Bring4th

Full Version: science fiction vs fantasy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Science Fiction and Fantasy form a pairing in the fiction world. They are not necessarily opposed, but they definitely explore different types of domains.

I guess I would define:

* fantasy: a 'sword and sorcery' backdrop, or dungeons and dragons
* sci-fi: a more futuristic backdrop, with lots of tech

as a fiction (both novels, movies, and in games) what do you think these two separate genres offer us, in terms of exploring aspects of the self?

archetypal fantasy examples: Conan the Barbarian, World of Warcraft
archetypal sci-fi examples: Star Trek, Mass Effect
Most anime mix these two quite heavily as well as a few rpg's. Shadowrun is a good example of contemporary/near future fantasy which sports heavy scifi elements. Another good example would be the Fading Suns 'paper & pen' RPG where interstellar travels, power shields, swords and 'magic' go hand in hand.

Sorry to derail but I mostly look to the fusion of both instead of trying to separate them.

Great stereoarchetypes for Fantasy and Sci-fi could possibly be Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Warhammer 40000.

To me, they mostly offer unique or different conditions for exploring the same issues of the self. As I've RPG'd alot in both Fantasy and Scifi settings there usually aren't large differences.

A notable difference occuring in Scifi is isolation, either physical or informational. It's one of the 'scariest' issues in a world where information are close at hand and knowledge is widespread. No one wants to be stuck in the dark between the stars.

For Fantasy it is more often the acceptance of no control (huge monsters, dragons and wild magic).

Naturally there's a great overlap. In Star Wars, for example, there's a heavier focus on monsters and magic than normal. In Westeros there's focus on information and isolation.

In essence, from a gamer PoV, I see no difference in the issues brought up rather than how they are represented.