Bring4th
I want to program an operating system. - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Olio (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: I want to program an operating system. (/showthread.php?tid=16875)

I want to program an operating system. - Cyan - 01-27-2019

So, one of my long term goals or dreams is to program an operating system, the idea would be to make a gaming PC operating system that also runs program but is mainly a gaming PC setup so the base could be something like Linux with a Win emulator.

It should look like a cross between norsemap and eve developement timeline.

So you constantly see what your computer is doing in visual terms not just a list of programs and you see the programmers work on their areas and the grid expanding, so you see the "AI" start getting built. The videos linked for reference are :

So anyway, thats kind of one of my long term dreams.

RE: I want to program an operating system. - AnthroHeart - 01-27-2019

How well do you know Assembly or C?

You would first need to create a Kernel.

Or you could use the Linux Kernel and create a distribution off of that.

Create a fork from Debian or something similar.

You would need to work with drivers as well. Allow for use of already created drivers,
because it would be difficult to develop every driver out there.

RE: I want to program an operating system. - Cyan - 01-27-2019

Somewhat but the actual programing is way beyond me, I'm thinking of flapboards and charts as m level of ability and perhaps a few video demonstrations and public speakings.

RE: I want to program an operating system. - Cainite - 01-27-2019

That sounds very promising.

are you pursuing the goal/dream currently?

RE: I want to program an operating system. - Cyan - 01-27-2019

A little but I have a few more immediate goals and such but I do keep my eye open for interesting visuals.

The idea is that you basically run your computer like a strategy game, you fight the other programs for resources for your program and it lookslike *points at norse* that.

There are many game engines that make programming easier.
Like the Unreal Engine comes to mind.
They have many already built that do physics and other stuff like that.
OpenGL is an old standard, but is well supported on video cards.

It sounds like you're not needing an operating system per se. Maybe and IDE that sits on top of it.
It would be an application that is a simulation.
I would first choose whether you want it to run on Windows, or Linux, or some other distribution.

Don't reinvent the wheel because those OS's are like millions of lines of code. And Linux is free.
They already have graphical interfaces like GNOME.

In short, look into game development libraries.
The libraries are already-written code that will help you out.
They have, for example, some libraries that will simulate an explosion, just with a few lines of code
and handle all the physics to make it realistic.

RE: I want to program an operating system. - Cainite - 01-27-2019

(01-27-2019, 02:47 PM)Cyan Wrote: The idea is that you basically run your computer like a strategy game, you fight the other programs for resources for your program and it lookslike *points at norse* that.

So it's more like a game? or an OS that's specialized in running games?
I like the idea of everything being more visual.

good luck!

RE: I want to program an operating system. - Cyan - 01-28-2019

(01-27-2019, 04:19 PM)Cainite Wrote:
(01-27-2019, 02:47 PM)Cyan Wrote: The idea is that you basically run your computer like a strategy game, you fight the other programs for resources for your program and it lookslike *points at norse* that.

So it's more like a game? or an OS that's specialized in running games?
I like the idea of everything being more visual.

good luck!

its an OS more than a game but if you think about all the things your computer does when you want to play you get the idea, like why have firewall on when you play an offline game, but normal windows doesnt allow you to shut those things down on the fly and it doesnt really adjust well to shutting them down before hand, the idea would be that no program is "always on" in the background but its more of a game of resources for yourself. Its kind of hard to describe well but the idea is there.