Bring4th
Plant Based Essentials: Leafy Greens - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Studies (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Healing (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: Health & Diet (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: Plant Based Essentials: Leafy Greens (/showthread.php?tid=12786)

Plant Based Essentials: Leafy Greens - Plenum - 04-14-2016

there's a lot of leafy greens out there, but there's only Two that I use on a regular basis: Spinach and Kale.

Leafy greens are quite easy to prepare; they can be steamed easily, or thrown in with a stir fry.  They are also great for green smoothies.

The one downside to this versatile food group is that they do tend to be expensive, and don't last a long time.  One week in the fridge is probably the most you can get away with.  (freezing is always an option too).

/ /

one easy to prepare meal is based on the principle of:

"Grain, Green, Bean'.

one can have cooked grains in the fridge (like rice), add a leafy green, and then throw in half a can of beans.  

some examples:

One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf + Cannellini Beans

[Image: qklbaPY.jpg]

Guacamole Quinoa + Black Beans

[Image: iIzkTQD.jpg]

Spanish Chickpeas with Kale + Farro

[Image: XmdWUp9.jpg]

original recipes here: http://food52.com/blog/8182-a-grain-a-green-a-bean

/ /

my own cooking is in no way that inspired Smile

further greens:

Collard Greens
Turnip Greens
Swiss Chard

RE: Plant Based Essentials: Leafy Greens - Nía - 04-15-2016

Why You Should Always Wash Leafy Greens, Especially ‘Pre-Washed’

RE: Plant Based Essentials: Leafy Greens - Jade - 04-15-2016

I eat kale + lentils + brown rice like, 5 meals a week maybe. Char the kale in olive oil, add some garlic and salt, it's my favorite!

RE: Plant Based Essentials: Leafy Greens - Bring4th_Austin - 04-15-2016

While kale might be expensive, a big benefit is that it is super easy to grow, and very prolific (especially in the right climates). A couple healthy kale plants in the right season are likely more than enough for one person who eats a lot of kale, as you continually harvest it throughout the season. Plus, there are some great varieties that you can grow that are difficult to find in at a grocery store (though rather common at farmer's markets). For people who don't like kale much, the Red Russian variety can be more appealing as it is very tender and very tasty. Great for raw kale dishes. And another bonus of growing it is that it will keep much longer than store-bought. I've been able to keep kale fresh in the crisper in the fridge for longer than a month.

I'll usually throw some kale in with my typical lentil, brown rice, and veggie dish. I will also use it in smoothies, but I tend to like spinach and Swiss chard more as it seems to blend much easier in my mid-range blender.

Bonus picture of some Red Russian kale and Swiss chard from my container garden last year (basil in the background) Smile

[Image: FjyLWJn.jpg]

RE: Plant Based Essentials: Leafy Greens - isis - 04-15-2016

(04-15-2016, 06:43 AM)facettes Wrote: Why You Should Always Wash Leafy Greens, Especially ‘Pre-Washed’

Now you tell me...
I have spinach in my smoothie for breakfast every morning (that I don't wash 1st) & then I pretty much always have kale, turnips, or collards (that I don't wash 1st) with my afternoon meal. I never get sick, though. Maybe I adapted & am now immune to the harmful things there from not washing 1st? That's possible, right? Anyway, I guess I'll start rinsing my greens now...maybe... *sigh*

WHEN YOU'RE GREEN INSIDE, YOU'RE CLEAN INSIDE!

RE: Plant Based Essentials: Leafy Greens - Nía - 04-15-2016

(04-15-2016, 12:20 PM)isis Wrote: I have spinach in my smoothie for breakfast every morning (that I don't wash 1st) & then I pretty much always have kale, turnips, or collards (that I don't wash 1st) with my afternoon meal. I never get sick, though. Maybe I adapted & am now immune to the harmful things there from not washing 1st? That's possible, right? Anyway, I guess I'll start rinsing my greens now...maybe... *sigh*

I personally (which doesn't mean a thing!) wouldn't bother too much in case of a healthy adult (I mostly don't care either, as long as the stuff is totally organic RollEyes), but if either kids or a person who is not in optimum health would be involved, I'd certainly opt for the washing...

RE: Plant Based Essentials: Leafy Greens - Patrick - 04-15-2016

I juice both and drink them daily. Smile

RE: Plant Based Essentials: Leafy Greens - Jade - 04-15-2016

Yeah when I buy greens I try to buy them as "unprocessed" as possible - the full heads of lettuce under the crisper sprays instead of anything in a bag or plastic container. I also don't wash my produce (organic). I live on the edge.

Austin I love your kale pictures!! I have some red kale sprouted inside already (gonna snow this weekend or else I'd start putting stuff out!). Someone told me though that here, with how dry it is, it's a battle with the white flies that really like the folds of the kale. STILL GONNA TRY! Got peas in the ground now, some carrots, and onions. Gonna start lettuce after this next snow. The only bad thing about living at 7,000ft is being in zone 5A. Sad Also I need to do something to discourage all the cats who think my freshly turned up garden boxes are giant litter boxes.