Bring4th

Full Version: what's your favourite kitchen device?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
this may seem like a strange question to ask, but I think modern kitchen appliances have changed our whole relationship to food. I mean, the whole green smoothie movement couldn't have happened without the 3 horsepower blenders that have become within reach of everybody in the last however many years.

And quick microwaved dinners.

so what's your favourite kitchen appliance?

I used a slow cooker for many years, and enjoyed that experience.

More recently, I've acquired a decent quality juicer (the masticating type - 'crusher' - rather than the centrigual type of juicer, which tend to be cheaper). Also a pressure cooker, which cooks food up to 3 times faster than most normal methods.

It's just changed my whole relationship to food - how it's prepared, and what things I can actually prepare - for eg, brown rice is much more accessible using a pressure cooker (20 min cook times!), and leafy greens can be easily consumed when juiced.

the wonders of these devices!
Dishwasher
I want a dishwasher!

I just love my food processor, use it almost every day.

Also! Try weaning yourself off the microwave. The radiation causes the molecules to speed up (which is what makes them hot), but also makes them break down so you aren't getting all the nutrients you would if you were to heat it conventionally.
(09-30-2014, 11:16 AM)Jade Wrote: [ -> ]Also! Try weaning yourself off the microwave. The radiation causes the molecules to speed up (which is what makes them hot), but also makes them break down so you aren't getting all the nutrients you would if you were to heat it conventionally.

yeah, the microwave isn't something I favor myself. I just threw it in there, because it's such a common and popular device. I really don't like the effect it has on food - aside from any other issues - just the effect on taste and texture is something I don't find satisfying at all. The only reason I've used my microwave in the last 18 months is for a quick defrost - and I've weaned myself off that because the only reason I defrosted was that I had frozen food in the first place - and there are fresher options available if one makes the effort (and I finally decided to make the effort :d)

(09-30-2014, 11:16 AM)Jade Wrote: [ -> ]I want a dishwasher!

call me crazy, but I actually like to handwash lol!

(09-30-2014, 11:16 AM)Jade Wrote: [ -> ]I just love my food processor, use it almost every day.

never had one of these!!
(09-30-2014, 11:36 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]call me crazy, but I actually like to handwash lol!
same here. i only use my dishwasher as a drying rack

my favorite device is the garbage disposal i think
My rice cooker because I can't seem to do rice on the stove.
(09-30-2014, 05:16 PM)Maat Wrote: [ -> ]My rice cooker because I can't seem to do rice on the stove.

I hear ya there BigSmile
(09-30-2014, 12:00 PM)isis Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-30-2014, 11:36 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]call me crazy, but I actually like to handwash lol!
same here. i only use my dishwasher as a drying rack

my favorite device is the garbage disposal i think

To be honest, dishes are usually the husband's chore, but he hates them enough that I covet a dishwasher for him. Smile

Ah! I forgot about rice cookers! I should get another one, would probably eat a bunch more rice... though cooking it on the stove isn't that tough!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/how-t...every.html
The wok is my favorite. Its great for all types of dishes. It can be used for almost anything you can think of.
An espresso machine. Otherwise I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning. Tongue

A good set of knives or just one good knife.

A food chopper. You can chop anything up with this little gadget. Hard veggies such as carrots and broccoli can be chopped up raw and thrown in a salad. Chop up nuts to top your dishes in seconds. Great for anyone interested in raw-fooding. Smile
1. Kangen Water machine!!! It's a kitchen countertop device that is made by a Japanese medical manufacturer. It makes 5 kinds of water: The healthiest alkaline, antioxidant drinking water, Beauty Water for skin, hair and plants, a strong alkaline cleaning water that is a degreaser, and a disinfectant water that kills 99.99999% of all bacteria. Amazing!

I use the strong alkaline water to do my laundry, and to soak fruits and veggies - it removes the oil-based pesticides! The disinfectant water has all sorts of uses. The Kangen Water itself has had a powerful impact on mine and my family's health. Amazing stuff!

It's the most expensive water ionizer machine on the market, for good reason. It's the only one with ISO medical certification, and the only one that makes the strong cleaning water and the disinfectant water. Knockoffs might claim to, but their own specs show that they don't. I don't drive an expensive car, but I want the best when it comes to health! A less expensive car still works, as long as it gets you from Point A to Point B. But the knockoff ionizer machines don't work at all, in terms of getting health benefits. They simply don't have the dramatic stories we do. I can explain why, to anyone who contacts me, but I can't publicly, due to the medical mafia.

I wouldn't sell my machine for a million bucks! (Unless I could buy another one of course!)

It's a new kitchen appliance that's also ISO 13485 (the ISO division for medical equipment) and WQA certified. Some 25% of Japanese homes have an ionizer. (They must be doing something right since they rank #1 in the world for health and longevity, in contrast to the US ranking #46!) I predict that in another decade or so, most Americans will too! A few decades ago, no one had a microwave and now most homes do (except those that are health-conscious!). The Kangen Water machine is 'the' new kitchen appliance that is here to stay!

It will save a ton of $$ over bottled water, and is far healthier and better for the planet. Stop adding to the plastic problem and make your own healthy water. Stop using chemical cleaners and use water instead!

2. VitaMix My VitaMix used to be #1, until it got dethroned by my Kangen Water machine! Our VitaMix gets used every day, usually several times per day! We use it mostly for smoothies but lots of other stuff too. Soups, sauces, nut butters, grind your own flour and seeds. It is heavy-duty! Indispensable for anyone pursuing a healthy diet and particularly so for high-raw vegans like me.

3. Juicer. I spent the $$ on the most expensive ionizer, so I was willing to do the same for the very best juicer. But after a lot of research, I discovered that Norwalk is the most expensive NOT because it makes the healthiest juice, but because it gets the most juice out of the produce. Well, that wasn't my criteria. I was more concerned with how much the juice got oxidized. Turns out that the Norwalk is a high-speed juicer, which oxidizes quite a lot. The healthiest juice comes from the masticating juicers. Less oxidation means healthier juice, and it lasts longer before turning brown. There are several good masticating juicers on the market, but I chose the Omega because of its features, and because I used to have an Omega centrifugal which held up for 2 decades. Don't buy a centrifugal! They use the most speed and thus cause the most oxidation! Omega makes both types. Get their masticating type. Omega J8004/J8006/J8007/J8008 (all variations of the same machine...can do fruit or greens) OR Omega VRT350 (also masticating but works better with soft fruit, not as good on greens). They now have a new and improved machine - WOW! Can someone please tell Santa to bring this to me for Christmas?