Is there a such thing as "good karma"?
03-16-2020, 12:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-16-2020, 12:14 PM by EvolvingPhoenix.)
Is there a such thing as "good karma"?
So I was reading a post on Reddit by someone practicing semen retention. In his post, he makes the asinine assertion "I know that by doing it (retaining semen) I am building good karma"

I thought this statement was quite dumb.

Still, it got me thinking about the many misconceptions surrounding karma and then caused me to wonder just how well my own grasp of the subject is by this point.

In the past, my grasp has been quite poor. To this day, I believe I still have yet to fully grasp it enough that I would be confident trying to set peoples' misconceptions right in cases such as these.

I found myself wondering "Just what the hell even is 'good karma' anyway, and does such a thing exist?"

My best current understanding of karma is that it is luke a "case file" where you explore certain themes until ypu reach a point of forgiveness which shows you that neither you nor the self seen in another-self are deserving of mistreatment and nobody is to blame for anything. But I realize my grasp of karma is still far from expertive. I just also realize a lot of other peoples' misconceptions are at this point even MORE misguided.

So I'm sitting here wondering to myself: "what even IS good karma? Does it actually exist?"

I haven't reallt heard of people creating karmic UPWARD spirals. I feel like upward spirals seem more like the NATURAL CONSEQUENCE od healing yourself and getting out of your ego.

But I dunno. Does anybody have any perspective you can provide on the matter?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2020, 12:50 PM,
RE: Is there a such thing as "good karma"?
In Buddhism I believe you build good karma by following the Dharma, or the teachings of Buddha.

Doubt everything. Find your own light. - Buddha
https://www.intentionrepeater.com
03-16-2020, 01:59 PM,
Yeah, but...

Bhuddhism seems to get it wrong. Not sure what getting it right is, but I can tell it ain't their view on the matter.
03-16-2020, 02:46 PM,
I understand karma as a kind of conditioning.

dion fortune says karma is the same thing as destiny in her book about Qaballah. if that makes it a little bit clearer. they're the same thing, however one is an eastern interpretation and the other is western. from how i understand it

if you've had troubles with addiction, you know what "bad karma" is. it's when you keep doing the same negative action (sowing,) and that result of those actions (reaping.)

you reap what you sow. karma is basically that old cliche in a word. it's your actions and their consequences.

so, on the other side of the coin, good karma is one's positive actions and the result of those actions.

i don't have enough understanding of karma to be able to relate it to STS/STO polarities but there might be something there... idk

hope that helps a little bit. just my humble view
03-16-2020, 03:20 PM,
Hmm. More useful than what I usually see, that's for surw.
03-16-2020, 03:43 PM,
I just remembered something: Reaper saying after our last lifetime we knew each other, she decided to get away from her life in Europe and incarnate for a programmed life of Bhuddhist seeking in the far East. Violence always made it's way to her. I woukd say that understanding of karma is probably, at best, limited.
03-16-2020, 06:16 PM,
yes i believe karma is one of those things that we can conceptualize all we want but ultimately, like many things, we won't know it fully in 3d
The following 2 users Like sillypumpkins's post:
Black Dragon, flofrog
03-16-2020, 09:41 PM,
Ra's description of karma as inertia is a good one I think. In that sense there is no such thing as good karma, rather, the desired result is the neutralization of motion put into action by way of forgiveness/acceptance.

Here's a good link https://oneminddharma.com/what-is-karma/
The following 3 users Like native's post:
flofrog, Luigi, sillypumpkins
03-17-2020, 11:47 PM,
From what I have gathered, the 'traditional' view of karma (in buddhism and hinduism which is where the idea comes from, it would have been hinduism before buddhism since it existed first) it is similar to the idea of destiny like Dion Fortune mentions, but it is only 'relevant' in between lives. It was considered basically a 'sum of all your actions' that was 'calculated' in between lives and essentially the choices and actions you make in each life set the tone or theme for the next life. Thus, it wasn't that an action lead to an equivalent karma in some other life, but rather the direction taken by your choices established your future patterns.

Gautama Buddha discovered that this cyclical nature of reincarnation was due to the ways in which choices are made unconsciously, repeating things without any change in choice. Thus, he termed this karmic cycle as Samsara, the illusion. The idea inherent in Buddhism is that this cycle can be broken and the mind freed from its own cyclical repetition of action, entering in to an awareness of the choice and its place in reality.

There is another version of karma in buddhism though which is what most people think of, karma niyama, or the laws of moral causation. This is what people are usually thinking of when they talk about karma. It is more like a natural law.

https://www.learnreligions.com/the-five-niyamas-449741

"Kamma, or karma in Sanskrit, is the law of moral causation. All of our volitional thoughts, words, and deeds create an energy that brings about effects and that process is called karma.

The important point here is that Kamma Niyama is a kind of natural law like gravity that operates without having to be directed by a divine intelligence. In Buddhism, karma is not a cosmic criminal justice system, and no supernatural force or God is directing it to reward the good and punish the wicked.

Karma is, rather, a natural tendency for skillful (kushala) actions to create beneficial effects, and unskillful (akushala) actions to create harmful or painful effects."
Every path in life circles to the center.
The following 3 users Like Aion's post:
Black Dragon, EvolvingPhoenix, flofrog
03-18-2020, 07:43 PM,
Thank you Aion. That was quite helpful!
03-19-2020, 02:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-19-2020, 02:44 AM by Black Dragon.)
Positive actions and intents create a positive redounding effect for sure, because what you do or give to others you ultimately do/give unto yourself too. If Reddit guy is doing some sort of positive energy work with which he is deliberately drawing on extra energy by conserving semen for some actual purpose(which I kind of doubt), maybe he really is creating "good karma", but it sounds like he's just some dude who bought into some new age sheepy-sheep stuff and randomly thinks arbitrary self-denial is automatically "super mega STO" and retaining his "lowly" 3d seed gets him some sort of good karma brownie points...in which case, he's quite FULL OF JIZZ!  Angel  Big Grin  Tongue
The following 1 user Likes Black Dragon's post:
EvolvingPhoenix
03-19-2020, 05:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-19-2020, 01:49 PM by Black Dragon.)
https://kapwi.ng/c/TMfcEz3w

Refrain from fappin', become a cap'n!

This site will just not embed certain stuff easily. While I'm up late, I decided this needs its own meme, and I think I made a doozie, a real zinger if you will  Big Grin ...follow the link if you aren't put off by a little immature humor...gotta tickle myself to laugh sometimes in this messed up life.