Bring4th
Portraying a compassionate feeling - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Artistic Endeavors (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Thread: Portraying a compassionate feeling (/showthread.php?tid=15948)

Portraying a compassionate feeling - Foha - 06-14-2018

I love the feeling of compassion towards others, especially the longing to meet someone or feeling nostalgic about someone special.

I tried to recently write a song that feels happy but still invokes this kind of feeling of longing...

I'm not sure if I was successful though.

RE: Portraying a compassionate feeling - ada - 06-14-2018

That was very beautiful Foha! You're very good at these.
I felt lonliness and a bit of happiness too. Like a long distanced smile.. I don't know what that even means.
Anyway thank you for that.

I wish I could make music though. There's so many feelings I'd love to turn into melodies.

RE: Portraying a compassionate feeling - Foha - 06-14-2018

(06-14-2018, 03:46 PM)blossom Wrote: I wish I could make music though. There's so many feelings I'd love to turn into melodies.

You can!

If you ever want to learn, I can share my screen and show you how with a computer.

I can't even play piano; I'm not classically trained.

But with computers I can tweak it to sound the way I imagined with enough patience Smile

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it

(06-14-2018, 04:17 PM)Foha Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 03:46 PM)blossom Wrote: I wish I could make music though. There's so many feelings I'd love to turn into melodies.

You can!

If you ever want to learn, I can share my screen and show you how with a computer.

But with computers I can tweak it to sound the way I imagined with enough patience Smile

Oh yes yes yes, I would very much like to learn!
Is it difficult? Do you make the song with a single program or so you use a couple?

(06-14-2018, 04:20 PM)blossom Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 04:17 PM)Foha Wrote:

You can!

Oh yes yes yes, I would very much like to learn!
Is it difficult? Do you make the song with a single program or so you use a couple?
I found it most difficult to be okay with being "directionless" when writing a song.

Instead of wanting it to sound a particular way, I instead yearn for a particular emotion or experience I want to share.

Then it becomes an issue of letting a motif come to you... I usually just let what I have written so far play in the background and fool around on a keyboard (even a laptop keyboard works) until I have an idea of what fits the emotion or experience best.

It mostly takes patience more than anything Smile

If you're free in a couple hours I'd love to show you the process!

I find writing music to be very cathartic... It's probably similar to meditation because I always end up having emotions compete with one another in the composition sometimes, and I will have to make a choice that allows both to shine. Sometimes this involves giving them their own time to exist, other times it means one or both have to make compromises.

It's very interesting to me.

*edit*: I used two programs to make this: Ableton and Audacity. FL Studio (Short for FruityLoops) is a great program that can easily substitute Ableton. Ableton has a lot of bells and whistles, and luxurious sound packs that aren't necessary to get your feet wet in music composition.

Audacity I use to edit sounds. I'm certain there's better ways to do this, but for this song I just copy-pasted the song to make it repeat. I use Audacity for audio effects sometimes, too, if I can't figure out how to do it yet in Ableton.

If you'd like, I can share my screen on google hangouts or something to show you what it's like!

I'm currently on my way home from work, I will talk with you in PM. Okay?

(06-14-2018, 04:32 PM)blossom Wrote: I'm currently on my way home from work, I will talk with you in PM. Okay?

Certainly Smile

RE: Portraying a compassionate feeling - Cainite - 06-15-2018

Interesting. I should start working with software too. what programs do you recommend?

RE: Portraying a compassionate feeling - Foha - 06-15-2018

(06-15-2018, 07:41 AM)Cainite Wrote: Interesting. I should start working with software too. what programs do you recommend?

FL Studio if you'd like to get your feet wet and try something for free.

If you like to write sheet music, then try Finale's products like Finale Notepad, which have some free demos.

If you end up liking FL Studio and want a ton more bells and whistles try Ableton's demos. If you have a student email, you can get a nice discount for a full version, but it's still very expensive. Ableton's demos aren't nearly as nice as FL Studio because they lack the nice sound packs and such that make it shine.

Audacity is great for sound engineering, and is totally free.

Garage band is for recording your real instruments, and I believe is free. It's great for mixing instruments together and it's what my friends primarily use when recording themselves playing as a band.

Ableton and FL Studio allow you to record your instruments, but GarageBand is built for that alone. I believe Finale can try to listen to you play an instrument and automatically transpose the music into sheet music for you. It only exports to midi files if I recall correctly.

RE: Portraying a compassionate feeling - Cainite - 06-15-2018

Thank you. that's really useful.