not become conscious of their reaction and continue on, perhaps the catalyst offered strengthening their bias and causing them to become even more hardened in their unconscious ways. But each would have the opportunity, after reacting in the spontaneous and honest way, to think back about the event and ask themselves, "Why did I react like that? What makes me think I know his intentions? Where did my thoughts truly come from?" Following these questions to the heart of self will shed these distortions so the automatic response in any similar situation will simply be love and compassion, and balance will be found.
What if this person did it only to show off? Should he still be accepted? Wink
This is a beautiful teaching

Melissa

Thanks for posting Raz. This reminds me of the time I offered some stuff for free, since I didn't need it anymore, on a dutch website similar to ebay and some folks actually went out of their way to send me 'hate' mail, first they didn't believe it was for free, then the name-calling started. Totally weird experience. Though it was interesting to see how everyone questioned (several times even) if it was truly for free, even the shiny happy people, so to speak.