Bring4th

Full Version: Thoughts on Osho?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Osho was a prolific individual, and I used to pass by his section in the metaphysical bookshop that I used to visit a lot in the early 2000's/late 1900's. He had his own shelf basically.

I never did read any of his books though. I flipped through a few, but never gave it a serious attention.

Until now that is. One of my favourite anarchist friends recommended the "Book of Secrets' by Osho recently, and I enjoyed looking at the amazon reviews before plunging in.

The book is basically a commentary on a particular Sutra, and if the Sutra was compiled in one place, it would look like a poem that might cover 5 pages. However. with the detailed commentary and analysis, Osho's book expands to 800+ pages. The man does have a lot to say indeed.

The primary focus of the Sutra in question is 112 different methods of working with the breath and awareness so that a deeper level of self may be realised. This begins with the more classic techniques of breath meditation, of which the more common variants will be familiar to those who have even had a passing interest in stilling the mind; namely, observing the breath at different stages as it comes into, bottoms out, and then exits the lungs/nostrils.

The book continues on with various critiques of other philosophies; including well known figures in both the West and the East. Krishnamurti gets a mention, as does Bertrand Russell, Rousseau, and many others. The author (Osho) definitely had a broad and comprehensive intellectual grasp, and offers a comprehensible deconstruction of other thought systems and processes; pointing out various flaws and possible misunderstandings in those other systems.

Overall, Osho comes across as very convincing in this book (which was a collection of various talks he had given). For people who have 'been' to, and experienced various altered states of consciousness, Osho's descriptions of those mental regions will ring true and familiar.
I read a book by him I was very impressed by. He talks about how he got fired from a school because his lectures were too creative.

I also read some stuff about him that was less than flattering from an astrology book I have. I would have to dig it out though.
(07-08-2014, 10:55 AM)Raz Wrote: [ -> ]*Osho quotes*

“Be realistic: Plan for a miracle”
― Osho
He is certainly wise to some significant degree.. But who is he really? There is something about him that rubs me the wrong way. It's like there's a small voice in the back of my head warning me about him, that he is a wolf in sheeps clothing, STS. The same can be said about other indian "gurus" that have become popular in the west, such as Maharishi Mahesh yogi and Sai Baba. I personally love indian philosophy and hold teachers like Ramana Maharshi in very high regard, but these guys just feel "off" to me.
If I listened to his words literally like I considered, I would be a crazy individual, holed up in my house with new age obsessions.

That is all that is needed to be said about this man.
Wait...you're not?

Wait..you're not?
(07-08-2014, 03:41 PM)Alex Zachary Wrote: [ -> ]Wait...you're not?

I'm a grumpy atheist that happens to believe in panpsychism.
So you're a crazy individual with new age obsessions.
If you consider fringe self-taught occult practices New Age, sure. I stay far away from any practice that I am not convinced of by my own rationality. I think that eliminates 99% of New Age.
But to get back on the subject. I believe Osho's wisdom is truly great. His meditation techniques have allowed me to understand myself better, to feel the atom inside my body and know that i'm part of the whole.
It brings up the bigger area of how much do we really know about people?

I have had ear ringings tip me off about things to do with people. I just tried something where I looked at someone's photo and just waited for the ear ringing.

I have to say though I find his quotes inspired.
His books are pretty interesting (more that 300 I think). It is like everything else, you keep the parts that sound true to you. Also, there are many ways to say the same, the language you use helps some people to understand you better and not others. And most likely everybody (I mean different gurus, etc) talks about unity. You teach the same but reach different kind of people. What better way to spread the One?

Also, want to hear something weird? A friend of mine had a dream that a strange guru guy was performing some kind of energy healing on her. She search on google "indian guru" (or similar) and found the man in her dream. Oviously, he was Osho and she had never heard of him before. Otherwise the anecdote would be lame BigSmile