Bring4th

Full Version: Why I am a Vegan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
not that I'm attached to labels, but I've switched to being a vegan.

vegetarian: no meat
vegan: as above, plus also no directly related animal products (no eggs or dairy basically).

why?

I can't say for sure. Ever since I got back from Homecoming 2014 at the start of September (about 5 weeks now) I've initiated a series of changes to my life. This is not unusual; other members and other attendees have also reported a similiar change of tact. It's like something gets re-awakened or re-connected by being in such a positive space. So many people, and so much clear heart radiation.

We talk about love. We even experience with friends and significant others. But the Law of Squares being what it is, when there is a grouped collection of aligned individuals such as at Homecoming, the effects can only be described as being Transcendent.

- -

so I dropped eggs and dairy from my diet. Why? It was actually incidental, rather than primary. I've been using an electric frypan as my main cooking device for over 2 years now, and eggs and butter go well with that Smile. I've also been enjoying my desserts over that time too (since the time I dropped meat at the start of 2013), and it's really made for satisfying and full meals to complete things with a huge serving of gourmet ice cream and organic yoghurt. That sort of 'ultra-loading' was what enabled me to survive off one or two meals a day over the last 2 years.

But I was interested in a change post-Homecoming, and decided to purchase two rather intriguing devices. One was a Masticating Juicer, and the other was a Pressure Cooker. Both are kitchen devices that I've never owned before.

Juicer: enabled me to enjoy more 'difficult vege's' such as carrots and various leafy greens. I love both of these things well cooked, but even so, there's only so much that you can eat of vege's (to me that is). Juicing is a great way to get a surplus of nutrients without all the chewing and fibrous content etc.

Pressure Cooker: makes mince meat of brown rice. One great recipe I've found is to throw in some of the dry pulp from the Juicer (just above!), and that way, you can 're-assemble' some of the whole food content. In the pressure cooker, that pulp gets tender and thoroughly cooked in no time.

- -

that's the methodology, but not really an explanation for the Vegan Change.

I decided to drop Dairy for a couple of reasons. One is that I am lactose intolerant by nature (asian genetics), and I can enjoy dairy, but only usually through taking some food enzyme pills. I've never eaten a lot of dairy in my life (not a great attraction to cheese, hardly any ever milk, and occasional ice-cream for the most part), so I didn't really need it. I did notice that I would suffer from the occasional indigestion from my meals, and I chalked that up to the dairy intolerance via my sumptuous deserts. Plus I've had enough Ice Cream in the last couple of years to last me a lifetime lol. I've sated that experience. No more delights there BigSmile

as for eggs, they go well with frypans, and less so with Pressure Cookers. I did try, but the effects are, quite obviously, overcooked eggs. I liked my eggs sunny side up when I did use my frypan, so lightly done is my preference. The proteins are also much more accesible when they are lightly done. So the eggs were incompatible with pressure cooking for the most part. I guess I could always crack an egg over the final cooked dish, and let the high latent heat do it's work, but I don't need it. Again, I've had my fair share of free-range eggs the last 2 years.

- -

so how does it feel? well, it's only been a couple of weeks since I started this new dietary tack, and so I'm still fine tuning things. I also decided to add Celtic Salt to the mix (something I've never used previously either) to replace the liquid mineral supps I was taking.

anyway, so that's my story BigSmile
That's cool. I went back to going veggie again lately. I might try vegan, i hardly eat eggs milk or cheese as it is but its more about products that contain the above that can be more of an issue i guess.

I have been drinking almond milk and the only other dairy i normally have is whey protein but i guess you could replace that with pea or hemp shakes. It would mean giving up my love of pizza cheat day on a Saturday though.
(10-08-2014, 08:11 AM)Matt1 Wrote: [ -> ]i hardly eat eggs milk or cheese as it is but its more about products that contain the above that can be more of an issue i guess.

yeah, the way I plan on navigating it is that for my own cooking it is a non-dairy/non-egg approach. But if I go out, I will just go for whatever not-meat option is available.
Thanks for your story, Plenum.

I encourage you to try coconut milk ice cream!! I actually preferred it from the get go! A bit pricey, but worth it. It is so rich and fatty that a little goes a long way, like gelato.

I used to play fast and loose with veganism (a little something with dairy every 3-4 weeks) but anymore, the smell and taste of dairy repulses me. Your tastebuds really do change so much. Especially as you remove processed foods (sounds like maybe you already have taken that step - I went from junk food queen to vegan, before I ever considered myself "spiritual"). Good luck!! I can tell you, in over two years now, I haven't been the slightest bit ill (as far as catching random germs goes, I had my coffee withdrawal!). I also only get indigestion on the rarest of occasions - when it used to be an every meal thing. I grew up as a pretty sickly nervous thing and almost all of that that was remaining went away with the switch. I was still pretty depressed until I started reading the Law of One. I guess I just did it the opposite way from you.... body first, then mind. Tongue
The one thing that keeps me from eating meat is the contemplation of being the animal ready for slaughter. A simple concept, but personally speaking a very powerful one when confronted by the smell of a Barbie!

I love my eggs too much to become a full vegan though, and I'm sure that the reason for my sweaty feet (after work) is cheese or dairy related (please don't be eggs related!).

"Why I am a Vegan"

I see what you did there Plenum BigSmile
Good on you. I received a message during meditation , so take this message with a grain of salt. I was told that when we eat food, we consume the karmic debt from that food. Therefore, it was clear to me that eggs, milk, and honey were okay IF the animals producing these products were living happy and free lives. But considering any animal or animal product that is mass produced, are genenerally not happy nor free we are then placed in limited options.

On my own, I consume nothing but vegan items. But unfortunately, social events, family dinners, etc make it extremely difficult to go 100%.

Unbound

I am still an omnivore working with the principle of transmutation, om nom nomnivore.
(10-09-2014, 12:25 AM)Unbound Wrote: [ -> ]I am still an omnivore working with the principle of transmutation, om nom nomnivore.

Perhaps you'd have better luck in this endeavor if you weren't weighed down with the negative energies in the animal products. Tongue
That's awesome, Plenum! Smile

Going vegetarian was easy for me. Going vegan was harder because I erroneously thought dairy was just a 'byproduct' of the meat industry, and cheese was a comfort food, so I didn't have enough incentive to let it go. Plus, I was never grossed out by cheese the way I was/am by meat.

It was my friend Pablisimo who pointed out the addictive nature of cheese, plus opening my eyes to the ways in which the dairy industry feeds the meat industry, that prompted me to make the commitment to vegan.
Monica you'd probably like the website: http://notmilk.com/

Lots of articles against milk.
(10-12-2014, 02:29 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Monica you'd probably like the website: http://notmilk.com/

Lots of articles against milk.

Very useful! Thanks Gemini!
so I had a few weeks where I was using egg and cheese products. Namely, there was a great pasta that was made with eggs, and also ricotta cheese was really doing it for me. Well, I indulged and overdosed, and that was enough for me. I had enough ricotta cheese to sink 2 ships lol.

so it's back to being meat free, as well as egg and milk products free. What some people term a 'vegan' lifestyle. (although does that include belts and stuff, like leather? dunno).

I like it purely from a conceptual/efficiency standpoint. That no chickens are being raised because I am somehow using their eggs, and that no cows are being milked, because I want some cheese product. Of course, these things will go on in the world regardless; this is purely a mental cogitation thing for me.
Don't let yourself think it's just in your head, the demand for dairy products and eggs is going down, and the demand for alternatives is going up, as evidenced by Unilever trying to sue an egg-free mayo brand called Just Mayo and other positive signs, like Target now offering meat substitutes. You better believe that they aren't breeding and feeding cows that they can't sell.

I can say now after 2 and a half years of being "vegan", and having little bits of dairy here and there as I craved it, I now no longer crave dairy because it no longer tastes good to me at all. It just tastes sour and off. Now that I've discovered this I feel like I've "accidentally" eaten more dairy now in the past month that I have in a long time... yuck!

I have a couple leather purses and a pair of leather boots, but I don't know if I could actually use them... I have a backpack my mother in law bought that I use everyday though that I believe is trimmed in leather. I say "vegan" mostly to describe my dietary choices, which is usually what is involved when discussing it with other people.
Why I am a Vegan: Cause I come from the Vega star system [Image: alien.png]
(11-24-2014, 12:45 PM)Jade Wrote: [ -> ]Don't let yourself think it's just in your head, the demand for dairy products and eggs is going down, and the demand for alternatives is going up, as evidenced by Unilever trying to sue an egg-free mayo brand called Just Mayo and other positive signs, like Target now offering meat substitutes. You better believe that they aren't breeding and feeding cows that they can't sell.

hehe. That's great!

I'm sure when enough people make a choice, it will start to affect real-world supply and demand curves.

- -

(11-24-2014, 12:45 PM)Jade Wrote: [ -> ]I have a couple leather purses and a pair of leather boots, but I don't know if I could actually use them... I have a backpack my mother in law bought that I use everyday though that I believe is trimmed in leather. I say "vegan" mostly to describe my dietary choices, which is usually what is involved when discussing it with other people.

yea, I actually dunno if I have any leather products. Definitely not my shoes, because they are mostly crocs! Which is quite humorous, given the context of the discussion BigSmile

http://gentleworld.org/whats-wrong-with-leather/

- -

(11-24-2014, 01:16 PM)Spaced Wrote: [ -> ]Why I am a Vegan: Cause I come from the Vega star system [Image: alien.png]

are you sure it's not because you spend all your time in Vegas?

Smile

Unbound

(10-09-2014, 03:29 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-09-2014, 12:25 AM)Unbound Wrote: [ -> ]I am still an omnivore working with the principle of transmutation, om nom nomnivore.

Perhaps you'd have better luck in this endeavor if you weren't weighed down with the negative energies in the animal products. Tongue

Who said I have been lacking luck? (Not sure what luck has to do with it anyways...)
you should spend more time in Vegas Unbound ...

Unbound

I would love to explore the desert around Vegas aha
I went on a raw diet for about 4 months a couple years ago, completely vegan. I felt fantastic, my skin and teeth benefited greatly, my sleep was better and I had more energy. I know that is my optimum diet based on real experience, unfortunately I am a dumb dumb and conformed back to societial expectations, plus with getting free meals after each shift it saves me money on groceries to have that free meal even though it is not quite healthy. I do hope I can once again come closer back to that diet I had in the past. Maybe not 100 percent, but closer.
(11-24-2014, 05:20 PM)Unbound Wrote: [ -> ]I would love to explore the desert around Vegas aha

*cougharizonadesertisbettercough*
(11-24-2014, 07:07 PM)Sabou Wrote: [ -> ]I went on a raw diet for about 4 months a couple years ago, completely vegan. I felt fantastic, my skin and teeth benefited greatly, my sleep was better and I had more energy. I know that is my optimum diet based on real experience

wow! that is great! I'm pretty sure raw isn't for me; but I've definitely been wrong before.
(11-24-2014, 08:49 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-24-2014, 07:07 PM)Sabou Wrote: [ -> ]I went on a raw diet for about 4 months a couple years ago, completely vegan. I felt fantastic, my skin and teeth benefited greatly, my sleep was better and I had more energy. I know that is my optimum diet based on real experience

wow! that is great! I'm pretty sure raw isn't for me; but I've definitely been wrong before.

It was so hard to maintain with family and friends influence. It is possible but with food being such a cultural and social aspect, you stick out like a sore thumb. My roomate actually got mad at me because of it. He would always offer me food when he knew I was on the diet and of course I said no and he would act quite offended lol.

As for what the body needs to be healthy, ya I am not sure if the diet is for everybody but I enjoyed some of the benefits it held for me, I may have been missing some nutrients though...

Unbound

(11-24-2014, 07:58 PM)Parsons Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-24-2014, 05:20 PM)Unbound Wrote: [ -> ]I would love to explore the desert around Vegas aha

*cougharizonadesertisbettercough*

Everyone is in Arizona, I prefer the roads less traveled.
The consensus have no use for the finer senses. For this reason they will never become aware of the fact that fear is not ingested from plants. This is because the plant consciousness does not "die", but simply piggy backs the human consciousness, each raising the energy of the other through useful symbiosis. This takes place with the mineral kingdom as well. We are not simply an animal that kills for instinct or need. We do it "because we can - because we enjoy it". Think back to the fall of Atlantis and how they used their ability to force their will upon the lower life forms "just because they can". We are repeating history.

If you could see yourself from the perspective of the "social memory complex" you would laugh and say "wtf do I do this for?" You would also suddenly understand why they laugh at near everything we do.
From my limited understanding of the Law of One, would it not be the case that there is a distinction between second density animals and third, like some pets?
As far as eating them goes? Well, I guess that's for you to decide... hard knowing whether or not the cow/chicken/pig consumed for lunch was invested in enough to be harvestable. I assume most are on the verge as they are taken out of their natural environments and put into completely man-made ones. I'm sure this gives them above average awareness to the typical herd species. Plants that are harvestable are usually in the form of trees, and even if your garden tomato plant is 3D harvestable you never kill the plant to eat it, giving it more opportunity to reach 3D if it's not.

I've been way too lax in my adherence to veganism. But I watched a video today which shook me to the core - I won't be cheating anymore.

For those needing a bit of inspiration to adhere to a kill-free, compassionate diet which respects the lives of all sentient creatures, try one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K36Zu0pA4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4

[Image: thepretenders.jpg]

Pretenders - Waste Not Want Not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkL9SwhuDQQ

Take, take, take, takin' what you don't need
You'll get, get, gettin' what you don't need
Stand back, take a look and take heed
All the children in God's kingdom bleed

See the networks of concrete and steel
They've no mystery but what they reveal
Tells a story of a future that's void
Of the beauty and the majesty that life on
Earth is meant to be

Talk, talk, talk, talk about the government
Not a word about political favor
Everything touched is my political choice
The life you take is your political voice

The sacred cows come crashing to their knees
Golden harvest reaped without intelligence
There's no chance between the heavens and the seas
In a blood bath don't laugh grab your piece of golden calf

Waste not, want not, pick it up
Waste not, want not

Do unto others as you wish be done to you
There's a million lies 'round everything true
You slaughter when you feast, you disrespect the beast
Make our beds and lie there, take your share

Pick it up and eat it

Waste not, want not
I've switched to a very simple diet just recently.

* 2 meals a day
* each meal consists of a very large fruit juice (fresh), and a plate of pasta with olive oil and tahini as the dressing.

boring?  yet betcha!  

But I've had my fair share of eating all sorts of food, and there are worse things than boring imo.  A lot of foods just make me sleepy and tired; and this is just what happens to work for me.

Of course, I am single and eat alone, and so I can make this work.  When I do eat out - extremely rare -  but I'm not opposed to it, I do eat vegetarian, as it can be a huge hassle to insist on something that is absolutely vegan.

But 2+ years as vege, and this is the current dietary regime.

just the current life update from Plenum  BigSmile
I eat vegan some times, not through choice as such but simply through what i have been eating on a given day. I have been vegetarian for about a year now , although i went back to eating meats for a month or so. I don't think i could fully go vegan, it would be rather difficult not to have dairy as its in so many things.
My mom is moving into a new place in her life and we had a conversation yesterday that I thought we would never have - how to become a vegan. I was teaching her new cooking techniques and she wants to go with me to the grocery store soon so I can teach her more about what -not- to eat. Very exciting!! We went to eat at the local vegan cafe and she picked up every piece of literature they had and was very excited to go home and talk to her boyfriend about it, who apparently has been nagging her forever to prepare healthier food for them. She says she's tired of being fat and tired from everything she eats and I can tell she means it. She also said how the last few times she's made pot roast, it was just so unappetizing to her that she couldn't even eat it.

I told her it could be a process, and she asked, "Does it have to be??"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16