Bring4th

Full Version: The week is long, the weekend is short (about work)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gemini Wolf mentioned in a recent post that he found that the week was too long, and that the weekend was too short.

do you find this to be the case? and is there anything you can do to change one's interaction with the work week to make it more palatable?

- -

for my own experience, I found that fulltime work was too much of a drag. And I know plenty of people work more than the standard 40 hours (so I shouldn't be in any way complaining lol), but when I dropped to four days (as I've mentioned so many times before), it was such a better balance for me personally. And it was made all the better because I dropped the Wednesday out of my week - so I only worked 2 consecutive days, a day off, then 2 days on, then the weekend. A much better balance for me.

but not everyone has that option/luxury.

does scheduled exercise make the work-week go faster? doing stuff in one's lunch break?
If you want the work week to go by faster, you may want to find why you don't enjoy your job rather than trying to make yourself unconscious of it completely through a faster progression of time.
A concept for work that I've always thought would be ideal is if everyone had 3-4 jobs, with their primary job taking up at least half of the work week, being aligned with their highest desire to serve society in whatever way is best for them. The other jobs wouldn't necessarily be their highest interest but they would be in a field which interested them.

Geoff Lawton talks about this idea in regards to a permaculture based society. If everyone's 3rd or 4th job was tending to a community's food system for just a few hours a week (or more, if that was your desire), we wouldn't necessarily need an agriculture industry, it would be something that sprung naturally within local communities, and in abundance (based on permaculture growing systems). Everyone would be satisfied in their search for meaning within society because we'd be exploring and learning about our interests through our jobs.

I believe in a system like this we wouldn't really need weekends or a structured work week. The mundanity of a typical work week wouldn't be an issue because all of our time wouldn't be spent working within the rails of a single job. I think this would help people have an experience of "being alive" rather than just striving to live. It would really excite me if this type of system became feasible in my lifetime.
(06-11-2014, 10:20 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote: [ -> ]A concept for work that I've always thought would be ideal is if everyone had 3-4 jobs, with their primary job taking up at least half of the work week, being aligned with their highest desire to serve society in whatever way is best for them. The other jobs wouldn't necessarily be their highest interest but they would be in a field which interested them.

it's definitely an issue that requires a societal level of change and embracing.

that said, individuals are taking the initiative into their own hands and making the changes in their own lives, one by one.

going to part-time (if the option is even remotely feasible) is one of the most empowering things that I did in my life.
If the work week seems too slow and the weekend seems too fast then you need to find a more enjoyable job.
(06-12-2014, 09:57 AM)Jeremy Wrote: [ -> ]If the work week seems too slow and the weekend seems too fast then you need to find a more enjoyable job.

yeah, that's good advice!
The perception of time is subject to change. Consciously master this lesson and you will not suffer due to the cycle of time.
The weekend seems shorter because I sleep more, and thus have fewer hours of consciousness. I slept a bunch today, and time flew. Work is ok for me. There are worse things I could be doing. At least I don't got to do any dirty jobs. I can't complain. It pays the bills.