Bring4th
what movie did you last watch? - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Art, Media, & Entertainment (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: what movie did you last watch? (/showthread.php?tid=9894)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: what movie did you last watch? - native - 06-07-2015

I want to start watching French New Wave films..they changed the way movies are made. What differentiates a movie today from anything prior to the late 60's is due to the New Wave. Here's a good summary:

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Minyatur - 06-08-2015

Watched the movie Brain Donors.

Made me rethink entirely what kind of human I want to be.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Jeremy - 06-08-2015

We watched jupiter ascending and this was the first wackowski movie that I was disappointed in. When I say disappointed, it freaking sucked. I knew within the first scene that something felt really off about this movie. It felt really cheesy but since I've always liked their movies and they generally have a deeper meaning intertwined, I kept watching but it never came. It felt rushed and the storyline felt like it had so many holes and no real purpose.

The Visitor (1979) - third-density-being - 06-17-2015

Hello Dear Other-Selves,

I’ve watched lately movie titled The Visitor from year 1979 (Original title: "Stridulum").

I have to admit that this is unusually movie and I’ve read Reviews saying that it was not understood. But there was one (“There’s nothing like it” by Vorazqux) that made me want to try it.

With The Law of One Information and Understanding this movie is quite a show.
Movie itself is quite old but thanks to it You have an occasion to appreciate “light work” and the effect that may be achieved with it’s use. Also “smoke” was used in unusual ways and both with light possess very symbolic meaning (for me at least).

While watching this movie I was thinking at some point about multidimensional phenomenon/events/realities that while being attempted to translate into three-dimensional reality “It” cannot be fully manifested within this/Our World, therefore the most brilliant qualities/attributes are manifested in only possible form – Light. I don’t want to spoil for Those, who choose to watch this movie, therefore I only write that at the end of the movie it become more “visible”.

I also would like to write couple words regarding the very beginning of the movie – the “meeting” (or vision) between two Beings, that for me personally was quite interesting “visualization” (not very fortunate label/word) of meeting of two, fifth-dimensional Beings of opposite polarities. Physical elements of Creation were used “only” as en exertion/manifestation of Will.
This scene is almost as symbolical as Great Arcane of Tarot it-Self – with both figures, events in background and the “encounter” itself.
The very next scene with Jesus-like Character is also interesting.

If Any-One would like to exchange interpretations of this movie, I’m open to it.

All I have Best in me for You

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Monica - 06-17-2015

Jurassic World. Very disappointed. They just don't make 'em like they used to!

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Lighthead - 06-21-2015

I just saw this movie. I thought it was excellent...highly recommended. One of the best movies I've seen, ever. Gone Girl.

[Image: gone-girl-poster.jpg]

RE: what movie did you last watch? - APeacefulWarrior - 06-24-2015

(06-17-2015, 04:05 PM)third-density-being Wrote: Hello Dear Other-Selves,

I’ve watched lately movie titled The Visitor from year 1979 (Original title: "Stridulum").

I have to admit that this is unusually movie and I’ve read Reviews saying that it was not understood. But there was one (“There’s nothing like it” by Vorazqux) that made me want to try it.

Thanks for the recommendation! I love digging up old weird cult movies like this. So I went and watched it.

I'm honestly not sure why people said it was incomprehensible. The plot laid out everything that was happening. I think it may be that the scenario was so weird that people just couldn't take the movie's own internal mythology at face value. It did leave a lot of unanswered questions, tho, like who the council was that backed Lance Henricksen (has he ever NOT looked creepy?) or what exact relationship the housekeeper had with John Huston.

I thought that visuals were often amazing, especially for what was clearly a pretty low-budget affair. That opening shot of the two figures and the sandstorm rolling in was absolutely stunning, and I was impressed at how well the director worked with light. Like you, I definitely saw bits of that (especially the light ships at the end) to feel a lot like the LOO cosmology.

Mostly, I wish they had spent more time dealing with the sci-fi stuff and less time rehashing The Exorcist, The Omen, and Rosemary's Baby. The main thing that held the movie back, I thought, was too much obvious borrowing from films of the last few years.

On a related note, have you ever seen the Sun Ra movie "Space is the Place"? It's got quite a bit in common with this thematically, even if they go off in two different directions. It's another low-budget 70s scifi that more fans of weird films should see. Plus, the cosmology is VERY LOO-esque. Just as a mild warning, however, it's very deep in black nationalist politics from that time, which might be off-putting to some viewers. I don't think that should distract too much from the messages Sun Ra is putting forward, though, even if he hadn't yet entirely worked through his younger, more militant race theory days.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Monica - 06-24-2015

(06-21-2015, 03:23 AM)Lighthead Wrote: I just saw this movie. I thought it was excellent...highly recommended. One of the best movies I've seen, ever. Gone Girl.

What did you like about it?

We just saw 2 movies in the last week or so.

Ex Machina - Very good! Well done and thought-provoking. Sort of Bladerunner -ish in concept but without all the darkness and violence. (There was actually only 1 violent scene...how refreshing.)

Dimensions - Awful! I was so disappointed...I really liked the premise but it was slow and hokey.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Lighthead - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 07:31 PM)Monica Wrote:
(06-21-2015, 03:23 AM)Lighthead Wrote: I just saw this movie. I thought it was excellent...highly recommended. One of the best movies I've seen, ever. Gone Girl.

What did you like about it?

It's basically a psychological thriller. Being an artist, I liked the artistry of it. To be honest, I don't want to spoil it for someone who wants to watch it since there are a lot of plot twists. I found it interesting that one of the main things I liked was the music (the score). I thought that it sounded really dreamlike at times and helped you get a feel for the "unreality" of it, even though what happens in the movie is something that can very well happen in real life. 

I thought that Rosamund Pike (the lead actress) was the absolute scene stealer of the movie considering that Ben Affleck has the most name recognition. The movie has a detached element that is characteristic of David Fincher's (the director) movies. One of his first movies was The Game. That was a psychological drama that was also excellent.

It really just is a great movie. I can definitely see Fincher's growth as a filmmaker over the years.

I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe there are already some here, but does anyone recommend a good time-travel or alternate-reality flick? One without too much gratuitous violence. I like movies about alternate realities, other dimensions, etc. Like The Matrix but without all the violence. Some that come to mind are What Dreams May Come, The Butterfly Effect, The 13th Floor...

I don't keep up with movies much so I've probably missed a lot of good ones.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - AnthroHeart - 06-24-2015

(06-24-2015, 08:19 PM)Monica Wrote: I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe there are already some here, but does anyone recommend a good time-travel or alternate-reality flick? One without too much gratuitous violence. I like movies about alternate realities, other dimensions, etc. Like The Matrix but without all the violence. Some that come to mind are What Dreams May Come, The Butterfly Effect, The 13th Floor...

Project Almanac

(06-24-2015, 08:27 PM)IndigoGeminiWolf Wrote: Project Almanac

That looks like fun...sort of a Back to the Future romp?

(06-24-2015, 08:19 PM)Monica Wrote: I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe there are already some here, but does anyone recommend a good time-travel or alternate-reality flick? One without too much gratuitous violence. I like movies about alternate realities, other dimensions, etc. Like The Matrix but without all the violence. Some that come to mind are What Dreams May Come, The Butterfly Effect, The 13th Floor...

Somewhere in Time is actually a very good and very romantic time travel movie. It's even quite sad. It stars Christopher Reeve. It's an oldie, but goodie. I just googled it. I think it's from 1979.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Minyatur - 06-24-2015

It's not a movie but Doctor Who.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - native - 06-24-2015

You've seen Memento right? The movie revolves around a husband trying to figure out who killed his wife, so the theme is dark, but there are only two violent scenes that I can remember. A great movie that I think carries an entirely spiritual message. Lots of nudges about remembering who we are..especially the poignant line at the end.

(06-24-2015, 10:44 PM)Icaro Wrote: You've seen Memento right? The movie revolves around a husband trying to figure out who killed his wife, so the theme is dark, but there are only two violent scenes that I can remember. A great movie that I think carries an entirely spiritual message. Lots of nudges about remembering who we are..especially the poignant line at the end.

I notice that the greatest movies have elements of mysticism in them. 6th density stuff as Q'uo would say if they were human. V for Vendetta is that type of movie. But I'm not an expert in it so don't ask me to quote from it.

I just notice that "mystical" movies have the lead character speaking in "riddles" that have a deeper significance to them. But Memento is much less mainstream a movie than V for Vendetta.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - APeacefulWarrior - 06-25-2015

Have you seen "Predestination"? It came out a year or two ago and is a REALLY nifty adaptation of one of Heinlein's wilder time-travel-paradox stories. You might also like "Primer," if you haven't seen it, but the plot is so twisty and paradox-laden that one literally has to watch it 2-3 times to hope to work out WTF is going on. 12 Monkeys is another good one along similar lines. (The original movie; I haven't seen the new TV show.)

Also, speaking of the Matrix, anyone who hasn't seen it should be rushing out to watch Cloud Atlas, which was co-directed by the Wachowskis and Tom Twyker. There's relatively little violence (although a bit) and it's almost certain to resonate philosophically with anyone who's hanging around here. I personally think it's one of the single best films made in the last decade, although it's "high-minded" enough that a lot of people didn't get it. (Or didn't want to.)

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Plenum - 06-25-2015

this was just a minor tangent, but I'm sure other's have opinions on Doctor Who as well.

Posts Split

Thus passes the Plenum, Slicer of Threads... Wink

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Bluebell - 06-25-2015

eXistenZ

it's on utube. everyone watch it.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - third-density-being - 06-25-2015

Hello Dear APeacefulWarrior,

(06-24-2015, 01:52 AM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: Thanks for the recommendation!  I love digging up old weird cult movies like this.  So I went and watched it.

If You like older movies, I can also recommend You movie that was mentioned in The Law of One: Battle Beyond The Stars (1980). It is most likely that You’ve already seen this one, but if not, give it a try.

(06-24-2015, 01:52 AM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: I'm honestly not sure why people said it was incomprehensible.  The plot laid out everything that was happening.   I think it may be that the scenario was so weird that people just couldn't take the movie's own internal mythology at face value.  It did leave a lot of unanswered questions, tho, like who the council was that backed Lance Henricksen (has he ever NOT looked creepy?) or what exact relationship the housekeeper had with John Huston.  

Same here. For me storyline was clear and I’ve followed the plot effortlessly.

Regarding Lance Henricksen – yep, this guy gave me shivers Smile It is true it is not clearly stated in the movie, but in the review it is said, that this Gentleman was a Leader of a group of wealthy and powerful Beings, whom were making sure, that in each generation there would be descendant of an “ancient, evil force” (Being named Zatteen) that arrived on Earth many, many years ago (hundreds I presume, if not more).
Housekeeper was a “Protector” or ‘Guardian” if You will, but of Earth origins. She was portrait as – I permit my-Self for comparison to the Law of One – Being strongly polarized toward Service-to-Others. She also was able to experience reality on deeper level (i.e. She “saw” what the girl really was).

(06-24-2015, 01:52 AM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: I thought that visuals were often amazing, especially for what was clearly a pretty low-budget affair.  That opening shot of the two figures and the sandstorm rolling in was absolutely stunning, and I was impressed at how well the director worked with light.  Like you, I definitely saw bits of that (especially the light ships at the end) to feel a lot like the LOO cosmology.

I’m Glad You had similar experiences with this movie as I did. Opening scene with “meeting of two Beings” is quite memorable and as I wrote before, it reminds me (or I interpreted it as) “an attempt to portrait meeting of two fifth-density Beings”.

In a topic of “light work”, for me most “successful” scene in that regard was moment, when Barbara were took from Her car and abused (impregnated). It was amazing, how first You could see regular street with all “regular” surroundings, and than everything changed drastically when Her abusers appear next to the truck – at this point You could hear the steps of those People and You felt like an entire action was moved to totally different place (reality even).

Regarding the ending – when Visitor was “calling for His “People”” and waiting for the craft(s), at first He made two or three unsuccessful attempts. I remember thinking at that time that there are some things yet to be done, before They could arrive/manifest at/within “regular reality”.
You can connect it to a Work of a Seeker – for example Seeker is patiently and systematically working, seeking and being honest/faithful with His/Her Understanding and Feelings for a long time.At some point He/She thinks that an “adepthood” was already achieved and He/She is expecting “something” – i.e. communication, unnatural sign, manifestation itself, etc. But for some reason His/Her expectations are not met and at time/situation like that it is crucial for Seeker to stand by His/Her Understanding/Feelings/Beliefs, despite of “disappointed expectations”/frustration – exactly how “Visitor” done, although He “knew”, and most Seekers are “seeking such Knowing”.

(06-24-2015, 01:52 AM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: Mostly, I wish they had spent more time dealing with the sci-fi stuff and less time rehashing The Exorcist, The Omen, and Rosemary's Baby.  The main thing that held the movie back, I thought, was too much obvious borrowing from films of the last few years.

That’s true, but I’ve watched “Omen” so long ago, I almost totally forget it, so it wasn’t an issue for me Smile
But I agree, that there’s so few “ambitious Sci-Fi” :/

(06-24-2015, 01:52 AM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: On a related note, have you ever seen the Sun Ra movie "Space is the Place"?  It's got quite a bit in common with this thematically, even if they go off in two different directions.  It's another low-budget 70s scifi that more fans of weird films should see.   Plus, the cosmology is VERY LOO-esque. Just as a mild warning, however, it's very deep in black nationalist politics from that time, which might be off-putting to some viewers.  I don't think that should distract too much from the messages Sun Ra is putting forward, though, even if he hadn't yet entirely worked through his younger, more militant race theory days.

Thank You for recommending Sun Ra movie – I’ll definitely watch it, although based on the IMDB description, it seems to be sort of a satire. Is it correct?

All I have Best in me for You

(06-25-2015, 11:39 AM)third-density-being Wrote: If You like older movies, I can also recommend You movie that was mentioned in The Law of One: Battle Beyond The Stars (1980). It is most likely that You’ve already seen this one, but if not, give it a try.

Oh yeah, the best movie Corman ever produced. Also, the movie that gave James Cameron his first big break! (And one of James Horner's first scores... *sigh*)

Another thing I thought was interesting about The Visitor is how prominently feature video games were in it, but almost always in a sort of creepy way. They feel intrusive and alien, especially that giant pong setup she had going. The shots of her with the ball bouncing on the wall behind her were really offputting, somehow.

Then again, the space-disco score was just plain intrusive. The rest of the sound design was really good, but the rock bits seemed out of place, and not in a good way.

Quote:Thank You for recommending Sun Ra movie – I’ll definitely watch it, although based on the IMDB description, it seems to be sort of a satire. Is it correct?

It's... hard to say. Sun Ra was reeaaaalllly out there. Parts of it are funny, but on the whole, I'd class it as more 'commentary' or 'allegory' than 'satire.' Personally, I tend to think Sun Ra was a Wanderer, one who remembered himself so well that he only barely even functioned on an everyday human level.

But since no one was ever entirely sure when Sun Ra was actually joking or not, well, it's largely a matter of opinion.

Just as an aside, there are two versions of Space Is The Place, a heavily stripped down 65ish minute version, and one that's about 20 minutes longer. The longer version is by far the superior of the two.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - native - 06-25-2015

(06-24-2015, 11:04 PM)Lighthead Wrote: I just notice that "mystical" movies have the lead character speaking in "riddles" that have a deeper significance to them. But Memento is much less mainstream a movie than V for Vendetta.

Yeah that tends to be the case. I've never gotten around to watching V for Vendetta.

Monica - There's also The Adjustment Bureau, which is about free will and causality..some gnostic nudges as well in that one. Then of course 12 Monkeys which deals with time-travel, and a movie called The Jacket with Adrien Brody who travels back in time.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Lighthead - 06-25-2015

(06-25-2015, 01:16 PM)Icaro Wrote:
(06-24-2015, 11:04 PM)Lighthead Wrote: I just notice that "mystical" movies have the lead character speaking in "riddles" that have a deeper significance to them. But Memento is much less mainstream a movie than V for Vendetta.

Yeah that tends to be the case. I've never gotten around to watching V for Vendetta.

Monica - There's also The Adjustment Bureau, which is about free will and causality..some gnostic nudges as well in that one. Then of course 12 Monkeys which deals with time-travel, and a movie called The Jacket with Adrien Brody who travels back in time.

12 Monkeys is excellent!

RE: what movie did you last watch? - native - 06-25-2015

They made a series out of it! Haven't seen it yet.

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Namaste - 06-25-2015

Ex Machina was indeed excellent Monica. Highly recommended.

As are...

- Her
- The Fall
- Grand Budapest Hotel
- Samsara
- Baraka

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Namaste - 06-25-2015

I also watched 2001: A Space Odyssey again recently.

Amazing. It's basically what the Law of One states; ET intervention aiding the evolution of consciousness.

Ape to man (2D to 3D), then man to star child (3D to 4D).

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Spaced - 06-25-2015

Anyone mention Dark City yet?

RE: what movie did you last watch? - Bluebell - 06-25-2015

which one?