Bring4th
Historical source of the balancing exercises? - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Studies (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Spiritual Development & Metaphysical Matters (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Historical source of the balancing exercises? (/showthread.php?tid=18057)

Historical source of the balancing exercises? - native - 03-16-2020

I believe I've asked this long ago but can't find it. What tradition are the balancing exercises rooted in? The way it's spoken of very specifically, I get the sense that it's coming from some hermetic teaching, Rosicrucian, Golden Dawn, etc. It sounds very daoist though too. Any help appreciated!

RE: Historical source of antithesis balancing? - 888 - 03-16-2020

Which exercises are you asking about?

RE: Historical source of antithesis balancing? - native - 03-16-2020

The balancing exercises described in session 5.

RE: Historical source of the balancing exercises? - 888 - 03-17-2020

I think most of what Ra taught is 'cosmic' or universal in origin, rather than information sourced from human mystics, who were also interpreting universal truths from their unique perspectives.

If there's a historical precedent, it either dates back to Ra's time on Venus, the billions of years they spent in higher densities, a previous entity that Ra themselves may have learned from, or a timeless source.

RE: Historical source of the balancing exercises? - Infinite - 03-17-2020

Up to now, the only source I found similar teachings is justly the book "Initiation", quoted in session 41:

Quote:41.23 Questioner: I have a book, Initiation, in which the woman describes initiation. Are you familiar with the contents of this book?

Ra: I am Ra. This is correct. We scan your mind.

41.24 Questioner: Jim has read the entire book. I have only read part of it, but I was wondering if the teachings in the book with respect to balancing were your teachings, Ra’s teachings?

Ra: I am Ra. This is basically correct with distortions that may be seen when this material is collated with the material we have offered.

RE: Historical source of the balancing exercises? - Nau7ik - 03-17-2020

(03-17-2020, 04:05 AM)888 Wrote: I think most of what Ra taught is 'cosmic' or universal in origin, rather than information sourced from human mystics, who were also interpreting universal truths from their unique perspectives.

If there's a historical precedent, it either dates back to Ra's time on Venus, the billions of years they spent in higher densities, a previous entity that Ra themselves may have learned from, or a timeless source.

Perfect response. Balance is a universal principle. It is the Key to spiritual evolution. So any true teacher of the positive polarity will recommend that which brings balance.

However, yes, these same principle can be found in the Western Mystery Tradition and the Eastern traditions.

The Tree of Life shows three pillars, the Pillar of Mercy (Positive pole) and the Pillar of Severity (Negative pole) with the Pillar of Mildness in the middle. The two side pillars are extremes whilst the middle pillar is the equilibrium between the two poles. By way of the Middle Pillar does consciousness elevate itself to higher levels. There is a direct pathway to God (Kether) through the Middle Pillar.

RE: Historical source of the balancing exercises? - Hilarion - 03-17-2020

The only similar technique I have come across is called 'opposition thinking' from the book "The Monk Who Sold his Ferrari". The author learns it from a man who visited the Sages of Sivana, a group of remote sages in India.

RE: Historical source of the balancing exercises? - Vasilisa - 03-17-2020

(03-16-2020, 09:54 AM)native Wrote: I believe I've asked this long ago but can't find it. What tradition are the balancing exercises rooted in? The way it's spoken of very specifically, I get the sense that it's coming from some hermetic teaching, Rosicrucian, Golden Dawn, etc. It sounds very daoist though too. Any help appreciated!

All that you have listed is part of the Western Mystery Tradition. You have correctly understood that the teachings of Ra are also part of this Tradition.

Dion Fortune, Walter Butler, Gareth Knight, Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki. You will be surprised how much the work of these authors is in tune with the Materials of Ra.

And of course, these authors drew their inspiration not only from channeling, like D. Fortune's "Cosmic Doctrine" and E. Blavatsky's "Secret Doctrine", but also from joint ritual work. The founders of the Golden Dawn were both Rosicrucians and Freemasons .

RE: Historical source of the balancing exercises? - native - 03-17-2020

888 - Certainly

Infinite - Aha! That's it..thanks a lot!

(03-17-2020, 12:54 PM)Hilarion Wrote: The only similar technique I have come across is called 'opposition thinking' from the book "The Monk Who Sold his Ferrari". The author learns it from a man who visited the Sages of Sivana, a group of remote sages in India.

Never heard of it..thanks!

(03-17-2020, 12:58 PM)Vasilisa Wrote: All that you have listed is part of the Western Mystery Tradition. You have correctly understood that the teachings of Ra are also part of this Tradition.

Dion Fortune, Walter Butler, Gareth Knight, Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki. You will be surprised how much the work of these authors is in tune with the Materials of Ra.

And of course, these authors drew their inspiration not only from channeling, like D. Fortune's "Cosmic Doctrine" and E. Blavatsky's "Secret Doctrine", but also from joint ritual work. The founders of the Golden Dawn were both Rosicrucians and Freemasons .

Yes, I'm familiar in general with the esoteric tradition but wanted to know where specifically the balancing exercises came from. It's one of the things that has been really useful. Ra as I understand it, always worked with concepts the group was already familiar with. The Ra material has led me down blind alleys though, so I like to look at what the group looked at. Of course any wandering down blind alleys are shared distortions. No worries there Smile

RE: Historical source of the balancing exercises? - Vasilisa - 03-17-2020

(03-17-2020, 01:59 PM)native Wrote: The Ra material has led me down blind alleys though, so I like to look at what the group looked at. Of course any wandering down blind alleys are shared distortions. No worries there Smile

What the group looked at then, I'm afraid only Jim can tell.

Ra has a very peculiar style of responses. In different books there is a similar General recommendations. But these recommendations are not similar to the precisely formulated answers given by Ra)

RE: Historical source of the balancing exercises? - Aion - 03-17-2020

I would just like to point to the thought that any system developed in words or thought is attempting to capture some fraction of the universal truth, so all of these philosophies are tending towards that same truth. The key is to look beyond technique to the purpose of the use.

As they say in the first session, they are only offering another slant on the same old truth.

RE: Historical source of the balancing exercises? - Infinite - 03-18-2020

(03-17-2020, 07:55 AM)Infinite Wrote: Up to now, the only source I found similar teachings is justly the book "Initiation", quoted in session 41:

I forgot to write the author name. It's Elisabeth Haich. Here a stretch about a kind of balance exercise:

Quote:In these exercises, Mentuptah dictates to us various inter-related dream pictures which we must experience as intensively as if they were real. With these dream pictures we intentionally produce different emotional states within ourselves and learn how to control them. With these exercises Mentuptah takes us through all the different spheres of the underworld and overworld, through the seven Hells and the seven Heavens, teaching us to keep our presence of mind no matter what may happen so that even in the most difficult situations we can instantly decide what to do.

As soon as we have completely mastered this kind of exercise, we go a step further. We have to experience different emotional states on command, without dream pictures, but with the same intensity as if we really had a reason. We begin these exercises at the lowest negative condition, moving up step by step until we reach the highest positive condition. To take an example, we begin by experiencing the deepest state of dejection, moving up gradually through indifference, then on higher and higher, through joy and on up to the highest state of happiness.

When after long practice we get proficient at this exercise, we are obliged to practise faster changeovers from one emotional state to another until we can experience them all, one after the other, as easily and positively as a musician draws forth a whole gamut of tone from his instrument, from the lowest to the highest. When we achieve proficiency at running quickly through the whole scale of human emotions—from darkest desperation to the highest bliss—we take the next step. This consists of experiencing opposite emotional states, one after the other, with no time lost for transition, shifting from deep sadness immediately to the highest hilarity. Or, to take another example, from fear immediately to self-assured courage.

We are only permitted to do these exercises under the direction of our teacher. They represent a great strain for our nerves. It takes us a long time to reach the point of being able, with the aid of the dream pictures, to experience the emotional states as vividly as if they were external events in our lives. It takes us still longer to be able to experience the full scale of emotional states from the lowest to the highest. Only when we can bring our nerves to complete rest after these exercises, keeping them in a well-rested condition throughout the day, are we permitted to practise the most difficult exercises of experiencing diametrically opposite emotions without a time of transition. The aim of these exercises is to make us independent of both external events and our own personal moods, thus enabling us to determine our own moods ourselves and maintain our emotional equilibrium no matter what happens. We are taught constant inner watchfulness and presence of mind.

People believe that there always has to be a reason for their being joyous or happy. Through the exercises with the dream pictures we first imagine we have a reason for being in one mood or another. Thus we learn to control the reasons themselves! As we do not actually have a reason, however, we have to imagine one ourselves.

Then comes the next step of experiencing an emotional state by itself, without a reason, without having previously imagined a situation such as would call forth the mood to be experienced.

After long practice, when we have become quite skilful at these exercises, we discover we have always imagined we had a reason for being 'sad' or 'joyous', 'depressed' or 'exuberant' etc. Through these exercises we thus become convinced that events and occurrences in our lives must not have any effect on us. We discover that every state of consciousness arises—and can only arise—within ourselves. One and the same event can provoke one person to laughter, another to tears, while a third remains completely indifferent; all because each is merely projecting outwardly his own inward attitude, and it is only this inward attitude which provokes our response, not the external events themselves. As a final result, the pupil must attain the ability to keep his emotional composure imperturbable and unshakeable at all times, never losing it under any circumstances. These exercises also teach us that whatever happens on earth is only a transitory dream picture projected in time and space by ourselves. We only need to take it seriously in so far as it adds to our experience.

RE: Historical source of the balancing exercises? - native - 03-18-2020

Thanks for the post. That could be it..I'll have to look poke around some more.