Bring4th

Full Version: Why I am a Vegan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(08-03-2017, 06:19 AM)MangusKhan Wrote: [ -> ]I just found a video on youtube which is simply fascinating. This highly intelligent and incredibly disciplined man, who holds a deadlift record, eats only a single vegan meal per day. He goes very in depth with the theory behind his lifestyle, and personally I find him completely inspiring. If you have 30min to spare you might wish to give it a look.

This video was fantastic. Thank you so much for posting it!
So I actually found a great bulk supplier of tempeh a little North of me. They make theirs the traditional way whatever that means. Here is an explanation from their site.

How is your tempeh different than commercial tempeh?
The way beans are dried after cooking is probably the most significant difference between factory made tempeh and traditional tempeh. The factory uses a centrifuge while the traditional shop like ours uses air to dry the beans. Air drying is slower but allows for a better drying and introduces certain beneficial bacteria that improve the quality of the final product just like with sourdough bread. It has been found that these bacteria are responsible for the B-vitamins in traditional tempeh which are absent in the commercial variety.

Here is how he learned about tempeh which is intriguing

The Tempeh Shop was founded by Jose Caraballo. Here's his story:

I first tried tempeh back in the 70's at "The Farm" a spiritual-vegetarian community in Tennessee. I got some starter and basic instructions there. Then when I moved to Gainesville I started making it for my family and friends, but as more people tried it, I had no choice but to keep increasing production. And that's how I became over the years "the local tempeh maker". I have been making tempeh for the last 30 years.

In 2006, Jose's son, Damian, began working with the family business and became intrigued by the fermentation process and the uniqueness of tempeh. He decided to learn more about the science behind food and the food industry and in 2013, Damian was awarded a degree in Food Science and Human Nutrition with a minor in Business Administration from the University of Florida.

In 2007, The Tempeh Shop became certified organic, making it the first - and only - certified organic tempeh maker in all of the southern United States. We continue to uphold the tradition and highest standards of the Organic

The best part is that we can order 12lb packages that have 1lb individually wrapped portions for only $65. This comes out to a $35/week compared to the grocery store.

The next step is to see if we can stomach this stuff lol. We bought one pack of lightlife original and we'll go from there

Hey this Farm place looks pretty cool!

http://www.thefarm.org
(08-03-2017, 06:19 AM)MangusKhan Wrote: [ -> ]I just found a video on youtube which is simply fascinating. This highly intelligent and incredibly disciplined man, who holds a deadlift record, eats only a single vegan meal per day. He goes very in depth with the theory behind his lifestyle, and personally I find him completely inspiring.

There's a number of 'debunking' videos about Nun Amen-Ra (or his diet) on YouTube, but they don't seem too substantiated to me, without having gone into details - one serious problem seems to be, however - or so I have been told by someone who knows a bit more about these kind of specific 'diets' than me - that his suggested caloric intake is much too low at 1.250 cal/day. Other than that, his 'secret' seems to be a combination of veganism, OMAD (One Meal A Day) and CRON (Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition), whether that makes sense or not. Might not be for everyone.

Talking about Vegan Athletes, I was also given this link: The Vegan Gym - Online Training fro Vegan Athletes. Haven't checked it out myself.

P.S. Love (organic) tempeh!
Quote:Why I am a Vegan

Because eating meat or animal products of any kind makes me physically ill to an extent and duration directly related to the mass of said products consumed.
(08-06-2017, 02:29 PM)Nía Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2017, 06:19 AM)MangusKhan Wrote: [ -> ]I just found a video on youtube which is simply fascinating. This highly intelligent and incredibly disciplined man, who holds a deadlift record, eats only a single vegan meal per day. He goes very in depth with the theory behind his lifestyle, and personally I find him completely inspiring.

There's a number of 'debunking' videos about Nun Amen-Ra (or his diet) on YouTube, but they don't seem too substantiated to me, without having gone into details - one serious problem seems to be, however - or so I have been told by someone who knows a bit more about these kind of specific 'diets' than me - that his suggested caloric intake is much too low at 1.250 cal/day. Other than that, his 'secret' seems to be a combination of veganism, OMAD (One Meal A Day) and CRON (Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition), whether that makes sense or not. Might not be for everyone.

Talking about Vegan Athletes, I was also given this link: The Vegan Gym - Online Training fro Vegan Athletes. Haven't checked it out myself.

P.S. Love (organic) tempeh!

I humour the thought that this guy may be integrating light energy without even knowing it. Meditation is a significant part of his regime. Common sense denotes that one does not become a swollen powerlifter by eating the amount of food which he does.

Perhaps he is some kind of con-artist, I can't say.
(08-06-2017, 02:29 PM)Nía Wrote: [ -> ]There's a number of 'debunking' videos about Nun Amen-Ra (or his diet) on YouTube, but they don't seem too substantiated to me, without having gone into details - one serious problem seems to be, however - or so I have been told by someone who knows a bit more about these kind of specific 'diets' than me - that his suggested caloric intake is much too low at 1.250 cal/day.

I can tell you that calorie restriction is one of the few (or possibly the only) laboratory-proven ways to significantly extend life. Aubrey de Grey has pioneered this work. Here he is in a TedTalk:

(08-06-2017, 10:26 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]I can tell you that calorie restriction is one of the few (or possibly the only) laboratory-proven ways to significantly extend life. Aubrey de Grey has pioneered this work. Here he is in a TedTalk:

I am absolutely blown away. This man is absurdly brilliant, and whatever disagreement I have with him can only be: "It feels wrong." I have never been so unable to intellectually formulate an argument against a position. Yet still, inconceivably, I feel myself in opposition of his stance. Leading me to believe that perhaps the deeper purpose he is serving is to erode the dependence of the Self on the mind.
(08-06-2017, 10:26 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]I can tell you that calorie restriction is one of the few (or possibly the only) laboratory-proven ways to significantly extend life. Aubrey de Grey has pioneered this work. Here he is in a TedTalk:

I did some research on this, and it turns out that calorie restriction works really well in short-lived species (nemotodes; fruit flies), and less well in long-lived species (like humans).
(08-07-2017, 12:52 AM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]I did some research on this, and it turns out that calorie restriction works really well in short-lived species (nemotodes; fruit flies), and less well in long-lived species (like humans).

I think it's not even about calorie restriction in general, as far as I'm aware that does seem to work, at least to some extent, or at least for some people, just like, for example, intermittent fasting can be very effective - even for healing purposes - but doesn't seem to be for everyone. The issue in question with Nun Amen-Ra is that the amount of restricted calories he's suggesting is dangerously low - at least for other people. I don't know anything about how, or even if at all, he does it himself. Just below a certain point, calorie restriction is obviously dangerous.

-`ღ´-
Simply because I just got that recipe, never tried them myself:

Protein-Loaded Veggie Burgers That Can Be Ready in Under 20 Minutes

P.S. You might want to make sure the quinoa you're using is organic and fair trade, as there have been numerous human rights issues been reported with conventional quinoa.
(08-06-2017, 11:04 PM)sjel Wrote: [ -> ]I am absolutely blown away. This man is absurdly brilliant, and whatever disagreement I have with him can only be: "It feels wrong." I have never been so unable to intellectually formulate an argument against a position. Yet still, inconceivably, I feel myself in opposition of his stance. Leading me to believe that perhaps the deeper purpose he is serving is to erode the dependence of the Self on the mind.

What is almost always misunderstood about de Grey's mission, and I don't know if this is part of what you are feeling, is that it is not about not dying, it is about ending human suffering. Old age in humans is a horrendous experience. As Betty Davis once said, "Old age ain't no place for sissies." Recall how much Carla suffered. Life extension is already being done and is inevitable. Perhaps the mind must open to the idea. Beliefs matter. I don't think it's about trying to hang onto this current vehicle one may have; it's about being healthy and vital while one does have it.

One caveat: I don't ever agree to use animals such as mice for any experimentation. We should use ourselves only, our own cells, and computer models.
(08-07-2017, 04:36 AM)Nía Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's not even about calorie restriction in general, as far as I'm aware that does seem to work, at least to some extent, or at least for some people, just like, for example, intermittent fasting can be very effective - even for healing purposes - but doesn't seem to be for everyone. The issue in question with Nun Amen-Ra is that the amount of restricted calories he's suggesting is dangerously low - at least for other people. I don't know anything about how, or even if at all, he does it himself. Just below a certain point, calorie restriction is obviously dangerous.

-`ღ´-

It is difficult to judge, as, the physiology of the human body is part of who we are at this moment. However, biologists have almost no understanding of metabolism for example. So any authority is questionable. One can take the same information Nun Amen-Ra has regarding life extension (which is really about optimizing the body's functions), and come up with one's own ideas of how to implement them. Smile
Dogs have about 160 million neurons in their brains, cats have about 300 million. Red jungle fowl, the ancestor of the domestic chicken, has 230 million. A raven has 2.1 billion. A macaw has 3.1 billion. By weight, this is more than primates.

http://gizmodo.com/we-finally-know-why-b...1781889157
So we tried breaded tempeh last night. Well, it's pretty bland by itself and maybe I didn't add enough spices and flavoring to the flour. We used breadcrumbs also and it was ok. It actually tasted like a corndog once you rolled it in a combo of ketchup and mustard lol. I also added some horseradish cream to give it a kick.

We will try some marinade recipes to see if we can get it to taste less bland with our having to douse it with sauces
Do you find that you need supplements?

I haven't needed anything at all honestly, except I get an occasional intuitive sense to take a B-complex and I feel replenished. Funny because when I ate meat, and especially when I was eating eggs, I took an absurd amount of vitamins.
The only time I feel the need for a supplement and/or special herbs is when I'm out of balance for some reason, usually due to stress. I combine supplements then with other things such as stretching, exercise, and vigilance in thought patterns. Other than "need," I do take certain supplements/herbs to optimize or enhance brain function for example, but it's sporadic.
(08-16-2017, 05:46 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]The only time I feel the need for a supplement and/or special herbs is when I'm out of balance for some reason, usually due to stress. I combine supplements then with other things such as stretching, exercise, and vigilance in thought patterns. Other than "need," I do take certain supplements/herbs to optimize or enhance brain function for example, but it's sporadic.

What do you take for brain function enhancement? I'm into that as well though not as much anymore

I always thought Vegemite was a natural vegan source of B12, but I just discovered that it is not.  Are there any natural vegan sources of B12 without supplementation?

(08-16-2017, 07:25 PM)sjel Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-16-2017, 05:46 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]The only time I feel the need for a supplement and/or special herbs is when I'm out of balance for some reason, usually due to stress. I combine supplements then with other things such as stretching, exercise, and vigilance in thought patterns. Other than "need," I do take certain supplements/herbs to optimize or enhance brain function for example, but it's sporadic.

What do you take for brain function enhancement? I'm into that as well though not as much anymore

My brain is great. However, I do work a lot, and I have more than one business, in which I have to do a lot of creating. I like to be "on my game" as much as possible. At the moment, I have been taking Host Defense Myco Botanicals BRAIN. 
(08-16-2017, 07:25 PM)Patrick Wrote: [ -> ] 
I always thought Vegemite was a natural vegan source of B12, but I just discovered that it is not.  Are there any natural vegan sources of B12 without supplementation?

Marmite has b12. Also, nutritional yeast has b12. B12 is synthesized through bacteria in the soil, so eating unwashed veggies freshly harvested will get you b12 too. Smile
(08-16-2017, 11:09 PM)Bring4th_Jade Wrote: [ -> ]Marmite has b12. Also, nutritional yeast has b12. B12 is synthesized through bacteria in the soil, so eating unwashed veggies freshly harvested will get you b12 too. Smile

I would always suggest supplementing B12, at least as a periodical regimen to replenish your reserves, as it can be stored in the body for up to seven years, I believe, because a deficit in B12 (equally relevant to meat eaters) will have serious negative effects, especially on neuronal functioning.  This is the only supplement I'm taking in relation to veganism, however (some more for balanding depression and trauma effects).

-`ღ´-
I just always have nutritional yeast in my fridge, and add it to a lot of stuff. It's super healthy and loaded with protein, too. Currently I am obsessed with this recipe so I'm set. Smile

http://veganyumminess.com/creamy-vegan-mac-and-cheese/
(08-17-2017, 09:06 AM)Bring4th_Jade Wrote: [ -> ]I just always have nutritional yeast in my fridge, and add it to a lot of stuff. It's super healthy and loaded with protein, too. Currently I am obsessed with this recipe so I'm set. Smile

http://veganyumminess.com/creamy-vegan-mac-and-cheese/

I am definitely going to try this, i havn't even thought of a vegan alternative to mac and cheese because i thought cheese was so important to the dish - the sauce in this recipe sounds really interesting and tasty. 
I make it as labeled (except I make a quadruple batch, and I add double the garlic powder) - and then I usually add a few tablespoons of miso paste (in the large batch). Amazing. Seriously been a staple for about a month now. Smile

There are some good vegan boxed mac and cheese out there for substitute, but this cheese sauce, I use it for everything and it's sooo satisfying.
Daiya has a great boxed Mac-n-Cheese, which can be found in some grocery stores.

And Miyoko's Kitchen has the most amazing, delicious nut cheeses. You won't believe how good they are:

http://miyokoskitchen.com/products-miyoko/
Btw, Forager's Vegan Cashewmilk Yogurt is amazing - though it's sour if its brand new (like buttermilk), as it gets close to the sell by date it tastes soooooo good and so not sour. You can find it in whole foods and other places. Honestly, it takes exactly like buttermilk (or normal liquidy yogurt once it ages).
(08-17-2017, 01:51 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]Daiya has a great boxed Mac-n-Cheese, which can be found in some grocery stores.

And Miyoko's Kitchen has the most amazing, delicious nut cheeses. You won't believe how good they are:

I'm going to check out my local grocery store to see if they carry the Daiya products, because after looking up Jade's mac and cheese recipe I am craving the freaking stuff and won't be able to attempt to make it until next week. 

Do you order that cheese online? I think I remember you posted this quite a while back and said you do order it? I doubt any stores in my area will carry it.
My local store stopped carrying Miyoko's, sadly. I've been craving it for sure. I really enjoy Follow Your Heart brand cheese too as something that I can just buy on the shelves and munch straight out of the package, like real cheese!

Daiya plain cheese is not my favorite. Their mac and cheese is slightly different. However, if that's your only option, making mac and cheese with Daiya isn't terrible! Daiya is just probably my least favorite vegan cheese brand. But, nobody does melty (yet!) quite like they do. The boxed mac is almost a perfect analogue to Velveeta style boxed mac and cheese! Blocks of Daiya cheese do not taste like blocks of Velveeta, however.

Saying/typing Velveeta is super weird now, I had to think for a moment before the name/brand came back to me. I lived on that stuff as a child, though - it was my grandma's favorite thing to cook with! So cheese sauce on everything is my comfort food!
(08-17-2017, 04:37 PM)Sabou Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-17-2017, 01:51 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]Daiya has a great boxed Mac-n-Cheese, which can be found in some grocery stores.

I'm going to check out my local grocery store to see if they carry the Daiya products, because after looking up Jade's mac and cheese recipe I am craving the freaking stuff and won't be able to attempt to make it until next week. 

Do you order that cheese online? I think I remember you posted this quite a while back and said you do order it? I doubt any stores in my area will carry it.

Yes, I order it online. It usually arrives in two days, well packaged and kept cool. Every single cheese she makes is great.

I agree with Jade about Daiya products. The mac-n-cheese in the box is good though, but I usually add my own herbs/spices, and raw grape tomatoes, broccoli, or asparagus. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16