Bring4th

Full Version: Psychologists Find that Agreeable People Are More Likely to Hurt You
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://io9.com/psychologists-find-that-n...1597267257

Quote:People with more agreeable, conscientious personalities are more likely to make harmful choices. In these new obedience experiments, people with more social graces were the ones who complied with the experimenter's wishes and delivered electric shocks they believed could harm an innocent person. By contrast, people with more contrarian, less agreeable personalities were more likely to refuse to hurt other people when told to do so.
have you ever hurt anyone Adonai?
Psych research is always ultra contextual.
(06-28-2014, 05:03 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]have you ever hurt anyone Adonai?

As a young student, I received over 30 different referrals to the principal's office for violating school protocol and punished each and every time by either being forced to sit in silence for long periods of time or going to an after school bootcamp. I've been considered irresponsible, disrespectful. For what you may ask?

Not ever doing my homework and not following related procedures.

No, I haven't hurt a fly. I have always consistently neglected authority however. I will never follow protocol but I will never hurt a person. That's why I like this study.
I almost got paddled in school once. I don't remember what for. But I have never hurt anyone physically before. Emotionally I have though through disagreements. I've killed many flies before.
These are like the perfect research summaries you find floating on the internet to use for personal/political purposes to make some point lol. Reading the research and understanding how we can generalize the findings is probably wise bc the findings can be used in ways to merely confirm our biases. I agree research can be ultra-contextual.
Somebody has to make research available to the layman in some way, else it will become irrelevant. This may not be a quality case but every man should not be expected to have to read intensively.
Quote: Psychologists Find that Agreeable People Are More Likely to Hurt You

Cynicism Linked to Greater Dementia Risk, Study Finds
Cynicism would mean I'm not open to the possibility of agreeable people being helpful and not hurting me.

However, I have noticed a trend that people who try to be agreeable all the time will often throw me under the bus the moment I don't agree with them. "Nice" and "polite" people often remind me of the people who wash windows of cars of people who never asked for it, who then get pissed when they don't get paid.

It's conditional love embodied. Everybody is nice and respectful when you are nice and respectful. When you have one quality that is disdained heavily enough, you're thrown to the street corner. Then you're invited back when you're willing to submit.
(06-28-2014, 08:35 PM)Adonai One Wrote: [ -> ]Cynicism would mean I'm not open to the possibility of agreeable people being helpful and not hurting me.

However, I have noticed a trend that people who try to be agreeable all the time will often throw me under the bus the moment I don't agree with them. "Nice" and "polite" people often remind me of the people who wash windows of cars of people who never asked for it, who then get pissed when they don't get paid.

It's conditional love embodied. Everybody is nice and respectful when you are nice and respectful. When you have one quality that is disdained heavily enough, you're thrown to the street corner. Then you're invited back when you're willing to submit.

I don't know if you are referring to me and my passion in the wikipedia thread brother, but I want to be clear that the whole wikipedia thing (rightly or wrongly) triggered my distortion toward "fighting for fairness and impartiality." Perhaps it's based on lack of understanding of other's actions, and non-acceptance of a perceived unfair, partial, and biased situation/present moment that those actions created.

It's the same distortion that gave me great passion in defending the accused as a public defender against my perception (and actuality) of police/prosecutors/judges misleading/lying about the state of the evidence or law in order to create a result they prejudged as to be the right outcome - the conviction of my client, at nearly all costs and without a concern for the integrity of the process.

It's sometimes evident in some threads where unless I feel strongly about issue myself, I'll sometimes try to balance a discussion with points for the perceived "underdog" position. In any case, this distortion still has a lot of passion within me, so perhaps it will be next on the butcher's block for distortions to be worked upon.

Regardless, don't take things personally man. We're all incarnating here to air out our own dirty laundry and we're all learning about love in the process.
Xise, let me tell you about an inner-working of my mind: I thought about you while writing that but in a complete opposite way. You are very unconditionally loving to me, the total opposite of what I wrote.
(06-28-2014, 09:06 PM)Adonai One Wrote: [ -> ]Xise, let me tell you about an inner-working of my mind: I thought about you while writing that but in a complete opposite way. You are very unconditionally loving to me, the total opposite of what I wrote.

That warmed my heart man.

<insert awkward bro hug here.>

[Image: 92226-Tom-Cruise-hugs-Val-Kilmer-gif-58Ox.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: tumblr_inline_msfxeo8zMC1qz4rgp.gif]
(06-28-2014, 05:56 PM)Adonai One Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-28-2014, 05:03 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]have you ever hurt anyone Adonai?

As a young student, I received over 30 different referrals to the principal's office for violating school protocol and punished each and every time by either being forced to sit in silence for long periods of time or going to an after school bootcamp. I've been considered irresponsible, disrespectful. For what you may ask?

Not ever doing my homework and not following related procedures.

No, I haven't hurt a fly. I have always consistently neglected authority however. I will never follow protocol but I will never hurt a person. That's why I like this study.

I guess your principles are very important to you then Smile

that's very admirable to follow your truth, even when it means swimming against the tide.

That made me laugh. Because in the context of the conversation it is unlikely that Adonai has gone with the crowd in order to avoid upsetting the social convention.
(06-28-2014, 07:29 PM)reeay Wrote: [ -> ]These are like the perfect research summaries you find floating on the internet to use for personal/political purposes to make some point lol. Reading the research and understanding how we can generalize the findings is probably wise bc the findings can be used in ways to merely confirm our biases. I agree research can be ultra-contextual.

Reeay's post reminded me of Ra's response to law making and enslavement.

Quote:83.14 Questioner: I would say that a very high percentage of the laws and restrictions within what we call our legal system are of a nature of enslavement of which I just spoke. Would you agree with this?

Ra: I am Ra. It is a necessary balance to the intention of law, which is to protect, that the result would encompass an equal distortion towards imprisonment. Therefore, we may say that your supposition is correct. This is not to denigrate those who, in green- and blue-ray energies, sought to free a peaceable people from the bonds of chaos but only to point out the inevitable consequences of codification of response which does not recognize the uniqueness of each and every situation within your experience.