Bring4th

Full Version: Shamanism?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another footstep down the allegorical path and my feet land at Shamanism. My interest has been peeked by a particular dream involving a black panther and it's mother. Anyone know any good books on shamanism?. Any general information on the subject is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
I used to study under http://shamanelder.com/

Shaman Elder Maggie.

I never got that far because my heart wasn't really in it.
The Sin Eater's Last Confessions

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0738713562...ot_redir=1

I highly recommend this book for reading. It's a fairly quick read. I read it in one sitting unable to put it down.
- There's Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy by Mircea Eliade..which is the standard..he's a great author in general. The Myth of the Eternal Return is a good book detailing how we came to live with the concept of time, though it has nothing to do with shamanism really.

- Shamanic Voices: A Survey of Visionary Narratives

- Shaman: The Wounded Healer

- I'm reading Plant Spirit Shamanism: Traditional Techniques for Healing the Soul right now, which is more of a book on technique..I like it!

- Sacred Vine of Spirits: Ayahuasca is sitting on my bookshelf but I haven't gotten to it yet. There are probably a lot of excerpts from the shamans themselves.

- I would definitely look into books on Aborigines. Magical things happen for them in their culture all the time. It's said they're the oldest living culture on earth. I heard someone recommend this book..
Aboriginal Men of High Degree: Initiation and Sorcery in the World's Oldest Tradition.

You'll find that the shaman's view on illness or any other problem is in alignment with the concepts discussed on this forum. Ill-health is seen as having to do with our relationship with and perception of others.

- I recently came across this article about the Senoi people from Malaysia, who place great importance on dreaming.
Thanks for the recommendations i'll have look at all of them and let my intuition pick a book for me Smile
I hear good things about Shamanism As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life by Tom Cowan
I'll probably check it out.
(06-30-2014, 03:18 PM)Rake Wrote: [ -> ]Another footstep down the allegorical path and my feet land at Shamanism. My interest has been peeked by a particular dream involving a black panther and it's mother. Anyone know any good books on shamanism?. Any general information on the subject is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Agua's a shaman. When he returns in Mid-December, you should PM him and ask him for tips.
(10-15-2019, 11:13 PM)EvolvingPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2014, 03:18 PM)Rake Wrote: [ -> ]Another footstep down the allegorical path and my feet land at Shamanism. My interest has been peeked by a particular dream involving a black panther and it's mother. Anyone know any good books on shamanism?. Any general information on the subject is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Agua's a shaman. When he returns in Mid-December, you should PM him and ask him for tips.

Did he tell you that? Traditionally a shaman wouldn't identify as one.
I'd probably rather say he's practicing shamanism.