Bring4th

Full Version: Losing Weight Veggie style.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i have lost a good amount of weight by turning veggie. Dropped from about 18 stone down to 14 stone now. However i have hit a wall and am considering dropping the veggie diet.

Just now i eat, Oats, Granola or Eggs in the morning.

Lunch is Soup.

For dinner is a little different most nights but basically Tofu/Chickpeas/Lentils/Qourn with whole meal rice/pasta.

I snack on fruit and sometimes rice/oat cakes but not a lot.

I was considering changing it to.

Eggs, Tuna Salad, Chicken Breast veggies and protein shake at night.
With a couple of pieces of fruit for snacks.

My theory is that the high carb veggie diet has reached its point and i need to try low carb high protein diet.

What do you guys think?

I am hitting the gym 3 times a week doing a split routine with cardio.
(06-25-2014, 08:05 AM)Matt1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am hitting the gym 3 times a week doing a split routine with cardio.

Consider increasing to 4-5x and solely focussing on Cardio (Long low intense rather than HIIT). It's possible you're cutting fat yet bulking at the same time which is skewing results. The reliable measure is how you look in the mirror.

You'd do well reducing the carbs as this is likely your body's primary energy source at the moment. Need to switch it to use internal stores.
I thnk you need more beans. Consider adding algae to your diet as well.
I eat Beans now and again.

Its difficult to cut back on carbs on a veggie diet.
(06-25-2014, 09:34 AM)Matt1 Wrote: [ -> ]I eat Beans now and again.

Its difficult to cut back on carbs on a veggie diet.

Can't see why you'd be hitting a plateau tbh. Obviously now that your body mass has decreased so will caloric intake, so it may be worth calculating your current body needs and the deficit by the diet/exercise. If there's little difference you probably need to go a little more aggressive. Could also be water retention, so I wouldn't go by the day to day scale measurement as a guide, but rather by week for consistency.

Also worth nothing that I find fat can act as a buffer, and on a psychological level a symbol for providing an extra layer of protection. It can also refer to the need to 'hold on', or 'cling' to old baggage that no longer serves on a mental level. Taking this analog into account, and if this is the case, the corresponding mental catalyst would also need to be assimilated before the corresponding physical changes can be made, so to speak.
I'm at the earlier stages of speculating on a weight loss theory: There are typically two types of people who have difficulty with weight loss, types C and E.

Type C:
These people mainly lose weight by watching their caloric intake. This is who I am. Exercise can and does help, but I find for myself that heavy caloric restriction dieting supplemented by modest exercise is the silver bullet for me personally. Extreme exercise with modest caloric restrict is much slower and harder for me when it comes for weight loss. These people are often people with slow natural metabolism - my random speculation is that these people respond minimally the 24 elevation in metabolism that is associated with exercise.

But personally, don't get me wrong - I like to exercise, and some months I'm into running (10-14 miles a week, sometimes 4 miles at a stretch) until my ankles start to act up. If I ever get around to focusing on my ankle muscles, I may one day do a half-iron with my friends but I digress.

Type E:
These people lose weight the fastest by heavy exercise supplemented with modest caloric restrict dieting (you after all always have to consider calories in and calories out). My speculation is these are people who have fast metabolism and/or respond well to the 24+ hour metabolism increasing effects of daily exercise.

Other Types:
There's also people in the middle of the spectrum, but when people have trouble losing weight and have tried a program that 'should work', I speculate it's usually because they are either type C or type E people are using the wrong approach to losing weight.

Testing out this speculative theory on you, do you have a slow or fast metabolism? Have you tried periods of heavy exercise (35+ minutes of almost daily of heavy exercise) with moderate caloric restriction (say eating your suggested caloric intake despite your increased exercise)? Have your tried periods of moderate exercise (35+ minutes of exercise around once in three days or some equivalent) with heavy caloric restriction (say eating 2/3s your suggested caloric intake, or if that makes you feel like s***, intermitten fasting or even periods of water fasting interspersed with periods of eating normally)?

-----

All this speculation aside, I think every body is different. You have to find what works for you.
(06-25-2014, 08:05 AM)Matt1 Wrote: [ -> ]However i have hit a wall and am considering dropping the veggie diet.

What is this "wall"? Are you saying you couldn't lose any more weight?
Yeah basically that's it. I have now since start a high protein low carb diet. Hopefully that will kick start things again. I goto the gym 4 days a week.