Bring4th

Full Version: Veggie recipes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i have went back to being veggie again after thinking somethings over the last few months and i am wondering what's your favorite recipes?
Only got some dairy free ones here for you:

My favorite thing to make at the moment, vegan twix bars (caramel made with dates)
http://ohsheglows.com/2012/10/25/homemad...twix-bars/

Here's a pdf with a bunch of cheap veggie recipes for ideas:
https://8b862ca0073972f0472b704e2c0c21d0...-cheap.pdf

All of my tips and recipes are dairy free. I'm also hindered in sharing recipes because I'm not a measurer, I just throw stuff in. Tongue

If you want a healthy cheese/cream substitute, all you need is a cheap food processor and some raw cashews. Soak the cashews a few hours (for extra creaminess, this isn't necessary, I rarely have this patience), process in the food processor til fine, add water/brother/milk to the consistency you want (will usually thicken as it stands) and you have a very milky, creamy sauce. Add nutritional yeast to make it cheesy, add garlic to make it alfredo-y, add mushrooms to make it gravy-y, it's very versatile. I made tzaziki the other day and it was awesome (added mint, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic) You can make creamy salad dressing with it. Seriously I'm shocked at how versatile cashew puree is for cooking and adding that rich, creamy, fatty element to a dish.

My other tip is that there are decent meat substitutes out there if you feel like you miss anything. I find that the ground beef is usually palatable in say, a pasta sauce or tacos. Sausages are usually good too, as sausages are just made with seasonings and filler anyway. If I'm feeling like really eating some junk food I'll get the vegan hot dogs and eat 'em with some ketchup - trust me, they don't taste any different from when I was little, except the distinct lack of beef lips and a-holes. Tongue

Also coconut milk ice cream is so fabulous that I've never for a day missed iced dairy cream.

I feel compelled to just add the side note that a lot of vegetarians don't think about is that most cheese is usually made with rennet, which usually comes from a deceased animal's stomach, typically veal. Also, the dairy industry is arguably less humane than meat farms and slaughterhouses. (I couldn't help it, I'm sorry! Just good reasons to be on the lookout for adequate substitutes)

Thanks for going meat free, I honestly do not regret changing my diet and will never go back (which isn't to say I'll never have the occasional cheat) If I find any more concrete recipes I'll share here.
Sounds good, i don't think i could go vegan but i have been veggie for a while before so it shouldn't be to big an issue for me. I mostly stick to beans, lentils , tofu with rice/pasta/qouina and some type of sauce.
Me too, the cashew sauce is my favorite go-to.
My favorite go-to meal right now is kale salad. Chop up the kale finely. (You can also add unchopped salad greens or chopped cabbage.) Add whatever other vegetables: tomato, avacado, cucumber, etc. I like it all cut up into small pieces. Add pepitas, chia seeds, or whatever nuts you like. Then add a little fruit: cut grapes in half, slice pears or apples, chop up dried apricots, or add cranraisons.

You can dress it with evoo and balsamic vinegar, with a little salt, dill or cilantro, parsley, and garlic. But even better, go to one of the oil and vinegar stores and get lemon oil and fig vinegar (you won't need anything else with that combo).

Totally yummy. Smile
Speaking of cashews, I love cashew sour cream!

Soak 1 cup raw cashews for a few hours. Drain, but save the water.
Put into blender:

the cashews
1/4 tsp salt (Celtic tastes best)
2 tsp white or yellow miso
juice from 2 lemons
a bit of the water, adding more as necessary to get a creamy consistency

Blend

Enjoy!

It's awesome to top My Famous Verde Sauce

6-8 green tomatillos (depending on how big they are)
2-4 serrano (or jalepeno) peppers (or more if you like it really hot)
1 small yellow onion
2-3 garlic cloves
juice from 2 limes
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
2 inch chunk of carrot
1/2 tsp raw sugar
2 tsp Celtic (or Himalayan pink) salt (the right salt really makes the flavor)
1 cup soft, steamed cauliflower (yeah I know it sounds weird, but it makes it creamy!)
a bit of the cauliflower steaming water if too thick (you shouldn't need much so only add a little at a time)

(Note: This fits into a VitaMix. You may have to cut the recipe in half if it doesn't all fit in a regular blender.)

Blend. You can either blend until smooth, or leave it chunky. It's great over tofu enchiladas, topped with cashew sour cream!

(09-15-2014, 11:33 AM)Matt1 Wrote: [ -> ]So i have went back to being veggie again after thinking somethings over the last few months and i am wondering what's your favorite recipes?

Related thread:

Vegetarianism Made E-Z (Recipes and Stuff - NO debate allowed here!)