Bring4th
How do you meet other spiritual folks like yourself? - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Olio (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: How do you meet other spiritual folks like yourself? (/showthread.php?tid=17329)

How do you meet other spiritual folks like yourself? - JJCarsonian - 06-06-2019

I've spent alot of time chatting with you guys on these boards, but I can't seem to meet other spiritual folks like ourselves in the real world. I guess there is a bias of my surroundings, because folks like ourselves don't tend to work in the corporate world, or maybe they do?

How do you guys go about meeting other folks like yourselves? I was doing searches online for meetup groups, but found some meetup groups where the organizer had set it up to charge for her events, which i thought was super lame.

Any thoughts?

RE: How do you meet other spiritual folks like yourself? - AnthroHeart - 06-06-2019

I guess it just goes with the territory. Every spiritual group I've been a part of has charged.

I have met a couple of people from this forum. And even that wasn't free.

RE: How do you meet other spiritual folks like yourself? - JJCarsonian - 06-06-2019

(06-06-2019, 09:47 PM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: I guess it just goes with the territory. Every spiritual group I've been a part of has charged.

lol the way i think of it, if you create a meetup group with the idea to charge folks to meet up every time you meet up, then your intentions aren't in the right place, and i'm not sure i'd want to be apart of that group. I get that some events have cost. This person was having monthly meetups at her house, charge $15 each time. She also set several meetup groups of similar types in my area, each group had events she charged for.

If you were honestly wanting to bring together of folks of like minds in spirituality, you might have your regular meetups that anyone can attend and introduce themselves. If you wanted to be involved more regularly in outings that they have, there could be dues or cost for that specific outing.

RE: How do you meet other spiritual folks like yourself? - RitaJC - 06-07-2019

(06-06-2019, 08:17 PM)JJCarsonian Wrote: I've spent alot of time chatting with you guys on these boards, but I can't seem to meet other spiritual folks like ourselves in the real world.  I guess there is a bias of my surroundings, because folks like ourselves don't tend to work in the corporate world, or maybe they do?

How do you guys go about meeting other folks like yourselves?  I was doing searches online for meetup groups, but found some meetup groups where the organizer had set it up to charge for her events, which i thought was super lame.

Any thoughts?

I just don't consider anything I experience being not part of "the real world" and appreciate everybody I meet no matter where: "online", "in my dreams" etc. Smile IMHO, appreciation for what is available now is the only key to more enjoyable experiences "in the future".

RE: How do you meet other spiritual folks like yourself? - JJCarsonian - 06-07-2019

(06-07-2019, 06:21 AM)RitaJC Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 08:17 PM)JJCarsonian Wrote: I've spent alot of time chatting with you guys on these boards, but I can't seem to meet other spiritual folks like ourselves in the real world.  I guess there is a bias of my surroundings, because folks like ourselves don't tend to work in the corporate world, or maybe they do?

How do you guys go about meeting other folks like yourselves?  I was doing searches online for meetup groups, but found some meetup groups where the organizer had set it up to charge for her events, which i thought was super lame.

Any thoughts?

I just don't consider anything I experience being not part of "the real world" and appreciate everybody I meet no matter where: "online", "in my dreams" etc. Smile IMHO, appreciation for what is available now is the only key to more enjoyable experiences "in the future".

Thanks Rita! You have my initials btw haha

RE: How do you meet other spiritual folks like yourself? - ada - 06-07-2019

(06-06-2019, 10:43 PM)JJCarsonian Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 09:47 PM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: I guess it just goes with the territory. Every spiritual group I've been a part of has charged.

lol the way i think of it, if you create a meetup group with the idea to charge folks to meet up every time you meet up, then your intentions aren't in the right place, and i'm not sure i'd want to be apart of that group.  I get that some events have cost.  This person was having monthly meetups at her house, charge $15 each time.  She also set several meetup groups of similar types in my area, each group had events she charged for.

If you were honestly wanting to bring together of folks of like minds in spirituality, you might have your regular meetups that anyone can attend and introduce themselves.  If you wanted to be involved more regularly in outings that they have, there could be dues or cost for that specific outing.

If there are snacks, or a specially rented place, then it'd make sense. Otherwise it just feels uncomfortable, idk.

RE: How do you meet other spiritual folks like yourself? - JJCarsonian - 06-07-2019

Yeah i do get it if you're renting a place, but even then, usually active members pay it thru their dues, welcoming all else to join them for free.

In this case, it seems like she is having this monthly thing at her house, and charges $15 for it. It feels like a cheap way for her to advertise her services, and she's praying on honest folks like ourselves that says "I'd like to be part of a spiritual group and meet others like myself" to wander in.

(06-07-2019, 03:00 PM)ada Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 10:43 PM)JJCarsonian Wrote:

lol the way i think of it, if you create a meetup group with the idea to charge folks to meet up every time you meet up, then your intentions aren't in the right place, and i'm not sure i'd want to be apart of that group.  I get that some events have cost.  This person was having monthly meetups at her house, charge $15 each time.  She also set several meetup groups of similar types in my area, each group had events she charged for.

If you were honestly wanting to bring together of folks of like minds in spirituality, you might have your regular meetups that anyone can attend and introduce themselves.  If you wanted to be involved more regularly in outings that they have, there could be dues or cost for that specific outing.

If there are snacks, or a specially rented place, then it'd make sense. Otherwise it just feels uncomfortable, idk.

RE: How do you meet other spiritual folks like yourself? - Glow - 06-07-2019

I had some luck mmeting spiritual people at a few meetups, I think the structure though predisposes outside relationships not to be formed.

Most are run as a teacher/student dynamic and that doesn’t really do much to form bonds outside that class experience.

It might be effective to start a meetup where it’s a spiritually inclined group of people going out to do non structured things like eat or mini golf or play cards, skydive ect something you’d do with normal friends vs the structured classroom type setup.

When I (never)have more time I might try running one to see if that works better. For now I realize I talk to people all day everyday, and just find what beauty/love/oneness I can in each interaction. Maybe one day in person spiritual friendships will form in real life but till then I have this place. Smile

I think it would be fun though to have a few friends with a spiritual bias to do normal mundane things with. Might sound lame but I kind of fantasize about having a once monthly drop in night for cards chilli, a drink or two or not, with like minded people. Playing cards with a big group weird conversations break out. I can only image how out there conversation could get with a group of spiritual seeking people in that situation who were comfortable with one another, laughing and sharing a meal. Smile

RE: How do you meet other spiritual folks like yourself? - ada - 06-07-2019

So like friendship, I like that.  Smile