Bring4th
Don's Source About Magical Personality - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Studies (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Strictly Law of One Material (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Don's Source About Magical Personality (/showthread.php?tid=17524)

Don's Source About Magical Personality - Infinite - 08-21-2019

About that question of Don:

Quote:75.32 Questioner: The three aspects of the magical personality are stated to be power, love, and wisdom. Is this correct and are these the only primary aspects of the magical personality?

Ra: I am Ra. The three aspects of the magical personality, power, love, and wisdom, are so called in order that attention be paid to each aspect in developing the basic tool of the adept; that is, its self. It is by no means a personality of three aspects. It is a being of unity, being of sixth density and equivalent to what you call your higher self and, at the same time, is a personality enormously rich in variety of experience and subtlety of emotion.

The three aspects are given that the neophyte not abuse the tools of its trade but rather approach those tools balanced in the center of love and wisdom and thus seeking power in order to serve.

Does anyone here have any idea about what source Don consulted about the term "magical personality" and its three aspects being power, love, and wisdom? Thanks.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - AnthroHeart - 08-21-2019

I see 3rd eye chakra as power.
heart chakra as love
and throat chakra as wisdom.

It could also be indigo ray is power, green ray is love, and blue ray is wisdom.

Magical personality is a 6th density phenomenon, so these rays could be subdensities of 6th density.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Infinite - 08-21-2019

(08-21-2019, 02:21 PM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: I see 3rd eye chakra as power.
heart chakra as love
and throat chakra as wisdom.

It could also be indigo ray is power, green ray is love, and blue ray is wisdom.

Me too. It's very clear that conclusion.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Aaron - 08-21-2019

It was possibly one of these books?: https://www.golden-dawn.com/eu/displaycontent.aspx?pageid=237-golden-dawn-alpha-et-omega-collection

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - loostudent - 08-23-2019

Don was interested in GD indeed. The group used the banishing ritual...

BTW. isn't power primary the third chakra (yellow)?

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Nau7ik - 08-23-2019

I’m not sure which source exactly they got that from, but I do know they were reading Dion Fortune and other books related to the Golden Dawn Mystery Tradition.

Love, Wisdom, and Power, I believe, correspond to the spheres of Chesed, Geburah, and Tiphareth. Tiphareth would be the balance of love and wisdom which results in power. Jesus Christ is such a one who belongs to Tiphareth, he was a being of power, balance in love and wisdom. (The magical images are a wartime king going forth in his chariot, and a beneficent majestic merciful king sitting on his throne. Both of these qualities balance each other from going to extremes, therefore denoting Power.)

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Infinite - 08-23-2019

My brothers and sisters, I believe I found the source which Don consulted. It's a book called "Applied Magic" by Dion Fortune. Here the stretches with the exact terms:

Quote:1 had long been familiar with the method of going forth by night in the Horvendile body, but was unable to practise it successfully until 1 was given my 'magical name! The magical name, whether given by the teacher or discovered by oneself, seems to be an important point in the process of the formulation of the Horvendile body; it appears to play the same part as the grain of sand plays in the formation of the pearl. The psychology of the uses of the magical name needs more study than I can give it at the moment without digression. It must suffice to say that its uses are traditional and I have proved its efficacy in practice Like most people of vivid imagination I am no stranger to the indulgence in flights of fancy wherein I am the centre of romantic adventures in my Own person; like most fiction writers I have put something of myself into my characters; but the creation of a magical personality is a different matter; for if it is to be of any value, it must be in every way greater than oneself, and how can the pan be more than the whole that gives rise to it?

Quote:It must be remembered that Archetypes, though possessing a certain defined aspect of force, work in phases. Thus the three great Logoidal Aspects (Love, Wisdom, Power) work each in three phases.

(08-23-2019, 09:19 AM)Nau7ik Wrote: I’m not sure which source exactly they got that from, but I do know they were reading Dion Fortune and other books related to the Golden Dawn Mystery Tradition.

Love, Wisdom, and Power, I believe, correspond to the spheres of Chesed, Geburah, and Tiphareth. Tiphareth would be the balance of love and wisdom which results in power. Jesus Christ is such a one who belongs to Tiphareth, he was a being of power, balance in love and wisdom. (The magical images are a wartime king going forth in his chariot, and a beneficent majestic merciful king sitting on his throne. Both of these qualities balance each other from going to extremes, therefore denoting Power.)

You were right! Thanks!

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Eddie - 08-23-2019

Jim demonstrated the Banishing Ritual of the Lesser Pentagram last Homecoming.  It was quite impressive.

I might talk to Jim about teaching me how to do that, so that someone else knows how to do it after Jim passes on.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Infinite - 08-21-2020

Well, I need to make a correction.

(08-23-2019, 11:03 AM)Infinite Wrote: My brothers and sisters, I believe I found the source which Don consulted. It's a book called "Applied Magic" by Dion Fortune.

The book Don used as a basis for questioning Ra about magic was not that of Dion, but a book called "The Magician: His Training and Work" by W. E. Butler. Don quotes this book in "Secrets of The UFO" as he recommends it in the bibliography. However, as Butler was a friend of Dion Fortune, it's possible that these concepts came from Dion. He cites her as a great occultist alongside Eliphas Levi and other well-known names. In the book there is an entire chapter on the magical personality.

Some excerpts:

Quote:The magical tradition afrrms that the universe is one, and that no part of that universe is in esse separate from any other part. As the poet writes, "All are but parts of one stupendous Whole." All that exists in the univlrse, therefore, is the expression of an underlying unity which subsists through all things. This may be condemned as mere "pantheism" but it is not so in reality, for behind the subsisting unity which express itself in the existing universe there is That of which the Universal Soul, the Collective Host of Life and Form is but an expression.

Quote:In order to build up a balanced magical personality, construct it around the three basic aspects of life: Power, Love and Wisdom.

[...]

It is most important that the building up of the form-aspect of the magical personality should not be commenced before these three aspects of Life have been thoroughly meditated upon, and some realisation of their nature gained.

Quote:It will have been noticed that this training is based entirely upon the personality of the would-be magician and this carries with it many important implications. In the early stages of our magical training, our motives are usually mixed, but from the beginning one motive must be present in our minds if we wish safely to tread the magical path. This motive we have already referred to. It is the desire to know in order to serve, and it must be the primary motive of our interest in magic.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Aion - 08-22-2020

It is worth noting that W.E. Butler joined Dion Fortune's Society of the Inner Light and trained with her so there is likely some common elements there.
Dion Fortune of course was a member of the Golden Dawn for some time but then parted ways to start her own foundation, part of the saga of drama after the end of the 'first temple'.
Her strain of magic is more rooted in the ideas of Theosophy which she was first influenced by, merged with the traditions, particularly Qabalah, she learned in the Golden Dawn. She was a fan of Blavatsky.

The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram is a quintessentially Golden Dawn ritual, having been formulated by Dr. Wynn Wescott with the help of others.
There are numerous variations that have been created since, modifications made.
I'm of the opinion that any change to a ritual is like changing an ingredient in a recipe, you might still get something 'good' but not actually replicate the original, or its exact effects.

The Hermetic Society of the Golden Dawn continues to exist to this day for those who so choose to seek it out.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Patrick - 08-22-2020

I wonder how these guys tested those "recipes" ?

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Infinite Unity - 08-22-2020

Ehh I find these rituals to be a type of tuning the focus and activating discpline. After much practice One can enter these states without such rituals. It becomes like walking through a doorway.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Aion - 08-23-2020

There is much more to these traditions than the "attaining of states", in my humble opinion, but everyone finds their own way to the One and no path is wrong.

As for how these recipes were tested, they were not built from nothing. The founders of the Golden Dawn were Master Masons and high ranking SRIA Rosicrucians who had practiced and studied esoterics for many years. Dr. Wescott in particular was quite oriented towards the sciences and they were tested through repeated experimentation as far as I understand, building from hypothesis. The LBRP is but one ritual of the Golden Dawn which was built from a variety of influences, of which there is indeed a verifiable history scattered across various books.

However, the easiest way to understand Golden Dawn is as "fringe masonry", it has a lot of similarities to masonry in its ritual structure and design but is pointedly more pagan and 'occult' than masonry which is more influenced by Hiram and Judaism.

Ultimately, everyone connects with different things and different paths. I'm of the opinion that many paths exists because people are very different but everyone will find their own way.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Patrick - 08-23-2020

The Ra Material itself is evidence that these magical workings might be a requirement when you are playing the game at that level.  I'm not sure Don would have had the discipline of the personality required to invoke the same protection without the rituals.  Our veil probably gets in the way too much for this.  Particularly, for Wanderers I would say.  We often go the extra mile to gimp ourselves before incarnation.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Aion - 08-24-2020

Well, I've tried numerous times to post a large and detailed post here but apparently Bring4th refuses so I guess that's a no go.

Yet for some reason it posted this one, lol.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - sillypumpkins - 08-24-2020

(08-24-2020, 11:14 AM)Aion Wrote: Well, I've tried numerous times to post a large and detailed post here but apparently Bring4th refuses so I guess that's a no go.

is there a character limit? Maybe spread it into 2 posts?

I've tried editing it to make it work, seems to be a server issue.

Definitely not a character limit issue, I've done way longer posts.

Weird it lets me post still but not that one block of text.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - Patrick - 08-24-2020

(08-24-2020, 11:14 AM)Aion Wrote: Well, I've tried numerous times to post a large and detailed post here but apparently Bring4th refuses so I guess that's a no go.

Can you try PMing it to me to see if it's a platform restriction per se ?

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - ostatni dan - 08-24-2020

(08-23-2020, 01:51 AM)Aion Wrote: There is much more to these traditions than the "attaining of states", in my humble opinion, but everyone finds their own way to the One and no path is wrong.

As for how these recipes were tested, they were not built from nothing. The founders of the Golden Dawn were Master Masons and high ranking SRIA Rosicrucians who had practiced and studied esoterics for many years. Dr. Wescott in particular was quite oriented towards the sciences and they were tested through repeated experimentation as far as I understand, building from hypothesis. The LBRP is but one ritual of the Golden Dawn which was built from a variety of influences, of which there is indeed a verifiable history scattered across various books.

However, the easiest way to understand Golden Dawn is as "fringe masonry", it has a lot of similarities to masonry in its ritual structure and design but is pointedly more pagan and 'occult' than masonry which is more influenced by Hiram and Judaism.

Ultimately, everyone connects with different things and different paths. I'm of the opinion that many paths exists because people are very different but everyone will find their own way.

As far as i know, magickal rituals in similar form were practiced in ancient sumeria, so one can say that they are as old as our recorded history goes - who knows where they got it from. Tbh if i had to bet i would say that magick in different forms was somehow channeled to us, or brought to this density by incarnated figures from higher densities, like Hermes Trismegistos (if he was a real individual) or Jesus.

Actually a lot of stuff in magick is parallel with what i've read in the Law of One. For example, as you develop yourself, you move through sefirots on the tree of life, and get to tiphereth - you attain something called knowledge and conversation of your holy guardian angel. I think it is synonymous with establishing a contact with your higher self. Couple of steps later, you get from chesed to binah - this process is called crossing the abyss, and it is synonymous with starting to perceive the world from perspective of unity. Getting to the top, keter, would be connecting to intelligent infinity - which means progressing to the next octave of experience while still being in 3rd density.

If i had to describe magick rituals (like lbrp) performed with intention to make a change in consciousness - they are a set of symbols visualised and performed in a ceremonial setting to make an imprint on your unconscious (which speaks through symbols), in order to make parts of it conscious. All zodiac signs, planets, and elements (air, fire, water, earth) work as archetypes, that exist in our minds, so that we can make certain forces in us stronger or weaker in order to achieve equilibrium, or any other state we want. Thats why magick is explainaible for people that both believe in supernatural or not. Explaining manifesting things is harder though haha, but i never felt drawn to that part so i wont even start.

(08-24-2020, 03:25 PM)ostatni dan Wrote:
(08-23-2020, 01:51 AM)Aion Wrote: There is much more to these traditions than the "attaining of states", in my humble opinion, but everyone finds their own way to the One and no path is wrong.

As far as i know, magickal rituals in similar form were practiced in ancient sumeria, so one can say that they are as old as our recorded history goes - who knows where they got it from. Tbh if i had to bet i would say that magick in different forms was somehow channeled to us, or brought to this density by incarnated figures from higher densities, like Hermes Trismegistos (if he was a real individual) or Jesus.

Actually a lot of stuff in magick is parallel with what i've read in the Law of One. For example, as you develop yourself, you move through sefirots on the tree of life, and get to tiphereth - you attain something called knowledge and conversation of your holy guardian angel. I think it is synonymous with establishing a contact with your higher self. Couple of steps later, you get from chesed to binah - this process is called crossing the abyss, and it is synonymous with starting to perceive the world from perspective of unity. Getting to the top, keter, would be connecting to intelligent infinity - which means progressing to the next octave of experience while still being in 3rd density.

If i had to describe magick rituals (like lbrp) performed with intention to make a change in consciousness - they are a set of symbols visualised and performed in a ceremonial setting to make an imprint on your unconscious (which speaks through symbols), in order to make parts of it conscious. All zodiac signs, planets, and elements (air, fire, water, earth) work as archetypes, that exist in our minds, so that we can make certain forces in us stronger or weaker in order to achieve equilibrium, or any other state we want. Thats why magick is explainaible for people that both believe in supernatural or not. Explaining manifesting things is harder though haha, but i never felt drawn to that part so i wont even start.

Many such rituals were built on ancient concepts, traditions and mystery schools across time, so naturally you are going to see syncretisms and parallels.
Magic is not something that is owned or possessed by any individual or group, there are many paths of magic.
In the case of the LBRP there is actually a recorded history, it's not something shrouded in the obscurity of time.

Also some paths of magic are not compatible with others in their ways of working, and not all concepts are shared. For example the concept of the Holy Guardian Angel derives from the work of Abramelin the Mage and is a main feature of Thelema, but does not exist in the Golden Dawn or Rosicrucian tradition, for example . Then from Thelema you have the development of Wicca which takes the focus to pagan concepts of God and Goddess combined with witchcraft, but which then makes it counter to the concept of Thelema eschewing worship. Just to show how even derivatives can turn on their progenitors.

There is a definite history of traditions growing out of eachother whenever someone has a different way of thinking, so while we can say all magic likely comes from the same trunk and roots, there are so many branches each with its own characteristic. I think it's important to recognize these branches and not just chop them all off, the branches are part of the tree too.

That being said, I would largely agree with your description of ritual more or less. I do believe there is more to it than just self-impression, but that's a different topic.

RE: Don's Source About Magical Personality - flofrog - 08-24-2020

btw Infinite, thank you for this thread Wink

(08-24-2020, 12:18 PM)Patrick Wrote:

Can you try PMing it to me to see if it's a platform restriction per se ?

Won't let it send over PM either, my guess is something along the lines that when I last tried to post it it created a cache file and now reads it as a duplicate. It's fine when I type something new but won't let me copy and paste the saved reply.

I don't reeeeally wannna type it outtt aaaggaiinn......