Bring4th

Full Version: The police profiled me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So the other night, I'm going on my nightly walks as usual (down to 180 lbs now!) and this cop in my town stops me while walking. I'm like, "can I help you?" Now, I haven't done anything wrong and I'm pretty well versed in what to do during police encounters. The only reason why he stopped me was because I had my hoodie on, plus I had long basketball shorts on as well. In short, I looked "ghetto" at the moment. Plus I live in a more upper middle class area.

Anyway, he asks where I live and I tell him what street and then he gets out of the car. Still at this point, I'm not worried at all because I haven't done anything wrong. He tells me to step over to his car and asks for ID. I tell him I have no ID on me and that I'm just walking. He asks for my name, address, and phone number, which I calmly provided. He then said there were car break ins in the area and that he's asking all walkers for their information and in the back of my mind I'm going "haha yea BS!!!!"

Now in my state, I am not required to provide ANY identification whatsoever to an authority figure if I am not being detained or suspected in any crime.

I was very calm and articulate with him and provided what he asked since he wasn't being forceful with me. He was nice, so I returned the favor. But for all he knew at the time, I could have provided entirely false information to him and walked away. lol. And I COULD HAVE played lawyer with him. I told him he could check my record all he wants since I have no criminal record. He said I was very nice and cooperative and that I'm not a suspect...(the cop most likely thought, damnit!!!!!)

And this is why I am no fan of cops.
People sometimes choose careers to have power and authority over others. I have seen this again and again, in various different jobs—law enforcement, judges, literary agents, prisons, halfway houses, educational teachers—there are many opportunities to indulge in authoritative expression, or to have the power to affect another's life. They might not even be aware of it.
Altruism or selflessness is the principle or practice of concern for the welfare of others.

there is also a motive in this which gives another perspective on this subject

hm..

i feel you are correct Diana but it is only a fragment of truth that has been exposed here,and i haven't touched another one that is hiding also in those carriers you mentioned
It seems like Ra's suggestion about medical doctors could be adapted to police officers.

Original: "Firstly, you must see the possibility/probability that each and every allopathic healer is in fact an healer."

Adapted: "Firstly, you must see the possibility/probability that each and every officer sworn to protect and serve is in fact attempting to protect and serve."
I had a very similar experience with two police officers once.

I went for a walk as a result of a pain in myself. Regarding a girl that I liked a lot and didn't like me back. Lol. A surprisingly common occurrence. Anyway, I was walking along the road and two policemen were coming up to me. They said it was a high crime area and did the whole questioning thing. I also didn't have any ID. Then when I didn't want to look in one of the policeman's eyes he asked me if there was something wrong and I said I was thinking about this girl.

They both were like 'OK man, it's clear you're just going for a walk. I hope it works out for you.' Got in their car, drove off!