Bring4th

Full Version: total acceptance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do you feel about total acceptance? Is it irrational in essence?

I feel one clear symptoms of total acceptance is irrational optimism.
I also feel it is important not to confuse the byproduct with source and start substituting the spirit of acceptance with objects of thought and reason.

-----------------------------
irrational;

1.without the faculty of reason; deprived of reason.

2.without or deprived of normal mental clarity or sound judgment.

3.not in accordance with reason; utterly illogical: irrational arguments.

4.not endowed with the faculty of reason: irrational animals.
----------------------------

are there more signs or understandings about total acceptance?

Dont get me wrong, reason is awesome and practical in our day to day living with a good balance of irrational acceptance.

But when I meditate or are preparing for sleep there is no harm in permitting my self to be totally irrational in my relation to thoughts and sensations, embracing irrational freedom of being for a while... being rational takes time, future and past, irrational is timeless...
total acceptance is constant, behind the veil
You didn't define what you mean by 'acceptance.'
(07-13-2014, 09:46 PM)isis Wrote: [ -> ]i accept that i can't accept some things at this current space/time nexus

When I observe it some more I see that non-acceptance is based in thought, while acceptance is based in being...

the "I" that can not accept something is a thought form that we can embody, and yes that, like everything else is totally acceptable BigSmile

(07-13-2014, 09:57 PM)xise Wrote: [ -> ]You didn't define what you mean by 'acceptance.'

acceptance  

1.the act of taking or receiving something offered.

2.favorable reception; approval; favor.

3.the act of assenting or believing: acceptance of a theory.

4.the fact or state of being accepted or acceptable.
(07-13-2014, 09:58 PM)Raz Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-13-2014, 09:46 PM)isis Wrote: [ -> ]i accept that i can't accept some things at this current space/time nexus

When I observe it some more I see that non-acceptance is based in thought, while acceptance is based in being...

the "I" that can not accept something is a thought form that we can embody, and yes that, like everything else is totally acceptable BigSmile
i edited the post...(before u posted this)
now i see this one has been brought back to life. i guess they're both meant to be Tongue
There's no such thing as irrational, really. If you dig into your unconscious mind, things do make sense. You can connect events and memories and whatever understanding of yourself to know why you think and do and feel the way you do. Things don't make sense bc we do things and we don't know why, bc we can't access that part of mind that works rather covertly from conscious awareness.

You can play w/ word association, use dance moves, draw artistic pictures etc., based on some catalyst you go thru. You could think of an emotionally charged catalyst, then let your mind go and let images, sounds, smells, words, conversations flow into your consciousness (these are all forms of 'active imagination' to explore unconscious). You'll soon figure out these almost 'weird' and seemingly unconnected associations made.

I used to beat myself up for having pretty heavy anxiety around driving. When I explored this catalyst via active imagination (and other psychotherapy methods) I traced it to a particular event. It made total sense - and working thru that, my anxiety lowered pretty drastically. I manage w/ driving now. Pat self on back. lol
Rationality is attachment to observations as absolute events that everyone is purportedly aware of. In oneness, are there absolutes?
(07-13-2014, 09:57 PM)xise Wrote: [ -> ]You didn't define what you mean by 'acceptance.'

well, I think the opposite to acceptance would be denial.

Denial would be an inability to come to terms with 'reality' and what has taken place. In it's place, all sorts of stories and narratives are constructed to 'explain' what happened, rather than acknowledging the mutual circumstances of the self and the event/other-self.

Sometimes it's best to intensify or magnify the situation, to see it more clearly. For the sake of analysis, let's take a situation which would be quite likely to generate non-acceptance, or the experience of denial. The loss of a long-term relationship.

The 7 Stages of Grieving (a pop-term, but for the sake of consideration and analysis, let's just use it).

Quote:The Stages of Grief:

Shock and Disbelief - The person may not be able to comprehend that the relationship has really ended, and these feelings may be all consuming. This stage may overlap with the next stage which is:

Denial - The person may not accept that the relationship is over and may continue to pursue their ex partner.

Anger - The person may seek to blame their ex partner for the break up, ruminating on their faults and feeling and expressing a great deal of annoyance and hostility towards them.

Bargaining - The person may seek to win their partner back, promising to change or make compromises.

Guilt - The person may blame themselves for the break up, and may at this time have a very low sense of self esteem. They may wish they had done things differently, or said things differently and take on board all of the blame.

Depression - The person may have feelings of sadness or hopelessness, withdraw from social relationships and spend a lot of time brooding and ruminating. They may cling on to memories of their partner, play the same songs repeatedly and day dream about what might have been.

Acceptance - The person now begins to feel a fresh sense of hope, and they think of their partner less often. They will not feel the same sense of raw pain, and will resume social relationships. They may even begin to seek out a new partner. From time to time they may feel nostalgic, but they will accept that the relationship is now over.

I think the point that Raz was making is that Total Acceptance as a concept and an approach would be akin to jumping to the last stage of the process and just 'accepting', without having passed through the intermediate stages of processing the experience.

It would be like trying to eat raw rice grains, without having gone through the process of sifting, soaking, heating, and thoroughly cooking the rice so that it was in a digestible form, and able to be fully integrated into the self.

Even though the above stages of 'grieving' apply to an extreme situation, I think it applies to any expectations we have of reality, and what happens when they don't conform to what we expected.

If one is truly honest, one can see these steps unfolding when we receive unwelcome news, or something that we find quite disagreeable.

The mature thing to do is then, yes, express the emotions authentically, but also to work through the various stages with a compassionate eye towards self and other.

It doesn't happen instantly, and it doesn't happen easily.

But acceptance is very much part of a process; and doesn't just happen because the attitude is directed that way (although it does open the doorway and prepare the pathway immensely if that attitude is already pre-existing).
(07-13-2014, 09:58 PM)Raz Wrote: [ -> ]

acceptance  

1.the act of taking or receiving something offered.

2.favorable reception; approval; favor.

3.the act of assenting or believing: acceptance of a theory.

4.the fact or state of being accepted or acceptable.

Would you agree that the first three sub definitions are not relevant and/or easily ruled out by the Ra material's descriptions of acceptance?

If so, the question then becomes how do you personally define or understand the "state of being accepted or acceptable." That's a very important question to answer as we try to understand acceptance.
(07-14-2014, 09:47 AM)xise Wrote: [ -> ]If so, the question then becomes how do you personally define or understand the "state of being accepted or acceptable." That's a very important question to answer as we try to understand acceptance.

I feel that with self recognition comes a natural acceptance, when I recognize self (in everything and every one) and feel grounded in the unknown potential of self rather than the expressed probability, there is acceptance instead of resistance and this gives an opportunity for synchronicity and unity.
(07-14-2014, 04:13 PM)Raz Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-14-2014, 09:47 AM)xise Wrote: [ -> ]If so, the question then becomes how do you personally define or understand the "state of being accepted or acceptable." That's a very important question to answer as we try to understand acceptance.

I feel that with self recognition comes a natural acceptance, when I recognize self (in everything and every one) and feel grounded in the unknown potential of self rather than the expressed probability, there is acceptance instead of resistance and this gives an opportunity for synchronicity and unity.

Can you rephrase that as if you were talking to a non-spiritual, non-philosophical person?

Also, can you give a real life example?

I have my own thoughts on my definition, but it's very much a work in progress so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.
(07-14-2014, 06:24 PM)xise Wrote: [ -> ]Can you rephrase that as if you were talking to a non-spiritual, non-philosophical person?

Also, can you give a real life example?

I have my own thoughts on my definition, but it's very much a work in progress so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

With out spirituality in the equation I would point to it with "unconditional acceptance" or "irrational acceptance".

an example taken from my own life:
I am presented with a life situation where all is well within the momentum of life

then my life partner dies in a freak accident on his way to work on the buss.

PATTERN INTERRUPT! Life upside down...

Eventually;
I´m happy for him; going home is a happy occasion for the person going home no matter how much it sucks for the people left behind (unless someone can prove that to be otherwise I´m sticking with that :p)
a little rude to leave with all the plans we had down here but I guess our plans do not really matter when it comes down to our departure from touristing this physical safari.
How fast I readjusted depended on how much I resisted the acceptance taking place, with reasons, excuses and shoulds forming a cloud of thoughts distorting the unending flow of acceptance between physical reality and inner source and sync back in to the momentum of universal life.

did that make any sense?
Complete acceptance: Everyone, including myself, does not have to do anything, or not do anything; Things are done for the sake of them being done alone. Everything is well.

Acceptance of all possibilities/impossibilities.

In other words, a sincere belief anything can happen with no protest that is not intended.
total acceptance; when nothing is accepted or rejected
You mean depolarization and indifference? I don't understand how such a state could sustain.
The original state is one of total acceptance, before reflective thought of accept or reject comes in to the picture.
I´m not suggesting you should strand your self in the original state, I feel embracing being dynamic is the way in our day to day, but it sure is a pleasant place to take a vacation while meditating or going to sleep when there is no need for what we call physical orientation...
I see what you mean and agree.