Bring4th

Full Version: Why I am a Vegan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Alternet Wrote:Will Vegans Save the World? Eating Less Meat Will Reduce Earth’s Heat

The environment and climate would benefit substantially if more people gave up or at least cut down on meat and animal products—especially in over-consuming Western societies

By Dr. David Suzuki / DeSmogBlog

Will vegans save the world? Reading comments under climate change articles or watching the film Cowspiracy make it seem they’re the only ones who can. Cowspiracy boldly claims veganism is “the only way to sustainably and ethically live on this planet.” But, as with most issues, it’s complicated.

It’s true, though, that the environment and climate would benefit substantially if more people gave up or at least cut down on meat and animal products, especially in over-consuming Western societies. Animal agriculture produces huge amounts of greenhouse gas emissions, consumes massive volumes of water and causes a lot of pollution.

But getting a handle on the extent of environmental harm, as well as the differences between various agricultural methods and types of livestock, and balancing that with possible benefits of animal consumption and agriculture isn’t simple.

Estimates of how much animal agriculture adds to greenhouse gases range widely, from about 14 to more than 50 per cent of total global emissions. Agriculture exacerbates climate change in a number of ways. Clearing carbon sinks such as forests to grow or raise food can result in net greenhouse gas increases. Farming, especially on an industrial scale, also requires fossil fuel–burning machinery, as does processing and transporting agricultural products.

Determining the overall contribution is complicated by the fact that livestock agriculture accounts for about nine per cent of human-caused CO2 emissions but far greater amounts of other greenhouse gases, which are worse in many ways but less dangerous in others.

According to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, livestock farming produces 65 per cent of human-related nitrous oxide, which has 296 times the global warming potential as CO2. It also contributes “37 per cent of all human-induced methane (23 times as warming as CO2), which is largely produced by the digestive system of ruminants, and 64 per cent of ammonia, which contributes significantly to acid rain.” But methane stays in the atmosphere for about 12 years, and nitrous oxide for about 114, while CO2 remains for thousands of years.

Emissions also vary by livestock. Pigs and poultry contribute about 10 per cent of global agricultural emissions but provide three times as much meat as cattle — which are responsible for about 40 per cent of emissions — and use less feed. Some plant agriculture also causes global warming. Wetland rice cultivation produces methane and nitrous oxide emissions, the latter because of nitrogen fertilizer use. Different agricultural methods also have varying effects on climate. And some people, such as the Inuit, have adapted to meat-based diets because fresh produce is scarce — and flying it in causes more emissions than hunting and eating game.

The bottom line is that cutting down on or eliminating meat and other animal products from our diets is necessary for protecting humanity from runaway climate change — and from many other environmental consequences, including water scarcity, degraded ecosystems and pollution of waterways and oceans. The FAO reports that global demand for livestock products could increase 70 per cent by 2050 if nothing is done to slow consumption.

Worldwide meat-consumption rates show there’s room to cut down in industrialized countries, where the average person consumed 95.7 kilograms in 2015, compared to the 41.3-kilogram global average, and 31.6 in developing countries. People in South Asia eat less meat than anyone, at about 7.6 kilograms in 2015.

A study by scientists at the U.K.’s Oxford Martin School found global agriculture-related emissions could be cut by a third by 2050 if people followed simple health guidelines on meat consumption, by 63 per cent with widespread adoption of a vegetarian diet and 70 per cent with vegan. The authors found adopting healthier diets with less meat and animal products could also reduce global health-care costs by $1 billion a year by 2050.

Although switching to better agricultural methods and encouraging local consumption could also reduce emissions, those are topics for another column. In the meantime, we can do our part by at least cutting down on meat, especially red meat, or by taking the more significant step of adhering to a vegetarian or vegan diet.

Perhaps the best dietary advice for our own health and the planet’s is from food writer Michael Pollan: “Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.”

Source: Alternet, May 26, 2016

-`ღ´-

-`ღ´-
milk, eggs etc should be OK as long as the animals aren't under poor conditions or murdered imo.
(09-09-2016, 07:07 AM)Dog Star Wrote: [ -> ]milk, eggs etc should be OK as long as the animals aren't under poor conditions or murdered imo.

Unfortunately, for humans to consume milk, we have to slaughter the baby who was supposed to grow and be raised on the milk, which is why we eat veal and lamb. Egg production is pretty dependent upon killing all the males at infancy, as well. Also, we have bred chickens to be egg laying machines, which isn't good for them. A bird isn't supposed to lay an egg every day. A bird is supposed to lay an egg every day until it has a full clutch, however big that is for the species, and then it sits on the clutch and broods it. If you don't let a chicken build a clutch, it will constantly produce eggs in an effort to do so - an effort that will never come to fruition.
Well there are two unfortunate circumstances surrounding milk that most people don't know about..don't read on if you don't want to know. To get milk, we need to intentionally impregnate a cow, then take the calf away the day after it is born. When you think about it, that behavior in and of itself is quite bizarre and unfortunate. Some of the calves, especially males, go on to be sold for various reasons, including the production of veal.
Delete my post if you'd like, Jade.
No, if anything I should delete mine. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is sharing this with people when it comes up as such, and it felt nice and supportive that we both offered the same sad truth in the exact same moment. Luckily for all of us, dairy free cheese and soy/wheat meat alternatives are coming along quite nicely. And of course, nut milks are SO GOOD! I heard there's a new pea based milk that is supposed to be beyond delicious.
Almond milk is awesome. So is this pea milk by Ripple?
(09-09-2016, 12:59 PM)Icaro Wrote: [ -> ]Almond milk is awesome...

We discovered this only this week.  It's really awesome.  That's the proper word. Smile

Has anyone else tried coconut or cashew milk ice cream??? Holy cow. Uh, pun intended I guess. But seriously.

(09-09-2016, 12:59 PM)Icaro Wrote: [ -> ]Almond milk is awesome. So is this pea milk by Ripple?

I think so!! I haven't tried it yet. I have a Natural Grocers really nearby so I have a small selection of good substitutes, but their shelf space is severely limited. I think they might bring it in if I ask about it. I just love using Silk organic vanilla soy milk because I became addicted to it when I worked as a barista. Blush

When I was in Louisville, Gary took me to Whole Foods to get some snacks (a trip I don't make often here because it's 40 mins away) and I was blown away by all the choices!! I'm going to have to make the trek here soon, just to browse around at all the stuff I didn't even know existed.
we've had a farm when I was little, it's possible to milk a cow and still let it have it's baby. in no way do I agree on the current system
Patrick - True dat Smile

Jade - Silk is good too! I would ask about the pea milk for sure..I bet they'll do it. There's a Whole Foods coming to my town as well, which will be nice.

Dog Star - I thought you might be alluding to that in your other post, and I'm ok with that. If dairy can be done on a local scale as like a delicacy for say small batch cheeses and some milk or cooking creme here or there, I see no problem with it as long as it's all ethical.
Interesting video, especially from a spiritual point of view.
(10-08-2014, 02:36 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]not that I'm attached to labels, but I've switched to being a vegan.

vegetarian: no meat
vegan: as above, plus also no directly related animal products (no eggs or dairy basically).

why?

I can't say for sure.  Ever since I got back from Homecoming 2014 at the start of September (about 5 weeks now) I've initiated a series of changes to my life.  This is not unusual; other members and other attendees have also reported a similiar change of tact.  It's like something gets re-awakened or re-connected by being in such a positive space.  So many people, and so much clear heart radiation.

We talk about love.  We even experience with friends and significant others.  But the Law of Squares being what it is, when there is a grouped collection of aligned individuals such as at Homecoming, the effects can only be described as being Transcendent.

- -

so I dropped eggs and dairy from my diet.  Why?  It was actually incidental, rather than primary.  I've been using an electric frypan as my main cooking device for over 2 years now, and eggs and butter go well with that Smile.  I've also been enjoying my desserts over that time too (since the time I dropped meat at the start of 2013), and it's really made for satisfying and full meals to complete things with a huge serving of gourmet ice cream and organic yoghurt.  That sort of 'ultra-loading' was what enabled me to survive off one or two meals a day over the last 2 years.

But I was interested in a change post-Homecoming, and decided to purchase two rather intriguing devices.  One was a Masticating Juicer, and the other was a Pressure Cooker.  Both are kitchen devices that I've never owned before.

Juicer: enabled me to enjoy more 'difficult vege's' such as carrots and various leafy greens.  I love both of these things well cooked, but even so, there's only so much that you can eat of vege's (to me that is).  Juicing is a great way to get a surplus of nutrients without all the chewing and fibrous content etc.

Pressure Cooker: makes mince meat of brown rice.  One great recipe I've found is to throw in some of the dry pulp from the Juicer (just above!), and that way, you can 're-assemble' some of the whole food content.  In the pressure cooker, that pulp gets tender and thoroughly cooked in no time.

- -

that's the methodology, but not really an explanation for the Vegan Change.

I decided to drop Dairy for a couple of reasons.  One is that I am lactose intolerant by nature (asian genetics), and I can enjoy dairy, but only usually through taking some food enzyme pills.  I've never eaten a lot of dairy in my life (not a great attraction to cheese, hardly any ever milk, and occasional ice-cream for the most part), so I didn't really need it.  I did notice that I would suffer from the occasional indigestion from my meals, and I chalked that up to the dairy intolerance via my sumptuous deserts.  Plus I've had enough Ice Cream in the last couple of years to last me a lifetime lol.  I've sated that experience.  No more delights there BigSmile

as for eggs, they go well with frypans, and less so with Pressure Cookers.  I did try, but the effects are, quite obviously, overcooked eggs.  I liked my eggs sunny side up when I did use my frypan, so lightly done is my preference.  The proteins are also much more accesible when they are lightly done.  So the eggs were incompatible with pressure cooking for the most part.  I guess I could always crack an egg over the final cooked dish, and let the high latent heat do it's work, but I don't need it.  Again, I've had my fair share of free-range eggs the last 2 years.

- -

so how does it feel?  well, it's only been a couple of weeks since I started this new dietary tack, and so I'm still fine tuning things.  I also decided to add Celtic Salt to the mix (something I've never used previously either) to replace the liquid mineral supps I was taking.

anyway, so that's my story BigSmile

dang who told u about the masticating juicer? good job! was it me? either way nice getting one!!! they are the best for raw juice!

yea man i do the celtic sea salt too it's yummy.

you know the raw juice i brought it tastes a little like milk after you bless it

cucumber, tachyonized blue green algae https://tachyon-energy-products.com/prod...ae-1_4-lb/ , tumeric i get the pills, open them up and then empty them into a large bottle or mason jar, carrot, kale, celery, spinach, lemon, include the lemon rind into the masticator, you get some good stuff from the rind! beets beets are very grounding and detoxifying.

make sure to find some local raw honey. has to be raw.

if you want to go the long mile. i like to stick headphones on the bottle and pump solfeggio music to it, and make a crystal array around the bottle to charge it up even more. 

you get this rush tasting it for the first time. i dare u to try it with blessing and without.. taste the difference!. if i remember i will go home and take a picture of regular blue green algae and show you the difference between that and tachyonized blue green algae.

[Image: 227_zpsgsoed7j5.jpg]

[Image: 228_zpsk0x8xgj7.jpg]

look at that sparkly goodness

[Image: 134_zpsvl6vd142.jpg]

[Image: 107_zps0b2ejdpy.jpg]
ok, now it's weird
ra refers to it as higher vibrational foodstuffs, who says you can't take something already high vibration, and then put in some more. Vibration is frequency, and frequency is sound, or color, ultimately form. That's why it's called structuring the water when you bless it with your loving intentions.

It's not just the ingestion of foods from planet sources, it's the thanks that you give for it.
that sand is for eating ?
Lol I like the photo of the green juice with headphones. BigSmile

I juice as well, with an Omega NC800HDS. But I would like to get a Green Star Pro at some point.
... because it is necessary to eat animal products only in the rarest of rare circumstances.

Quo Wrote:Eating a diet which is balanced in its ability to provide the body what it needs in order to provide its portion of vital energy. You may fruitfully consider the grains, the vegetables, the dairy products to the extent that they are necessary, the animal products of an high order of being when necessary to increase low vital energy.

Ra Wrote:The vegetables, the fruits, the grains, and to the extent necessary for the individual metabolism, the animal products.
Meditation. Felt sick and found an answer. Thus, went vegan.
(09-15-2016, 05:03 PM)Patrick Wrote: [ -> ]Lol I like the photo of the green juice with headphones. BigSmile

I juice as well, with an Omega NC800HDS.  But I would like to get a Green Star Pro at some point.

i blast solfeggio music at sacred frequencies through the headphones, so it's intent and vibration =̴̶̷̤̄ .̫ =̴̶̷̤̄

@Jade - sorry to be a party pooper but I really think you should check this out: http://foodbabe.com/2012/05/22/watch-out...anic-food/

"Do you consume any of these brands in the picture below (Silk, Starbucks, So Delicious, Horizon, Zico, Blue Diamond, Pacific, Carnation and Tempt)? My guess is that you probably do.

A few days ago, the Cornucopia Institute released a Video by it’s co-founder and Senior Farm Analyst, Mark Kastel and a full PDF Report that shares some very startling practices between the USDA and the NOSA “National Organic Standards Board”- the agency that regulates organic food. This report explains the details behind several allegations of corporate corruption that has allowed several agribusinesses to use chemicals in organic products without sufficient regulatory oversight.
A Carcinogen Hiding In Organic Dairy & Dairy Substitutes
One of the findings has to do with a carcinogenic ingredient all these products have in common, a substance derived from red algae called carrageenan. Carrageenan can be found in most milk substitute products, infant formula, deli meats, cottage cheese and some flavored coconut waters regardless if the product is certified organic by the USDA. I know so many people who get soy lattes from Starbucks to avoid having to consume conventional milk products, so I thought it would be pertinent to include them here on the list below, since they and many other coffee shops use soy milk that contains carrageenan."

Also whoever said the stuff that looks like sand, it's blue green algae but tachyonized. I don't expect most people to understand what that is, there are some patents and write outs of what it means on the Advanced Tachyon Technologies website.
Thanks, BlatzAdict, for pointing this out - sure everyone has to do their own homework for all types of chosen foods. There's only one safe place - natural, unaltered foods like veg, grains, fruits, nuts, seeds etc. grown the organic way (probably even veganic), ideally by yourself in your own garden! For everything else a close look on ingredients and possible health hazards is always advisable, vegan or not.

-`ღ´-
I always feel like the carrageenan carcinogen scare is to get people wary of eating healthy. I mean, we've used carrageenan in baby formulas for a long time - why is it more of an outrage that we put it in soy milk?
(10-11-2016, 10:33 AM)Bring4th_Jade Wrote: [ -> ]I always feel like the carrageenan carcinogen scare is to get people wary of eating healthy. I mean, we've used carrageenan in baby formulas for a long time - why is it more of an outrage that we put it in soy milk?

Here is some more information that might prove current carrageenan manufacturing standards are not okay.  One of the problems with Organic is that a lot of times you can have GMO corn or chemicals and oils and nutrients derived from gmo vegetables that are then blended or mixed into a product labeled as organic.

"Carrageenan—Another Ingredient that Should Never have Been Approved

Quote:As mentioned earlier, once the Cornucopia Institute began reviewing carrageenan, a seaweed derivative used as a stabilizer, it became clear that just like Martek's DHA/ARA oils, it does not belong in truly organic foods. This is a timely issue, as carrageenan is currently up for a sunset reevaluation by the NOSB. (By law, all synthetic ingredients in organics must be reevaluated every five years.) According to Mark:

Quote:"When carrageenan was first reviewed in 1995, the NOSB, as required by law, looked at the potential environmental and health impacts after examining a technical review produced by three experts with corporate agribusiness ties: Dr. Steve Harper, director of R&D at Small Planet Foods (now owned by General Mills), Dr. Richard Theuer, a vice-president of R&D at Beech Nut, and Dr. Stephen Taylor, professor of food science at the University of Nebraska and defender of genetic engineering. Dr. Taylor has published studies on genetically engineered organisms (GMO) and allergy risks, co-authored by agribusiness scientists at DuPont and Pioneer Hi-Bred (manufacturers of chemicals and organic seed). 
This technical review hardly mentions some potential serious health impacts from degraded carrageenan, failing to cite any of the research to inform the board that historically, as much as 25 percent of carrageenan on the market was categorized as degraded. Current research shows all types of carrageenan can degrade in the body and can create serious known health impacts. 
A number of peer-reviewed published papers that should have been cited indicate that degraded carrageenan causes inflammation and can cause serious intestinal abnormalities. Degraded carrageenan is also considered a possible carcinogen, and it's in organic foods! There is no doubt that carrageenan is an inflammatory agent. In fact, in testing anti-inflammatory drugs, laboratory animals are given carrageenan to produce inflammatory symptoms. There's no secret in the medical community that this is a problem. 
The technical review also failed to document the known environmental hazards from discharge of alkaline water, the deleterious impacts of seaweed farming to coral reefs, coastal ecosystems, and mangroves. By law, organics is supposed to do no harm. By law, these environmental externalities needed to be considered. Now, carrageenan is up for review again this year. As before, no negative environmental impacts and no human health threats were recognized by the NOSB's industry-friendly handling subcommittee, which unanimously again recommends its approval. 
We must oppose the relisting of carrageenan and assure that it is taken out of organic foods. It shouldn't be in any food – conventional or organic. We need to be careful about reviews of all synthetics and organics. We need to re-review them, and the weight of your voice will help us make this argument.""

Source: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...foods.aspx

Supplementary Research: http://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/foo...enan-safe/

"When I first wrote about carrageenan on this site 10 years ago, I reported that some animal studies had linked degraded forms of carrageenan (the type not used in food) to ulcerations and cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. But around that time, a prominent researcher in the field, Joanne K. Tobacman, M.D., now associate professor of clinical medicine at the University of Illinois College of Medicine, conducted studies linking undegraded carrageenan – the type that is widely used in foods – with malignancies and other stomach problems. (Degraded and undegraded carrageenan differ by molecular weight with undegraded carrageenan having the higher weight.)  "
http://foodbabe.com/2014/08/19/breaking-...se-of-you/

"Earlier today, I received an anonymous email that stated:

“To whom it may concern, Through friends I have made in the industry an announcement from Whitewave was shared with me regarding their removal of Carrageenan from their products. Due to the overwhelming pressure from consumers and encouragement from your website foodbabe.com, Whitewave has announced that they will be removing Carrageenan. Keep up the good work. Attached you will find the announcement letter from Whitewave regarding this”.
Along with this attached document from Whitewave Foods:

We are removing carrageenan from our Horizon and Silk products!

Our consumers have expressed a desire for products without it and we are listening!
Carrageenan will be removed from Horizon flavored milk in Q1 2015, and from all other Horizon items by Q2 2015 (eggnog, Tuberz, heavy whipping cream, regular and lowfat cottage cheese and lowfat sour cream).
It will be removed from our top 5 Silk ESL Soy and Coconut beverages by Q2 2015 and remaining Silk Aseptic and other ESL products by end of 2016.
What is carrageenan?
A purified extract of red seaweed that is widely used in food and beverage products as a natural thickener and stabilizer. Allowed for use in organic products since 1995
National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) Handling Committee voted unanimously in February 2012 to recommend it for relisting
Food grade carrageenan is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by FDA, and is permitted for use by federal and international food safety agencies including FDA, and Health Canada"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay sorry for wall of text, BUT THIS IS AMAZING!!!!! THE VIBRATION of the earth consciousness quotient IS RAISING woo hoo!!!!
(10-11-2016, 11:07 AM)BlatzAdict Wrote: [ -> ]One of the problems with Organic is that a lot of times you can have GMO corn or chemicals and oils and nutrients derived from gmo vegetables that are then blended or mixed into a product labeled as organic.

Wow, if this was true, this would imply horrible and corporate ethics and organic standards (or lax controls) in the States, and this would really be sad. As far as I am aware that's definitely not the case in Europe (might still be worth double-checking foodstuffs from the States, and other countries like China)... That's of course not the way organic foods should be produced and organic advocates strive for. (Still, chances even under such circumstances would be much better to ingest and pay for less substances like the ones you mentioned - GMOs, substances derived from GMOs, chemicals, oils - with organic foods than with conventional ones.) Grow your own, as much as possible, if only on a windowsill, and prepare your own foods, as this benefits a M/B/S complex in many ways - plus many other-selves and the Earth itself.

-`ღ´-
(09-09-2016, 12:35 PM)Bring4th_Jade Wrote: [ -> ]I'm glad I'm not the only one that is sharing this with people when it comes up as such, and it felt nice and supportive that we both offered the same sad truth in the exact same moment. 

There are literally years of support and sharing here at B4 in more than one thread for compassionate, aware, and healthy eating. Smile
Well of course, though in my post I seemed to be talking about a very specific now moment, as well as my personal struggle with being a "vegan activist". It's such a difficult line to walk - to encourage and educate people without guilting and shaming them. Of course, you're aware of this as well!! But my post was certainly not intending to dismiss anyone else's attempts in other moments of sharing and support, just to revel in my own. Blush
Did someone mention seitan?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16