Bring4th

Full Version: how much do you trust the 'organic' label?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think most of the people on this forum are at least open to the virtues of organically grown food, and are quite prepared to pay the extra dollars to get that food.

but how much do you trust the label? and how much investigation do you do of the companies/suppliers?

I know that there are Organic Certification Organisations in every country that companies can sign up to, and have their operations spot-inspected, and then they can be officially 'organic'.

But I've always 'trusted' that what is in the supermarkets, and from the websites that I buy from that it is what it claims to be. If it wasn't, then surely someone would kick up a stink? BigSmile

but that's just pure trust on my side.
I know if the wind carries some Monsanto seeds into an organic field, the field can lose it's organic registration name. It will be forced to no longer use organic in the title.
I trust the label insofar I have read litterature on what they actually mean and talked to sources of what the practical applications are. Organic labels are not seldom filled with loopholes which allow quite disturbing amounts of non-organic solutions to growing or producing the food.

Of course, I've almost only insight into the swedish market for this and cannot say how other countries handle or 'produce' their labels aside from ISO 9001 (I think?).

In short: I trust the organic label completely to lie if it can. Keep track of dem labels.
In the states, we have a slightly different problem, in that the whole "system" (Monsanto/FDA) still bucks against the idea of organic produce, so to be certified organic the hurdles and specifications are extremely rigorous and costly. So, if it's labeled organic, I usually do trust it. That's not to say that we don't have plenty of misleading labels - one that we do have is the "All Natural" tag, which can literally be put on any product. Brands will repackage their product to make it look like a different formula and just add "all natural" to the label to make people think they are consuming something healthier.
I trust the Lady up the road who has chickens in her garden and sells the eggs by the roadside. She sells them at £1.00 per half dozen.

The local supermarket sells 'free range' eggs also but they cost an extra £1.30pence extra per half dozen. (called 'woodland' eggs)

I trust the lady up the road as I liked her smile when I knocked on her door asking to buy some eggs.

As for labels? Words only have power if they have value.

What words have value? Those that are spoken the most of course!
I just get it depending on the labels ingredients however a quick look at the stock portfolio of some of these companies can give a reason for alarm. The best place to go for greens would be a farmers market. Locally
Hi, organic fans !

One said:
Quote:best place to go for greens would be a farmers market. Locally
THAT is what we often do !!

And for
Quote:how much do you trust the 'organic' label?
We would say 90% ??
So it would be 10% LIARS !!

== It is better to eat only 10% poisons than 100% poisons !!! ==

So, we buy 99% organic in 3 stores, and "on line" for true local stuff.

Blue skies.