Bring4th

Full Version: Why I am a Vegan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(09-23-2017, 04:38 PM)Nicholas Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2017, 02:56 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]It boggles my mind that anyone could care more about their personal free will (to choose torture and death) over compassion.

You have created a confusing dichotomy in this statement, Diana, because compassion begins with the self, and what you and I consume to sustain our bodies is a personal affair. Of all the meme's that you have shared here, they share a common theme. And that theme is personal experience The reason people care more about their own choices than the consequences of them is not beyond your intellectual grasp. In fact it is a good thing that they care at all as it's a step in the right direction. Mike Tyson apparently said that he wished he was born a vegan, and yet, if you studied how he arrived at such a thought, your mind would not boggle at all at why anyone would care more about personal agendas.

Look, personal free will is paramount because in the longer term it is the ONLY way in which to teach. If a decision is made under any group or cultural coercion, then it is almost impossible to claim responsibility for such a choice. It is no choice at all. This is why humans perpetually engage in criminality, and why we need to keep locking people up, because we fail to see the correlations between their personal experience and the choices that they accordingly make. Why, after thousands of years of repetition, are we still locking humans away for behaviours that share a current motive? The motive to survive?

You are completely missing the point of your own argument. The problem is not the consumption of other selves, because that is built into the fabric of our illusion (imagine, for example that you had your top ten males join you on a desert island, and yet not one of them found you desirable?). The problem is the commodification of other selves.

You are concerning yourself with the harmful details of commodification and charging the consumer for their "free will" choices, when in fact, the consumers of such commodities are not free at all!

(09-20-2017, 02:56 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to persuade you.

Diana you are smarter than that. Of course you want to pursuade others. You would not have wasted your time sharing memes if you didn't.

(09-24-2017, 10:04 AM)Bring4th_Jade Wrote: [ -> ]Wait Nick - you're saying that consumers don't have free will with what they purchase to consume? I mean, I understand on one level that advertising subverts free will... but every day I think about where my money is being spent and what energies it is contributing to. It's not possible to be ENTIRELY ethical with consumption of commodities, but it's possible to be much, much more ethical with consumption of commodities than all of us are currently being, and I think we all should make this effort as an exercise with the Transformation of the Mind.

Quote:99.8 Questioner: Thank you. Card Number Six I see as the Transformation of the Mind, the male’s crossed arms representing transformation, transformation being possible either toward the left- or the right-hand path, the right-hand path being beckoned or led by the female, the Potentiator. The one on the right having the serpent of wisdom at the brow and being fully clothed, the one on the left having less clothing and indicating that the Matrix or Potentiator would be more concerned and attracted to the physical illusion as the left-hand path is chosen and more concerned and attracted to the mental as the right-hand path is chosen.

The creature above points an arrow at the left-hand path indicating that if this path is chosen the chips, shall we say, will fall where they may, the path being unprotected as far as the random activity of catalyst. And the intellectual abilities of the chooser of that path would be the main guardian rather than a designed or built-in protection by the Logos for the right-hand path. The entity firing the arrow being what seems to be a second density entity would indicate that this catalyst could be produced by a lesser-evolved source, you might say. Would Ra comment on these observations of Card Six, the Transformation of the Mind?

Ra: I am Ra. We shall speak upon several aspects seriatim. Firstly, let us examine the crossed arms of the male who is to be transformed. What, O student, do you make of the crossing? What see you in this tangle? There is a creative point to be found in this element which was not discussed overmuch by the questioner.

Let us now observe the evaluation of the two females. The observation that to the left-hand path moves the roughly physical and to the right-hand path the mental has a shallow correctness. There are deeper observations to be made concerning the relationship of the great sea of the unconscious mind to the conscious mind which may fruitfully be pursued. Remember, O student, that these images are not literal. They haunt rather than explicate.

Many use the trunk and roots of mind as if that portion of mind were a badly used, prostituted entity. Then this entity gains from this great storehouse that which is rough, prostituted, and without great virtue. Those who turn to the deep mind, seeing it in the guise of the maiden, go forth to court it. The courtship has nothing of plunder in its semblance and may be protracted, yet the treasure gained by such careful courtship is great. The right-hand and left-hand transformations of the mind may be seen to differ by the attitude of the conscious mind towards its own resources as well as the resources of other-selves.

We now speak of that genie, or elemental, or mythic figure, culturally determined, which sends the arrow to the left-hand transformation. This arrow is not the arrow which kills but rather that which, in its own way, protects. Those who choose separation, that being the quality most indicative of the left-hand path, are protected from other-selves by a strength and sharpness equivalent to the degree of transformation which the mind has experienced in the negative sense. Those upon the right-hand path have no such protection against other-selves for upon that path the doughty seeker shall find many mirrors for reflection in each other-self it encounters.

Yes, it is built into the fabric of our illusion, specifically for the purpose of letting go our participation in the exploitation of others to move to higher planes of existence. And I'm not just talking about animals - but also about all the things that we buy that are made with the labor of others. The value of certain labor is weighted higher than the value of others' labor, and that creates exploitation and essentially slavery. Slaves make the majority of the goods that we consume. We have to recognize that we do have the free will to stop unconsciously participating in enslavement of others.

This has taken me a long time to respond to. Initially when I first read this I simply rolled my eyes. I could not get past this attitude in my head of "here come the Ra quotes!". For ages I had the desire to dish out a few Ra quotes of my own. I had visions of creating 52 of my favourite Ra quotes, printing them out and flipping 7 of them randomly face up. From there I could present an antithesis with no trouble at all. What stopped me is because I care like you care. It's a tragic irony to realise that Diane, yourself and I, as well as others are coming from the same fertile desire to protect.

I respond now because I believe I have a better understanding on this free will vs compassion divide. What initially stimulated me was the bracketed "to choose torture and death" comment. There is so much more going on underneath the surface of what we reveal to each other. That stimulating comment reminded me very much of how my mother used to talk. A guilt inducing comment aimed at orienting my behaviour to a more acceptable configuration. This is how compassion is perverted into a strategy, and why I am sensitive to such terms. I obviously cannot speak as to why Diane used such a term. But I can surely reveal why It was personally stimulating for me. 

[Deleted a passage that encourages comparative thinking by using the word Vegans in reference to individuals]

I went to a Vegan festival today and bought some natural, "activated carbon" toothpaste. I mentioned how important to me it was to start taking care of the teeth that remained in my mouth. A lady next to me said. "It's good for the planet, too". And then the guy selling me this lovely product adds "Yes the bottles are recycled glass"

Huh

Now the little wolf in me had all sorts of imaginary comments. First was "Did I ask for your input here!?" and then I thought about the guy "Why can't you look at me when serving?"

I quickly processed it though when I realised it was just 2 like minded folks communing. We are all vulnerable at heart and that's why we group together in communities. Perhaps it was because I am a white male with broad shoulders? Who knows. I know one thing though. I missed the opportunity to express to them that I felt lonely in that moment and had just as much a need for community as they do. Oh well. 
I want to try to understand but I guess I'm confused. What happened with the recycled glass comment? Was this person insulting you? Usually vegan festivals bring out a lot of environmentalists, so using recycled glass would be a benefit to purchasing the product for someone who is oriented towards creating less waste on this planet. Many people would see the product as having more value being made with recycled packaging. Why do you believe there was a judgement on you based upon race?
(03-03-2018, 08:30 PM)Nicholas Wrote: [ -> ]I respond now because I believe I have a better understanding on this free will vs compassion divide. What initially stimulated me was the bracketed "to choose torture and death" comment. There is so much more going on underneath the surface of what we reveal to each other. That stimulating comment reminded me very much of how my mother used to talk. A guilt inducing comment aimed at orienting my behaviour to a more acceptable configuration. This is how compassion is perverted into a strategy, and why I am sensitive to such terms. I obviously cannot speak as to why Diane used such a term. But I can surely reveal why It was personally stimulating for me. 

From my point of view, it's a good thing that uncomfortable memories surfaced for you. This, in my opinion, is a message, and it has value for you. I don't mean to sound didactic, or that I know everything, or imply it has anything to do with what you eat. I just think feelings like these, from the subconscious or childhood, have meaning.

I don't remember why I made that comment. It was part of a long conversation and taken out of context.  

(03-03-2018, 08:30 PM)Nicholas Wrote: [ -> ]I went to a Vegan festival today and bought some natural, "activated carbon" toothpaste. I mentioned how important to me it was to start taking care of the teeth that remained in my mouth. A lady next to me said. "It's good for the planet, too". And then the guy selling me this lovely product adds "Yes the bottles are recycled glass"

Huh

Now the little wolf in me had all sorts of imaginary comments. First was "Did I ask for your input here!?" and then I thought about the guy "Why can't you look at me when serving?"

I quickly processed it though when I realised it was just 2 like minded folks communing. We are all vulnerable at heart and that's why we group together in communities. Perhaps it was because I am a white male with broad shoulders? Who knows. I know one thing though. I missed the opportunity to express to them that I felt lonely in that moment and had just as much a need for community as they do. Oh well. 

It is very difficult to feel alone when with people. But it does seem to me you have some responsibility in this feeling. It sounds like you rejected them, not they rejected you. But maybe it wasn't that simple. It is challenging to convey entire meaning with words on a page.

I'm sorry for your loneliness. In fact, my heart goes out to all who suffer.
(03-04-2018, 11:17 AM)Bring4th_Jade Wrote: [ -> ]I want to try to understand but I guess I'm confused. What happened with the recycled glass comment? Was this person insulting you?

No not at all. It was more my paranoid thinking! It was a warm and friendly event and Heidi I are going to another one in 2 Saturdays time. Heidi's cousin and her husband sing at these events (husband on guitar), so we will be travelling further afield to go with them. The scenario just stimulated in me a pain that has yet to be healed, that's all. My speculating was pure projection on my part  Blush

Diane has it exactly right. There is a sense of loneliness within me. A desire for a deeper connection with other humans in general. Which I translate as a need for community going unmet. This is an old, old feeling that has resurfaced and this was a just a stimulus. It was actually a missed opportunity for me to become emotionally naked and express what I was feeling and needing in relation to the moment. I felt left out of the conversation that's all. However I did have a wonderful conversation with Catherine's husband, Deitmar. About 45 minutes of one 2 one while we listened to other performers on the stage. He is a very laid back, gentle soul. Familiar with the LOO as well!  

(03-04-2018, 11:17 AM)Bring4th_Jade Wrote: [ -> ]Usually vegan festivals bring out a lot of environmentalists, so using recycled glass would be a benefit to purchasing the product for someone who is oriented towards creating less waste on this planet. Many people would see the product as having more value being made with recycled packaging. Why do you believe there was a judgement on you based upon race?

Again, no objective evidence at all. Looking back I think it was more to do with my apprehension of environmentalists and the problematic nature of "identity politics". The activism itself is to be honoured, but what energy is it coming out of? This very "fear of possession", or suspicion, is enough to block out my own attempt to communicate authentically. Rather ironic come to think of it.  :-/
[Image: CXTDhhm.gif]
(03-11-2018, 01:50 PM)Bring4th_Jade Wrote: [ -> ][Image: CXTDhhm.gif]

That was beautiful to watch.

That's neat Jade. Is that you?
(03-11-2018, 09:26 PM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: [ -> ]

That's neat Jade. Is that you?

Nope! Goals though for sure. Smile I usually have my rooster's rapt attention when I am in the kitchen, though!

That is a classic video and even better she is doing yoga in heels and a beanie, the cows are they looking on thinking how silly is this human or wow and in awe ?
It's been almost 4 months since I went on a vegan diet. I wanted to say thanks to you all for the information and awareness that you are spreading. Cheers!
Cows are a symbol of devotion.
I'm becoming a vegetarian. Maybe later a vegan. I started yesterday.
By going vegan, America could feed an additional 390 million people, study suggests

Quote:Here's what they found:

Imagine an area of land that can produce 100 grams of edible protein from plants. If you take that same amount of land and use it to produce eggs instead, you would end up with only 60 grams of edible protein — an "opportunity food loss" of 40%, the study authors found.

And that was the best-case scenario.

If that land were used to raise chickens, it would produce 50 grams of protein in the form of poultry. If it were devoted to dairy cows, it would provide 25 grams of protein in the form of milk products. If that land became a home for pigs, they would provide 10 grams of protein in the form of pork. And if you put cattle there, you'd get just 4 grams of protein in the form of beef.
I liked what he said about when you make a decision, the mind will change to accommodate that.
(04-06-2018, 10:03 AM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: [ -> ]I liked what he said about when you make a decision, the mind will change to accommodate that.

Me too. I think it's got to do with dissolving, or reducing, the cognitive dissonance between what we know, and what we feel - or, in other words, what our minds know, and what our hearts know. Heart
Avoiding meat and dairy is ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth

Quote:Biggest analysis to date reveals huge footprint of livestock - it provides just 18% of calories but takes up 83% of farmland
(01-14-2018, 03:48 PM)Sprout Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2018, 01:26 PM)Bring4th_Jade Wrote: [ -> ]I have been intimately cohabitating with a chicken (rooster) in my house for over four months now. I also have 7 more outside.

Living with Glee indoors has been an amazing learning experience. It's interesting that it's completely socially acceptable to have parrot type birds who live in your house and free range, but often people are shocked with the idea of having a chicken indoors. Often the cry is - "WHAT ABOUT THE POOP??" Well, unlike a parrot or parakeet, Glee is stationed on the ground, so it isn't this horrible unmanageable mess. In fact, the hour or two of flight time that my pigeons get out of their cage in a day makes way more of a mess than having glee out for 8 hours. We have laminate wood flooring so cleaning up his little hershey poops every other hour or so is hardly a strain.

But what I'm truly shocked about is how much more personality and inquisition he carries with him than my dogs. The tiny chicken brain has 2x as many neurons as a dog's, and that is apparent. Glee is constantly interested in his surroundings, and processing complicated thoughts and decisions. In many ways he is just like the dogs - he RUNS after he when I go into the kitchen, especially if he hears a crinkly bag (universal sound for treats/food in this house). He loves being held/cuddled/pet. And really, it's just a joy being able to get this close to a different part of creation.

Glee is an "oops rooster", a product of backyard farming. Many people buy tiny day old chicks, either from feed stores, or sometimes even they order them online and have them shipped. All hatcheries for egg laying breeds attempt to sex the animals at birth, and all suspected males are killed within a day of being born and ground up for pet food. Sometimes they survive, and female chicks who are sent through the mail are packaged with "extra males" for "warmth" and "padding". Glee is a "Rhode Island red" which is a "production breed", which means he was likely bought from a feed store. This means someone at a hatchery mistook Glee for a lady, which is the only reason he exists today. His previous owner obviously loved him (I can tell the difference now having adopted 7 chickens from the shelter), but due to laws restricting roosters in populated areas, they took their friend and companion and left him at the shelter.

At the shelter, Glee was housed in a dog run, next to all the quarantined dogs, and along a busy highway. My friend who had been visiting the shelter regularly noticed him, and noticed how much he seemed to love humans. So sent me a text and I just couldn't say no. We cleaned out our spare room, laid tarps and blankets down for easy washing, and moved a rooster into our house.

Sure, Glee will sometimes crow fairly early in the morning, but actually, most days he's quiet until after 7. But even the minor irritations are worth it when I put it into perspective - he is one of the lucky ones. He is one of the very few roosters on this planet who gets to live a normal life and die a natural death. And, he is my friend. He's not much different at all from a feathery puppy. He loves to watch TV. And now, he's basically internet famous, being the star of a video that has been cumulatively viewed nearly 3 million times.

Glee's life is worth so much more than the moment it takes to eat an egg, or a chicken wing. His life is a serious of moments that culminate into him being a being. He has friends, favorite foods, things he looks forward to. His eyes convey a deep array of thoughts and emotions, constantly. I was recently watching a video of a protest inside of a kosher slaughterhouse, and they had crates and crates full of Glees ("production reds") looking terrified, sick, sad, and confused. It was devastating.

When I see people eating chicken, or hear people talk about eating chicken, it is analogous to if a dog caretaker were to hear others glibly talking about eating dog. It's shocking, it's uncomfortable, and it's heartbreaking. I love all of my chickens immensely and they are each obviously individuals. Everyone has a personality, habits, favorite treats, and ways of interacting with each other. I no longer see a difference between chickens and dogs.

I found a baby crow that fell from its tree and broke it's beak pretty badly, it was bleeding and kept its head to the ground all the time. I decided to take him home and take care of him, feeding a crow is no easy task as he couldn't eat or drink on his own, and the food had to be fresh and juicy. I'd need to stick my whole finger in his mouth like the parents would, and then he'd make this cute "om nom nom nom" sound as he ate. Also I had to give him water from a tube. It took months until he slowly learned to fly across the house, at which point I released him back and he was welcomed by his fellow crows.

Tada.  Smile
[Image: IMG_34_zpsmxpgvvzp.jpg]

Also some photos I took of animals.

A slug and a snail.
[Image: IMG_12_zpsxxq9ntar.jpg]

A pigeon bathing in sunlight.
[Image: IMG_23_zpsculxffof.jpg]

A mom and a baby slug.
[Image: IMG_34_zps26qcx4qz.jpg]
(06-03-2018, 03:59 AM)Papercut Wrote: [ -> ]Tada.  Smile

Lovely crow and pics. Well done! Smile

As the topic of B12 came up a while ago, thought some might be interested to read this:

Vitamin B12 Deficiency Test

Quote:What types of B12 deficiency test are there? How are they carried out? How to diagnose a vitamin B12 deficiency through use of a B12 deficiency test.
(06-03-2018, 06:48 AM)Nía Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2018, 03:59 AM)Papercut Wrote: [ -> ]Tada.  Smile

Lovely crow and pics. Well done! Smile

As the topic of B12 came up a while ago, thought some might be interested to read this:

Vitamin B12 Deficiency Test

Quote:What types of B12 deficiency test are there? How are they carried out? How to diagnose a vitamin B12 deficiency through use of a B12 deficiency test.

I did a blood test and oh my god you we're right. I was told immediately that I needed b12 and iron. :-/
(06-07-2018, 08:33 AM)blossom Wrote: [ -> ]I did a blood test and oh my god you we're right. I was told immediately that I needed b12 and iron. :-/

Wow, glad you had it tested! Hope your levels will soon be up to normal again.  Heart

And, in case anyone (who's interested) missed it:

Would you go vegan to save the planet? Researchers say it might be our best option
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16