Bring4th
I want to start writing. A short Story Poll, Community Decides - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Artistic Endeavors (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Thread: I want to start writing. A short Story Poll, Community Decides (/showthread.php?tid=19105)

I want to start writing. A short Story Poll, Community Decides - Black Dragon - 04-18-2021

I have been wanting to start creative writing and worldbuilding a universe. It will be "scifi" with spiritual elements in a way as "real" as I can make with metaphysical knowledge dressed up as scifi. Many different stories and settings I could use in a universe that roughly parallels what I know and theorize and imagine about our own.

For the longest time I've been creatively blocked and still suffer from indecision and procrastination. I thought hey, b4 is the community that would appreciate such a story and letting you all choose the setting out of a few would inspire me to get off my ass and write something.

I've put four choices I think would be a good starting point. I will work present or near present day Earth parallel into it at some point but things are in such flux right now I don't know what kind of story I should be telling about that quite yet, or rather, too many stories at once. The others I listed will be easier.

If anyone has any other suggestions or ideas not on the list, let me know and I'll consider.

RE: I want to start writing. A short Story Poll, Community Decides - Ymarsakar - 04-18-2021

There is always the time loop paradox plot of Groundhog's Day.

Go into the future, and end up in the past.

RE: I want to start writing. A short Story Poll, Community Decides - Black Dragon - 04-18-2021

I don't even know why but I was thinking of Groundhog Day earlier today of all things. Well maybe now I do, lol. I don't even think I've seen the movie or if I have it was a long time ago as a kid.

But yes, a temporal paradox. That could be an interesting part of the plot. I can work that into the short story on some level, whichever of those four settings I end up choosing.

RE: I want to start writing. A short Story Poll, Community Decides - Black Dragon - 04-18-2021

It will take a little while to add to and review my research on those settings, and tap into my intuition and guidance to flesh out a good storyline and characters and get extra details and creative inspirations.

I've wanted to write scifi and/or fantasy for a long time. After awakening, I knew I wanted to add legitimate spiritual truths and express the Law of One, and higher metaphysical and technological concepts as well as deep philosophical and spiritual themes and character development, all on a scale of worldbuilding as large as you'd find in the Marvel universe, but not Marvel comic-y. Sort of like a newer version of what Star Trek was for its time but grittier and more spiritual at the same time. All that and more. It's a lot to work with, but a big universe creates the stage for a lot of good smaller stories.

I'd like to use the short story I write for this as a rough draft for a jumping off/introductory point into my fictional universe. I've though about just writing a spiritual book straight up, and eventually I may, but it may reach a wider audience that needs it more dressed up as scifi, and will be fun to write.

RE: I want to start writing. A short Story Poll, Community Decides - Ymarsakar - 04-18-2021

Something more visceral like Babylon 5? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbk4VhKr6JA

As humanity obtains more ideas of what space/ether really is, most of the old tropes will become obsolete.

RE: I want to start writing. A short Story Poll, Community Decides - sillypumpkins - 04-18-2021

I started writing a Lemuria themed short story last year.......... something about two youngins' going into the forest for an initiation kind of deal...

my vote is for lemuria!!! Smile for whatever reason, that is the most fascinating setting for me Tongue

RE: I want to start writing. A short Story Poll, Community Decides - Diana - 04-18-2021

Yes write!

All of your subjects are great, but as a writer myself, I will say that the best writing comes out of something that has to written—in other words, something you yourself are utterly compelled to write. So whichever of these subjects really blows your skirt up (or kilt) is the one.

(04-18-2021, 12:28 PM)Diana Wrote: Yes write!

All of your subjects are great, but as a writer myself, I will say that the best writing comes out of something that has to written—in other words, something you yourself are utterly compelled to write. So whichever of these subjects really blows your skirt up (or kilt) is the one.

Good call for sure! They are all great subjects though...from a worldbuilding perspective if I continue to write, I'll visit them all and interlink them eventually. The poll is more a tiebreaker looking where to start. There were some other concepts but these four came up strongest while writing this idea.

So far its looking like you guys want a "Star Trek" future type story...with temporal paradox...connected to at least one of these other settings I mentioned? Sound about right? This should be interesting...

Wont be the future for long. More like a youth present modern day setting.

Isekai genre.

An everyday person, old world ended, new world enter. The choice,, child and the tower fallen.

RE: I want to start writing. A short Story Poll, Community Decides - flofrog - 04-18-2021

I like it BD, go forth and create ! Wink we are WAITING

I've got a general idea for the beginnings of a skeleton of a plotline. It's how to condense it because there's actually a lot I can do with it, just deciding on things. I'm going to take some time to do research and creative meditation, look within my imagination and soul memory.

I feel way less blocked than I ever have and details and inspirations are streaming in now. It's coming together. not gonna drop too many if any major hints or spoilers here, just gonna work it out for a while and post when I actually have something done, a story or partial story. Right now research/inspiration.