Bring4th

Full Version: Paid Internet Trolls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
i understand. there was a time when i got that feeling about gemini wolf...thought he was getting paid every time he mentioned anthros lol. but i got over that.

(10-01-2012, 01:13 PM)Spaced Wrote: [ -> ]I hope you guys don't mind but I just got a contract and now I get $50 every time I mention Doritos on Bring4th.
Lol! Definitely not Gemini Wolf!
I'm willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt 99% of the time, because personalities are so different and there are people who believe anything and everything.

I don't see how this forum would attract much paid trolling. There isn't much "actionable intel" here, if you know what I mean -- most outsiders would look at what we discuss and probably write us off as loons.

I do think our energy could attract something else -- a negative, possibly angry person who wants to usher people away from truth-seeking and buy into their specific take on reality. ("Account1" comes to mind.)
It's hard to tell a lot of times. We all live so very very different lives. So many right answers are the wrong answers to others. It's all relative and it makes me wonder pretty often what the "point" really is.
(03-10-2015, 09:24 PM)Shemaya Wrote: [ -> ]I've been watching and participating in Bring4th for several years.  I definitely think there has been a string of paid Internet trolls that participate in these forums.  What do others think?

Yes of course, it would be very strange if that wasn't happening here. All forums of any matter have this. Part of the dance, and I think it's fairly easy to see through RollEyes I just try not to give it much energy.
(03-11-2015, 04:11 PM)seven Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2015, 09:24 PM)Shemaya Wrote: [ -> ]I've been watching and participating in Bring4th for several years.  I definitely think there has been a string of paid Internet trolls that participate in these forums.  What do others think?

Yes of course, it would be very strange if that wasn't happening here. All forums of any matter have this. Part of the dance, and I think it's fairly easy to see through RollEyes I just try not to give it much energy.

That's a good idea, just be aware, and not give it much attention.
I think boredom instigates trolling far more than monetary compensation. I know a guy who used to get on forums like this one and troll simply because it amused him- a toy he could play with. A desire for attention can lead to such behavior as well. Internet forums create the type of social atmosphere where both these qualities can be readily indulged with little personal consequence, and therefore they are fertile breeding grounds for infantile behavior. I can't imagine anyone paying money for something that's already so prevalent.

Beyond that, I think garden variety personality distortions and miscommunications are far more common than decided attempts at trolling, at least here. It's much harder to convey one's true intentions via computer screen than it is talking face-to-face. It's super easy for someone who genuinely means well to come off as a dick, or for a comment to take on hurtful undertones that weren't intended. It's harder to achieve the sense of natural empathy that tends to knit differences in personality together in person.

The best way to deal with trolls, in my opinion, is to simply cut off their fuel source and let them burn themselves out, though I've been guilty of feeding those flames in the past. It is a humbling experience to step back and realize you were valiantly defending your opinion to someone whose only intention was to mock you. In their own way trolls provide a service because they teach us to not take ourselves too seriously.
Quote:Beyond that, I think garden variety personality distortions and miscommunications are far more common than decided attempts at trolling, at least here. It's much harder to convey one's true intentions via computer screen than it is talking face-to-face. It's super easy for someone who genuinely means well to come off as a dick, or for a comment to take on hurtful undertones that weren't intended. It's harder to achieve the sense of natural empathy that tends to knit differences in personality together in person. 

I agree with you.  On the other hand, the situation on-line creates an energetic space that is useful to recognize your own personal triggers and catalysts.  Because there is less intensity than personal interactions in real life, there is opportunity for real self- examination, asking questions like why does that bother me, what am I feeling, how do I choose to respond.   Then again it can be an escape from dealing with these questions in real life. And it is definitely less risky  than some situations in real life.

I do think there is a fairly frequent appearance of paid trolls though.  Making a living sitting at the computer and messing with people is an easy way to earn money, and allows expression of those infantile behaviors you referred to.  And there are definitely people interested in paying people to do that, there are people highly invested in keeping humanity in spiritual chains. (Archetype 15)
Why not just suggest such a reality and let people get paranoid about it without having to do any work at all? The lack of trust incited between individuals would be far more potent than a blatant attempt at misdirection. Most people with a modicum of maturity can recognize and reject trolling, but the IDEA of an ulterior motive in that trolling is far more insidious. Stupid comments become a demonic conspiracy theory! In other words, the seeds of fear planted in what would otherwise be a mere annoyance.

I wouldn't doubt that the person who wrote the article this thread is based on is, in fact, a troll.
Shemaya & seven are paid trolls.

whatever you do,
DON'T. FEED. THEM.
(03-14-2015, 02:56 PM)isis Wrote: [ -> ]Shemaya & seven are paid trolls.

whatever you do,
DON'T. FEED. THEM.

Lol !

Dang it, you are on to me.   Tongue
(03-14-2015, 02:35 PM)Yera Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just suggest such a reality and let people get paranoid about it without having to do any work at all? The lack of trust incited between individuals would be far more potent than a blatant attempt at misdirection. Most people with a modicum of maturity can recognize and reject trolling, but the IDEA of an ulterior motive in that trolling is far more insidious. Stupid comments become a demonic conspiracy theory! In other words, the seeds of fear planted in what would otherwise be a mere annoyance.

I wouldn't doubt that the person who wrote the article this thread is based on is, in fact, a troll.

Yeah, likely, highly possible.( ie. Underlined)

Encountering the fear such ideas incite is helpful in working through and facing fear, I think.  What are we afraid of?  

As far as lack of trust, unless you develop real relationships with members of the forum, it is not really that relevant. Trust is really important to people in real relationships, with people you are just acquainted with on the Internet, not so important.

That being said, I trust that almost all the people I encountered here are genuine.  
There doesn't have to be a fear element to it, just more of a light shone on a dark place.

I think it's definitely both sides. There are most definitely people who are trolls who do it just because they get a rise out of people. I also think it's possible that there are people who are getting paid to post about specific agendas. In one of those OPs it was suggested the money came from anonymous super pacts that people funnel money through during election time. I mean, we're talking BILLIONS of dollars. The idea that some of that money is being spent paying people meager wages in an attempt to control the flow of information in informal social settings? I don't say it to incite fear, but more of a broad picture of possible scenarios.

I used to post at one of the top 5-10 trafficked forums at the early part of the century (an MMO gaming forum). They had a off topic section that was primarily political in nature, and there were three trolls in particular who were very dedicated, but one specifically. They almost *exclusively* posted in the political section of the 100+ forums on the site, and their primary topic? Defending and positive-spinning any and all conservative media talking points. One in particular was so dedicated, that if someone were to find a word count of his posts and calculate with an average typing speed the amount of time he was spending making posts, he almost HAD to be doing it as a full time job.

Anyway, there are all sorts of trolls out there, the idea that some may be getting paid is definitely not out of the realm of possibility in my reality. I think the important lesson is to detach ourselves from the importance we put on the opinions of others in 3D, especially the lone negative voice in a sea of positive. We usually give that voice waaay too much power.
remember this?

(10-15-2014, 05:06 PM)Jade Wrote: [ -> ]I think A1's last post was when he realized he'd been trolled by the other A1.

lol
Pages: 1 2 3